Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fuel tank winter condensation ethanol etc..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Must be why all those sunken ships are in such great non-rusted condition. Can't be the water doing it must be all that oxygen at the bottom of the sea.

H2Oooooooooooh dear me.....

Learn 2 chemistry.

Oxygen is water soluable. In an open system (like the sea), the water will be 100% saturated all the time, corrosion takes place constantly.

I think you missed the IRONy in my post Smile

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:38 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
H2Oooooooooooh dear me.....

stinkwheel wrote:
Learn 2 chemistry.

Oxygen is water soluable.

Oh-No-Not-Again..... you two just given me a flashack to my 3rd year at secondary school, and my causing staff-room consternation, between my Chemistry mistress, who told us quite emphatically that oxygen was colourless, odourless and non-soluble in water, which was how we could collect the bubbles of the stuff in a test-tube when we electrolysed water.. (but not see or smell it) and my Biology teacher, who insisted it WAS soluble in water... that's how fish can breath, and sea-weed photosynthesize.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:43 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

I think you missed the IRONy in my post Smile

Genuinely don't know if I did. Maybe my aspbergers is playing me up?

Teffs statement was mostly correct. Up to a point, the amount of water doesn't really matter, the presence of water is what causes the problem. Strictly speaking it's not a catalyst though, it does take part in what is a hugely complex third order reaction that I wish I'd decided to leave alone when I did 6th year chemistry at school.

What I established is that desaturated water is actually a pretty effective corrosion inhibitor in a marine environment. If you dump steel stuff (I was looking at load chain on oil rigs, has to be carbon steel, is very expensive, corrodes like mad) in a barrel of water, bung a reducing agent in there to bind up the dissolved oxygen and either seal it or put a layer of oil on top, you reduce the rate of corrosion by more than tenfold.

Iron in the presence of pure, non-saturated water will not rust. It's one of the reasons they can pull 2000 year old pattern welded sword blades out of bogs in Denmark that are still sharp enough to chop your head off. The rotting vegetable matter deoxygenates the water.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2