Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So i stripped a thread...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:19 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: So i stripped a thread... Reply with quote

Tightening my exhaust head bolt (top bolt - aprillia rs125) and it just keeps going and going and i start wonder why its not tightening, before realising ive stripped the thread. Phoned the mechanics up and it'd be £50 for them to repair and thats with me taking off my fairings. Is there a cheaper alternative? The bike sounds so much louder now that its loose and ive got less power and 2 stroke oil leaks out from the head as a result sometimes.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fleabay a helicoil set for £15 (or £25 for a full set) and fix it yourself? Then in future you'll be equipped and able to fix any other stripped threads as well Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: thread Reply with quote

You can just see how horribly wrong this is gunna go cant you..........

Can you see any thread left in the head at all, and how deep does the hole go ??

Do you have a tap of the correct thread for the existing bolt??

By tap I don't mean the thing that water comes out of, sorry but.......

What size and pitch is the oe bolt ?

Post a picture or 2 of the hole etc....

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY helicoil is your cheapest option. It's really not that difficult to do. Just follow the instructions carefully and take your time.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
DIY helicoil is your cheapest option. It's really not that difficult to do. Just follow the instructions carefully and take your time.

And don't drill through the cylinder wall, into the piston and Helicoil the piston to the block.

That will cure the loud exhaust noise mind you. Smile

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:02 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill take a few pictures tomorrow but i think its best to leave the job to the guys at the mechanics cause they dont have the cheap chinese tools and they've got the experience. I have seen videos and it seems do-able, but its just waiting for the tools and new bolts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't want to cut my teeth on helicoiling by doing an exhaust port thread.

I don't know how accessible an Aprilia head is but most bikes I've replaced exhaust headers have been enough of a awkward pig without having to play with helicoils, especially if you haven't got decent tools, ie, drills, taps etc.

Get a garage to do it this time.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:49 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Aprilia was spring based exhaust... my early model was. Perhaps the later ones went to bolt on.

Accessibility isn't too bad tbh as its usually in pieces. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1