Motorways on Asprilla RS50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:52 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

Oh you thought I was being "super-arsey" in the other thread, yeah not even a bit.

No. Humpty. There is a subtle difference between being an arse and taking the hump.

Quote:
I was objecting to the cost of it all doesn't so much apply for a 125 where I can practice without paying some bellend to tell me how shit I am all day.

See. Humpty.

Sounds like you've attempted a test before?

EDIT: Anyway, what's an Asprilla? Sounds like a soft drink or a painkiller. Do you mean Aprillia?

Last edited by stinkwheel on 19:54 - 18 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:54 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:
Motorbike hire place or an asprilla dealership

Okay, which motorbike hire place or Aprilia dealership did you have in mind?

https://www.apriliahire.co.uk/

Although I haven't decided whether to go ahead with it yet though; party why I asked on the forum. No guarantee I could get legal in time.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:57 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is going to hire you an RS50. Nobody.

Might stand a chance of hiring a twist and go 50 or a 125 though. If you've done your CBT/A1 test, why would you even want to take anything smaller than a 125 on the motorway?

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:57 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

Oh you thought I was being "super-arsey" in the other thread, yeah not even a bit.

No. Humpty. There is a subtle difference between being an arse and taking the hump.

Well you're the one who accussed me of being arsey, were you not?

Quote:
I was objecting to the cost of it all doesn't so much apply for a 125 where I can practice without paying some bellend to tell me how shit I am all day.

See. Humpty.

Sounds like you've attempted a test before?

EDIT: Anyway, what's an Asprilla? Sounds like a soft drink or a painkiller. Do you mean Aprillia?[/quote]

Yeah that's not me. Although I sympathise with that bloke, government shouldn't be dictating what speed we ride, if we aren't breaking the law who gives a fuck.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:01 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

Do they even hire out RS50 bikes?

tentativebiker wrote:
government shouldn't be dictating what speed we ride, if we aren't breaking the law who gives a fuck.

If you're going shit slow then everyone stuck behind you gives a fuck.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:02 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

Do they even hire out RS50 bikes?

tentativebiker wrote:
government shouldn't be dictating what speed we ride, if we aren't breaking the law who gives a fuck.

If you're going shit slow then everyone stuck behind you gives a fuck.

Shit slow is 20 in a 60 not 30 in a 40. And people behind can give a shit, you shouldn't fail your test for it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:05 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 in a 40 is shit slow.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:08 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
30 in a 40 is shit slow.

No it really isn't. Traffic does that cos of congestion half the time, and the other half the time it does twenty. That dude was unlucky to have a test where speed limits actually meant anything

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 in a 40 during good weather conditions while on a test would demonstrate that the rider is not confident enough to be on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:13 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
30 in a 40 during good weather conditions while on a test would demonstrate that the rider is not confident enough to be on the road.

Not it wouldn't, it would demonstrate they like riding a 30. It's only our bullshit testing system that makes that a confidence thing. I should be allowed to ride a 10 on a motorway provided it isn't affecting anybody in the vicinity. If it's clear of traffic who gives a shit? Same as you should be allowed to max your bike out on an empty stretch of road if there's clearly no cars on it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:19 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means ride shit slow on empty roads if you want but if you choose to do it in your test then you will fail. For test purposes you need to demonstrate that you're able to ride at the speed of normal traffic and that you're paying enough attention to know what the speed limit is.

Rather obviously you're not going to get marked down for going at the speed of the traffic if the traffic is going at 20mph in a 40 zone but if there's no good reason for going slowly then that's a bad thing.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:45 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
By all means ride shit slow on empty roads if you want but if you choose to do it in your test then you will fail. For test purposes you need to demonstrate that you're able to ride at the speed of normal traffic and that you're paying enough attention to know what the speed limit is.

Rather obviously you're not going to get marked down for going at the speed of the traffic if the traffic is going at 20mph in a 40 zone but if there's no good reason for going slowly then that's a bad thing.

But that's my point the test is flawed, I've got every right to do 10mph on an empty road as I'm not a danger to other road users; and the test is there to ensure exactly that.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:47 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ride more slowly than the posted limit and it causes "inconvenience" to another road user, you are guilty of an offence of "Inconsiderate Driving.

The Crown Prosecution Service lists "Unnecessarily slow driving." as one of the examples that would make them consider a driver for prosecution for this offence.

So. If you're riding below the speed limit by yourself. Fair do's. If there is another driver behind you who is inconvenienced, you're committing an offence.

So what you're effectively saying is you think a driving examiner should ignore someone committing a road traffic offence on their test?

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:50 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If you ride more slowly than the posted limit and it causes "inconvenience" to another road user, you are guilty of an offence of "Inconsiderate Driving.

The Crown Prosecution Service lists "Unnecessarily slow driving." as one of the examples that would make them consider a driver for prosecution for this offence.

So. If you're riding below the speed limit by yourself. Fair do's. If there is another driver behind you who is inconvenienced, you're committing an offence.

So what you're effectively saying is you think a driving examiner should ignore someone committing a road traffic offence on their test?

The thing is if no-one is there, as you've pointed out, they aren't committing an offence. As it stands driving examiners and riding examiners would fail you for it, even though you aren't putting anyone in danger. That's what needs to change.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:51 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

The thing is if no-one is there, as you've pointed out, they aren't committing an offence. As it stands driving examiners and riding examiners would fail you for it, even though you aren't putting anyone in danger. That's what needs to change.

There is an examiner.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:52 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

There is an examiner.

They are not another road user in any real sense though, they are in your vehicle. You shouldn't be failed because your perfectly legal driving might put an examiner late for the next twat?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:57 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

They are not another road user in any real sense though, they are in your vehicle. You shouldn't be failed because your perfectly legal driving might put an examiner late for the next twat?

Umm. They are following you in a hire van.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:58 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

Umm. They are following you in a hire van.

Fair point. But they shouldn't be counted, I was thinking more in terms of car tests for a minute.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

But that's my point the test is flawed, I've got every right to do 10mph on an empty road as I'm not a danger to other road users; and the test is there to ensure exactly that.

Of course the test is flawed. They have mere minutes to judge if you are safe to ride/drive for decades and decades. If you are unable to demonstrate that you are a competent rider, how can you expect them to pass you?

Show them you can ride, then once you've passed, if the roads are clear, ride however slow you like.

With regards to riding flat out, you don't know what's around the next corner, or what animal is going to run out from the bushes, so that's a different matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:05 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

Of course the test is flawed. They have mere minutes to judge if you are safe to ride/drive for decades and decades. If you are unable to demonstrate that you are a competent rider, how can you expect them to pass you?

Show them you can ride, then once you've passed, if the roads are clear, ride however slow you like.

With regards to riding flat out, you don't know what's around the next corner, or what animal is going to run out from the bushes, so that's a different matter.

Or just stay on your L plates and not worry

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed that is a major flaw.

There is a worse one though. Before I had a full bike licence, I was able to ride a 50cc WITHOUT having to do a CBT every couple of years.

But that all aside, do you follow my point about having to show the examiner that you are capable?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:16 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
They have mere minutes to judge if you are safe to ride/drive for decades and decades. If you are unable to demonstrate that you are a competent rider, how can you expect them to pass you?

OP will fail the attitude test within seconds of meeting the examiner. Laughing

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:24 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorways on Asprilla RS50 Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
So I'm thinking of doing a round-trip motorway tour in January-February on an Asprilla RS50. I've planned to the route out;

going to take the M6 then come of at the M42, hop on the M25 for a once round London and then head north on the M1 and A1(M) before knocking across the M62 to rejoin the M6. Should be a nice fun ride on the Asprilla RS50, she's got lots of character. Planning on getting it done in a week.

Anyone have any advice for motorway touring on 50cc? What's the best options? Should I derestrict it? Should I use the middle and outer lane all the way, to avoid possibly being stuck behind lorries who might not see me? If I don't derestict it, should I just ride along in the hard shoulder to avoid holding over traffic back?

How do I tick up a race with another biker, should I just start accelerating when they raise their hand to wave? Do I need to stop at service stations, or can I just ride flat out and eat on the go? My indicators are a bit smashed up, will that matter too much? A tank of fuel in a RS50 will get me 250 miles won't it?

Oh and of course any tips for winter riding?

Go for it I say. When stopped by Dibble, just tell him you haven't read the Highway Code for a while, and forgot about all the traffic violations in your plan, he'll probably just laugh and let you off with a stern telling off, you should vlog it and show vid on here for our amus...information.

Oh forgot to add, a top tip, safest and driest place on a motorway on a bike is under the trailer, between waggon and trailer wheels, you get taught I when you pass your test, it's a well kept secret, I do it all the time.

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s APRILIA... APRILIA

Quote:
going to take the M6 then come of at the M42, hop on the M25 for a once round London and then head north on the M1 and A1(M) before knocking across the M62 to rejoin the M6. Should be a nice fun ride on the Asprilla RS50, she's got lots of character.

Laughing Laughing

APRILIA
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP, right now:-

https://www.haverodwilltravel.com/images/Trolling%202.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2