xs500 not starting (driving me crazy)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:26 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
You need to check the gaskets between the cylinder head and the inlet manifolds Thumbs Up

Part #1 on the fiche

https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs500-1977-1h3-europe-1h228-198e5_model37276/partslist/0025.html#results

I think they're fine. I sprayed around there when checking for leaks and the revs didn't change. It also wasn't doing this when i had the original airbox on.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:39 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:
Quote:
but when I open the throttle it splutters.

Classic fuel starvation/too lean a mixture. Still convinced this is a simple air/fuel mixture problem, very likely eminating from the air box side. Wondering if you can have the carbs balanced? Also recheck for any splits/air leaks on the intake side. Are the intake rubbers securely clipped and/or tightened up properly? Sometimes a connection may look tight, but when the engine is running, air may be getting draw in between the carb and intake port.

Hate these little problems, they are so simple yet drive me demented Evil or Very Mad

I'm fairly certain there aren't any leaks downstream of the carbs. On the other side theres a set of new pod filters.

This is getting confusing. I thought when the idle speed hangs up, the mixture is too rich. But the splutter when throttle open is fuel starvation ?
Would this mean in need a bigger main jet ?

Bru
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:16 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance the throttle cable or slide is sticking? Happened to me, due to a mis-routing problem. Could be checked off by revving at full swing of the bars, both sides.

Clutching at straws now...

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:00 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bru wrote:
Any chance the throttle cable or slide is sticking? Happened to me, due to a mis-routing problem. Could be checked off by revving at full swing of the bars, both sides.

Clutching at straws now...

Nope, throttle cable moves freely. I've replaced the slides because they were sticking already.

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:32 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe fuel stavation from the petrol tap. the throttle cable might be moveing freely but it still has to be routed the correct way.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:22 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bypass2 wrote:
maybe fuel stavation from the petrol tap. the throttle cable might be moveing freely but it still has to be routed the correct way.

Throttle cable is definitely routed correctly. It has a honda cb 250 tank with a new fuel tap.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
So I picked up a new plug and stuck it in. It struggled to start but eventually did but was only firing on the right. I unscrewed the pilot on the left and it started to kick in. It would idle at about 1.5 k but when I gave it a little rev past 2k it it wouldnt go back down to idle . It instead would climb up and up past 6k.
What should I be adjusting ?

Are both pilot jets set to the correct turns out, as recommended by the manufacturer?
The pilots control zero to 1/4 throttle, if they're not set correctly you will have difficulty starting and achieving a smooth idle.
As I said before are you absolutely certain the diaphragms are seated correctly and are 100% leak free?

Have you checked and tested the condenser for the points?
IME, when working on minis, the first port of call for an ignition problem would be a new condenser, 9 times out of ten it would cure the problem!

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:10 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Are both pilot jets set to the correct turns out, as recommended by the manufacturer?
The pilots control zero to 1/4 throttle, if they're not set correctly you will have difficulty starting and achieving a smooth idle.
As I said before are you absolutely certain the diaphragms are seated correctly and are 100% leak free?

Have you checked and tested the condenser for the points?
IME, when working on minis, the first port of call for an ignition problem would be a new condenser, 9 times out of ten it would cure the problem!

recommended pilot setting are 1 - 1 1/4 turns out. I've been messing with this to try and make it run best with the pods. currently at 1 1/2 turns out.

These carbs have a different type of diaphragm. you can't really seat it incorrectly. They've been replaced as the last ones were leaking. Condenser in also new.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:54 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed today. before i start it, the fuel lines are full of fuel but when its running you can see the fuel dripping through. not sure it the petcock isn't flowing eneough or it's a carb problem. (petcock is new)

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:04 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is a cb250 petrol tap would that have enough petrol flow fore the xs500 carbs. maybe the cb250 tap is restricting the xs500 carbs

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:40 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bypass2 wrote:
if it is a cb250 petrol tap would that have enough petrol flow fore the xs500 carbs. maybe the cb250 tap is restricting the xs500 carbs

I was thinking that, but could it be really using fuel faster than the rate it flows out of the fuel tap ?
If that were so it would have a range of like 10 miles.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:54 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a new fuel tap with two outlets rather than one. It didn't make any difference to the problem. At full throttle it stutters a lot. Im gonna increase the main jet size, should i go up one or two sizes ?

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:32 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the float heights are they set right. guessing what about the battery is that fully charged
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2