Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Replacing NiCd Batteries

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:03 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Replacing NiCd Batteries Reply with quote

I have an power battery pack, It's for a portable playstation.

It outputs 7.2v and has NiCd Batteries in it. It claims 1900mah, when new, 15-20 years ago Obviously it is mostly knackered now. At best it will run for ~30 minutes. I figure I should be able to replace the existing cells with more modern batteries and have it much better than it was originally.

Any idea what type of batteries would be good to use?

I know LiPo are good but I believe charging them is more complicated and there is a risk or fire if it isn't done right. I'd like to avoid that Laughing

The charger supplied puts out 200ma, it would be handy to continue using that if possible. I do have a proper balance/timed charger but I'd don't want to faff with that. I want to plug it in and forget about it to charge it.

I have soldering kit and am not awful at using it.

I don't really want to spend more than £20 all in, batteries and charger if required.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have standard sized batteries inside. ie, AAA or the like or is it their own design/shape?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Nimh batteries they're tolerant and don't explode if you puncture overcharge or hit them too hard.

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/overlander-3300mah-7-2v-nimh-battery-pack-stick-subc-tamiya-rc-car/?CAWELAID=730003540000009675&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=41817707643&CATCI=pla-322076968291&CATARGETID=730003540000018276&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvpPizMW71wIV1kAbCh2PmgSgEAQYASABEgJF3_D_BwE

Just cut out the old cells cut off the mini tamiya. Or add a Mini tamiya to the power pack and slot them in. Job jobbed.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:28 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Does it have standard sized batteries inside. ie, AAA or the like or is it their own design/shape?

I don't know yet I haven't taken it apart however it looks like the R/C car packs would fit.

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:36 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Use Nimh batteries they're tolerant and don't explode if you puncture overcharge or hit them too hard.

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/overlander-3300mah-7-2v-nimh-battery-pack-stick-subc-tamiya-rc-car/?CAWELAID=730003540000009675&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=41817707643&CATCI=pla-322076968291&CATARGETID=730003540000018276&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvpPizMW71wIV1kAbCh2PmgSgEAQYASABEgJF3_D_BwE

Just cut out the old cells cut off the mini tamiya. Or add a Mini tamiya to the power pack and slot them in. Job jobbed.

Silly question how does charging work? What governs the max draw?

As I understand it the rating on a Transformer is the max it safely have drawn through it. Would a bigger battery draw more, or is the rating on the plug the limit?

Say I got a 1a or 2a 7.2v plug. would the battery take 'what it needs' or the lot?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiCd batteries are usually charged with a constant current circuit as they're very low impedance internally - you might have to consider a different charger. Or you could buy some NiCds to replace the old ones...

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2S-7-4V-5200mAh-30C-LiPo-Battery-Deans-for-RC-Helicopter-Airplane-Drone-Hobby/162614715393?hash=item25dc97a401:g:RPYAAOSw2RdZgT-l

2s 5200mah lipo

get a charger from the bay or splash out on a decent charger (i have an imax b6)

charging is fine just plug them in and wait
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive never had a lipo go south on me..

i had a boat sink with a lipo in it once.. didnt go boom or pop, i ended up decommissioning the battery with a nail to be safe and that was crap just smoked a bit.

get a lipo pouch if youre scared but ive done some suspect things with lipos and never had an issue.

had a glider fall out the sky and hit the floor hard enough to smash the glider up and the lipo was all gravy.

shorted one out many times by accident too.. was fine.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Don’t LiPo explode on impact? Are they deemed safe now?

They can bust into flames if you puncture them, but to get that sort of failure you have to pretty much stab through mulitple cells.

Just charge them in a LiPo bag or an empty biscuit tin, and charge them away from things that could catch fire if one goes pop.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:

i had a boat sink with a lipo in it once.. didnt go boom or pop, i ended up decommissioning the battery with a nail to be safe and that was crap just smoked a bit.

get a lipo pouch if youre scared but ive done some suspect things with lipos and never had an issue.

had a glider fall out the sky and hit the floor hard enough to smash the glider up and the lipo was all gravy.

I refer you to this thread Thumbs Up

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Despined_By_Ex wrote:

I refer you to this thread Thumbs Up

Quote:

I believe the cause was a short somewhere with the balance leads

his was shorted for a long period of time.

play stupid games with batteries win stupid prizes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 130 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1