Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Finally I can Update my signature! Pic Heavy lower down!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replies in bold cause formatting is hard and lazy

The back sprockets a bit rough looking. Im sure its fine but its going to be a future replacement Smile
Doesnt look too bad, halfway out the chain limiters.

Not sure how this happened to the radiator... Will try and straighten that, and probably fit a grill for it.

They all look like that, just make sure the fan comes on at the right temp

And yes the tank............ yes.......
It looks like the previous owner must have touched up with some unsuitable spray paint and this happened. Its not even black metallic like the original... nor glossy.
The dealership gave me second tank they had lying around. Has some rust issues down the bottom but looks better... Will see how far the rust goes but might repair that then place onto the bike... while i repaint the original tank
I wouldn't care, but try to have a look inside for rust in both, if it's been sat for a while empty it may have some rust which will be annoying for the fuel system.

Leaky seals and some rust on the fork chrome... The rust is futher up so its not terribly urgent. But another replace down the line, must fix the leaky seal though...
They sold you a bike from a dealership with leaky seals? Good luck with that, it can be a ballache, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted

Some scrappy bits of nothing in the under seat box. Kinda hoped to find basic tools :p Nope...
Find out what sizes most things are and put in a plastic bag with a small towel, two 10 spanners, 1 twelve, small allen tool and screwdriver multi head etc.

WTF IS THAT?!
Tbh my guess is its some kind of auto chain oiler? Its certainly after market. The zip ties dont even match...
It is a scottoiler auto chain oiler. Look up the different models to see how it works, if it's vacuum or electric etc

Not shown in the pictures are the handle bars that are bent and need replacing...
Bent bars? are the forks straight or twisted?!

Nor did i take a picture of the crack in the fairing... but thats no big issue. Easy repair.

Top priority is replacing handlebar, I might also change the style of bar, not keen on the possession of the ones that are on there. Totally wrong angle...
Why did you buy a bike with a position you don't like?

Then fork seals, that has to be fixed.

Then brakes binding. While it rides fine, its a bitch to push. I do need to get used to the heavier weight (its not light) but it is a right bitch to push...
Probably from lack of use. They may free up a little with use, but best to get the calipers off and assess.

The brake disks themselves could probably go for another 6 months to a year maybe... So no desperate need to replace them. Im not flush with cash esp after buying this so no unnecessary costs...
You've just come up with an arbitrary figure, 6 months to a year is what in mileage? If they are excessively worn or warped they'll need replacing, if not then they won't.

The chrome forks again. Could go on for a while yet. The corrosion is more further up the tube than in the important areas. And theyre shockingly expensive to buy new too...

Now one last thing... How does one lower the bike a little? Not by much just an inch maybe... I can get both feet flat on the ground but esp with the brakes binding a little its really REALLY hard to move the bike while sitting on it.
Buy a lowering kit. Or take an inch out the seat. But to be honest, both feet flat on the ground is about as good as it gets.

While sure it needs a little work I still think I got a good bike for 1300... Feel free to tell me im wrong Very Happy

If you're happy with it then sure.

I would look into some form of engine protection. It's going to be a lot more weight and power than you're used to at the wrong time of year to be starting as an excitable young person. You'll probably have a little slide and scuff the hell out of it, so getting some sliders or engine bars is probably wise.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:18 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im hardly a young excitable person.... im 35 old fat and boring..... Oh and balding...
But Yeah i have thought a little about something like that to protect the engine...

Bu im also a fairly safe rider, Im not a speed freak, I got this bike because its known for being sensible... But obviously reading here its got a bit more ommph in it :p

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a cheap bike.
it needs some work
it would look nicer if it had some more money.

work it needs,
bent bars; a cheap and easy fix. find some bars that are at an angle and height you would prefer ,fit em get on with stuff.
leaky forks;just do the seals .
hard to push; have a few hours round the binding brakes,clean and make sure pistons move freely,make sure pads slide out in caliper etc.

stuff to make it nicer?
shit paint on tank,just ignore,keep an eye on ebay .but dont worry.
dont mess with rad fins.
if you can flat foot why would you want it lower?if its hard to move then fix the binding brakes.

other than that just pass your test and enjoy.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a heavy bike, it's not (or shouldn't be awkward to move). My wife used mine for years and went on tours in Europe with me. If you can't paddle back and forth easily those brakes are binding. She didn't flat foot (you are lucky).

Those brakes need a full strip and clean and probably one or two new pistons. On mine the seals came past the piston, although I know this can happen on any calliper, this is the only one I'd seen it happen. And I've had some bikes with shitty brakes.

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy it from the garage near tallington ?

Lots to do so you'll have a bike you'll completely trust .

Chris

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:38 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebbs73 wrote:
Did you buy it from the garage near tallington ?

Lots to do so you'll have a bike you'll completely trust .

Chris

yes >.>
Are you the Guy we brought it from? Or the original owner?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having bikes in your signature leaves you open to abuse... more open to abuse.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:42 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't be trying to sit astride it and paddle it along unless space is too tight to stand next to it.

How to push your bike about was literally the first thing you were shown how to do on your CBT. You're a big boy with a big bike now, stand on the left side to push it about, cover the brake.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Im hardly a young excitable person.... im 35 old fat and boring..... Oh and balding...
But Yeah i have thought a little about something like that to protect the engine...

I assumed you were a teenager from the way you type, apologies.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:49 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tank would have had me running a mile, but then the OP is this '17 again' poster who wanted to buy an SV650 with a f*cked gearbox, and then some other deathtrap bandit and now this. It could be worse I suppose.

Is it not obvious the Scottoiler is a chain oiler? It's got the word 'oiler' in the name? Did you not think to google 'Scottoiler'? We have magic devices we keep in our pockets which can answer almost any question. You wouldn't have even had to come indoors and boot up the PC!

Both tyres look squared off to f*ck too. My GF's ER6N looked like that when we bought it. Riding bolt upright must be a trait of some ER riders. The guy who sold it to us had fitted heated grips in such a way that the heated grip cable prevented the throttle from opening fully. It had about a quarter of the usual travel. He complained the bike felt a bit 'slow'. For me, five minutes rerouting the cable and the bike was back to full power. Similarly a set of new tyres and she's good. That said, her bike is otherwise mint, cost £2500 and has done 7k miles. A much better buy in my opinion, but yours was cheap. Cheap bikes are rarely perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP has bought a mobile pile of scrap. Who saw that coming?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I seriously wonder about the average bcf user these days. What’s so hard about buying a reasonable example of a popular middle of the road commuter bike? Why have we ended up at the point of buying a bike off a dealer with shagged tank paint, a possible bent front end and questionable consumables? I firmly believe it’s down to a combination of sheer laziness (can’t be arsed travelling) and money burning a hole in your pocket.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:28 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes wonder why I bother posting here at all...

I clearly cant see to get anything right... If its not one thing its another. The amount of looking down ones nose elitist tripe is starting to really get on my tits.

No I couldnt not afford a PERFECT bike. I didnt have over 2 grand to spend. No I couldnt travel to the other side of the country for one that might have been slightly better. Because I had to rely on my dad with his bike trailer. Its a lot to ask to go anywhere... It was a push to get him to go 60 miles for this so called heap of junk...

I just spent 1300 quid on this 'heap of scrap' how about some fucking constructive helpful talking and suggestions rather than just slate me for buying a bike ffs.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:19 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've received plenty of constructive advice in this thread. You've also received some fairly justifiable grief for your inability to engage your brain before asking stupid questions.

I know it can seem hard finding something decent for 1300 quid, but the fact you've seemingly picked up a dog even at that price point is what some are driving at.

Rather than looking for validation on a general chat forum, get yourself posting in the workshop or on a er6 specific owners forum and start working out what needs to be done to bring this up to spec

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:52 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the look of a bike that's been kep near the sea and probably ridden on a dirt road fairly regularly so you've got a fair bit of corrosion and damage from loose stones.

Brakes, even if seriously manked, are likely to be nothing more than a clean up. It's unlikely that the pistons are gone so you're looking at it costing you time rather than a load of money. You might land up stripping them totally and replacing the seals, but seals are cheap.

Your rear sprocket has some rust on but that's neither here nor there. The main thing is what the teeth are like, hopefully not pointed and hooked.. The chain looks reasonably new so hopefully the sprocket is the same. Check the vertical play between the chain and sprocket at the 3 o' clock position, it should be minimal.

The radiator has had a hard paper round. Beware of trying to do too much, you can land up making it worse. Spend a fiver on a radiator fin comb. You may find it's giving sufficient cooling as it is.

The tank, meh, cosmetic. Holds fuel, can't see it when you're riding.

Forks. From your picture, I think these are more of a mess than is apparent. They look heavily chipped and have been cleaned up for sale. I think you're going to see multiple rust spots appearing. The dust seal rubber has been torn and rust is bulging through from the internal steel part. That suggests to me that someone has levered that up with a screwdriver then pushed it back into place again. I wouldn't be surprised if you find a piece of rolled up J-cloth jammed under those dust seals which is an old dodge to get leaky seals through an MOT.

Another possability is that water has pooled under the dust seal, you might have a devil of a job getting the old ones out if this is the case.

So from what I've seen here, you really need to have a good look at that front end. Get the callipers off and cleaned up, if they're still sticky, you may need to pump the pistons out and give them a proper clean and replace the seals.

Pretty sure you're going to need to strip the forks to replace the seals. Have a really close look at those stanchions, they may need replacing.

There's a half decent set of forks on ebay for £120 just now. (check if they fit your model). Cheaper than new stanchions if you need them.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:07 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiator combe is a thing? Useful. I was going to do it with something like a screwdriver..... Thanks... Black Eye

The forks... Yeah. I ordered new dust and oil seals a couple days ago. Should be In the post today. Taking the forks off also gives me the chance to clean up the chrome a d repair any spots near the seal end of the chrome if need be... I also ordered a new handlebar yesterday to replace the bent one...

This would also allow me to look at the breaks as well. I'm going to do what I can not to replace the discs right now... They're a cost I'd rather do without and the wear might not be tooooooooo bad.

I'll let you know if I find a jcloth I the fork Very Happy

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is the tank's paint so shagged?? Has it been repainted and not had the right kind of fuel resistant lacquer as a top coat? And if so, does that suggest it's got a dent in it, been blown out, filled and then repainted?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:45 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Why is the tank's paint so shagged?? Has it been repainted and not had the right kind of fuel resistant lacquer as a top coat? And if so, does that suggest it's got a dent in it, been blown out, filled and then repainted?

Doesnt look like any dents in it... just a wrong type of paint for the job... Its not even gloss nor metallic black .... a really bodged paint job tbh...

It wouldnt take me long to strip it... The only issue i realised as I woke up this morning is, finding the correct matching metallic black used on the bike already.

Also need to work out how to support the bike when taking the forks off.......... thats a new issue.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you got a scottolier out of it. I doubt the dealer saw that or he'd have had it off and on ebay as fast as fuck looking at the condition of the bike he sold you.

There is nothing insurmountable to do it is true. The reason you are getting negative vibes Moriarty is that if you had bought that privately you would have got it cheaper and OK, private cheap bike you expect faults.

From a dealer, unless he specifically listed the faults, I would be going back to him for leaky fork seals and binding brakes at minimum because he has sold you an unroadworthy machine.

OK, suck up the criticism and learn from it but with the best will in the world I can only say you were seen coming. Sorry.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:57 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bike would look quite nice if you took it back for a refund. Wink

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:06 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No refunds :p To get him down to 1300 I had to accept no warranty... Glad I didn't get this bike for the 1500 he was asking...

Maybe I have been had... in any case, its the bike I got. And its mostly cosmetic trouble. Tbh its still possible its not the brakes that have binded, could be the bearings...

I need to get the bike mounted to check, bobbings for the back turned up today so I can at least check the back wheel...

At least the engine seems sound :p

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:29 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That radiator and dodgy front end makes me think it's been in a smash and the front wheel has hit the radiator.

Oh, btw, it's an electric scotoiler, cause it has electrical connections. Somewhere on your bike (near the bars, probably) should be a control unit.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
That radiator and dodgy front end makes me think it's been in a smash and the front wheel has hit the radiator.

That's what I was getting at with the obviously repaired tank. When I mentioned that, OP said there's no dent in it - as though that's any evidence of not being dented in a prang (hence why I said blown out and filled, of course).

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

NutsyUk wrote:
No refunds :p To get him down to 1300 I had to accept no warranty... Glad I didn't get this bike for the 1500 he was asking...

At least the engine seems sound :p

Was the MOT done at the place you bought it from? If so, I would check everything, like the forks being straight, the bearings all round, suspension travel.

If he's put it through an MOT with severely binding brakes and leaking fork seals, he's probably ignored some other stuff too.

Hint, these things are grounds for a refund if it would fail an MOT an another place.

Ste
Not Work Safe

No refunds and no warranty doesn't change your statutory consumer rights as they've sold you a crash damaged bike and you don't seem to know what you've bought.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inb4 bought the bike from E2 motorcycles from a really nice guy called Vince Candelin.....

ಠ_ಠ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7