Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha YBR 125 Carburettor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

eNtak
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Yamaha YBR 125 Carburettor Reply with quote

I have recently acquired a Yamaha YBR 125 2007 Carb version, I have pulled the carb and can see that it has MIKUNI on it and looks relatively old. The carb has a Deicer on it.

Am i right in thinking this is a MUKINI VM22 carb ? I am unsure of what carb comes stock with the carb version of the ybr 125.

Does anyone have any ideas ? Question Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:12 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha normally fitted Mikuni carbs....
Err. why does it look 'old' the bike is a decade old! And they weren't going to change something that worked, just to make it 'look' more modern, when carburettors were going to be rendered obsolete by emmision controls that begged fuel injection, were they? Especially on what was almost thier cheapest product!!

Most important question though... WHY did yo take it off?

If it aint broke don't fix it! If it is broke, tackle the job from the top, and start with the simple and easy.... the carburettor is about the most intricate bit of a motorbike engine, unless you have VERY good reason to fiddle, leave the effn thing alone!

If the bike has 'problems', the carburettor is often the fist thing pulled off and cocked up.. when it is so often almost the last thing to cause trouble!

If it dont start too well... check the battery! Check the solenoid! Check the starter! Check the compression! Check the tappets! Check the spark plug! Check the exhaust for a potatoe up ts chuff!!! If it dont run too well... see above!

Carburettors, are basically a tube in a jam-jar. They are pre-set for almost everythig at the factory, and dont easily wear out, certainly not like valve-guides, tappets, cam lobes, drive chains or clutch plates.

About the only real problem they ca have is being left unused, when the float needle may go a lttle sticky, and fuel may evaporate leaving a crust of petrol salts in the pipes.... and unless its been allowed to get very bad, and you can get the engie to run, the best way to 'wash' them and 'unstick' float needle, is to fill th thing with fresh petrol and give it a darn good long hard run to flush it through the pipes.

"Oh, you should clean the carburettor!" as first course of action for any percieved problem from the exhaust billowing black smoke to having a flat tyre is the bain of motorcycle mechanics! It really is.... SO many MAKE more problems than they ever solve 'fiddling' with the dang things, fiddling with the mixture screw, taking them off, taking them apart, loosing the needle retaning clip, putting them back on with old, hard flattened gaskets, etc etc etc....

UNLESS you have DAMN good reason to take the carburettor off, LEAVE the effing thing alone until you have!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:14 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef, fuck off and stop being a miserable rude cunt.

OP, do you have a photo of the current carb? It should be a 26mm VM22. It should also have it stamped somewhere on there.

Whats the actual issue?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

eNtak
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Yamaha normally fitted Mikuni carbs....
Err. why does it look 'old' the bike is a decade old! And they weren't going to change something that worked, just to make it 'look' more modern, when carburettors were going to be rendered obsolete by emmision controls that begged fuel injection, were they? Especially on what was almost thier cheapest product!!

Most important question though... WHY did yo take it off?

If it aint broke don't fix it! If it is broke, tackle the job from the top, and start with the simple and easy.... the carburettor is about the most intricate bit of a motorbike engine, unless you have VERY good reason to fiddle, leave the effn thing alone!

If the bike has 'problems', the carburettor is often the fist thing pulled off and cocked up.. when it is so often almost the last thing to cause trouble!

If it dont start too well... check the battery! Check the solenoid! Check the starter! Check the compression! Check the tappets! Check the spark plug! Check the exhaust for a potatoe up ts chuff!!! If it dont run too well... see above!

Carburettors, are basically a tube in a jam-jar. They are pre-set for almost everythig at the factory, and dont easily wear out, certainly not like valve-guides, tappets, cam lobes, drive chains or clutch plates.

About the only real problem they ca have is being left unused, when the float needle may go a lttle sticky, and fuel may evaporate leaving a crust of petrol salts in the pipes.... and unless its been allowed to get very bad, and you can get the engie to run, the best way to 'wash' them and 'unstick' float needle, is to fill th thing with fresh petrol and give it a darn good long hard run to flush it through the pipes.

"Oh, you should clean the carburettor!" as first course of action for any percieved problem from the exhaust billowing black smoke to having a flat tyre is the bain of motorcycle mechanics! It really is.... SO many MAKE more problems than they ever solve 'fiddling' with the dang things, fiddling with the mixture screw, taking them off, taking them apart, loosing the needle retaning clip, putting them back on with old, hard flattened gaskets, etc etc etc....

UNLESS you have DAMN good reason to take the carburettor off, LEAVE the effing thing alone until you have!!!

I get it "LEAVE the effing thing alone".
I know not to mess with the carb unless it is needed..... i'm not stupid as that seems to be how you have come across?? Talking as if I am some total noob to the scene, I didn't ask for the history of the YBR "the bike is a decade old!" nor it's production cost "almost their cheapest product!!"

When I mentions that it was old I was talking the the terms of dirt, grime, oxidisation, been sat for a while with fuel in....that kind of old.

The carb needs rebuilding and that is why I ask the question "Am I right in thinking this is a MIKUNI VM22 carb?" If im honest I was expect a reply with "Yeah that a Mukini VM22" or something along those lines...not life lessons on how to work with carbs or how to troubleshoot a non starting engine.

Yes the carb will have oxidisation "the bike is a decade old!" I simply asked if any nice person on this forum could provide the model number for the carb so I can order a rebuild kit Smile

eNtak
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Tef, fuck off and stop being a miserable rude cunt.

OP, do you have a photo of the current carb? It should be a 26mm VM22. It should also have it stamped somewhere on there.

Whats the actual issue?

Yeah man, Nice to see someone willing to help in regards the question I asked and not give me life lessons Smile

I have pictures yes, but hey arent that great but Iwill get them for ya now. All i see stamped or casted on the carb is MIKUNI and JAPAN something.

Here are some poor pictures
https://imgur.com/a/ImO0r

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:58 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Able to get accurate measurement of the centre to centre holes that bolt to the inlet manifold? I'd expect the big hole to be 26mm. It certainly looks like a VM22 and I'd probably suggest taking the bowl off and checking the jet sizes though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1