Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone done the MX5 1.6 big brake upgrade?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:39 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Anyone done the MX5 1.6 big brake upgrade? Reply with quote

There is loads of stuff on the net about it but I can't seem to find definitive answers.

The common theme is the 1.8 mk1/mk2 Caliper carriers fit on the 1.6 combined with 1.8 Discs and pads it gives you a brake upgrade.

Some people say you need the 1.8 calipers, some don't.
Some people say you need the 1.8 brake pad clips and springs, some don't.

I know there are a few MX5 owners on here, anyone done it and have some definitive info?

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:47 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're much much better off going for the Wilwood upgrade kit. It improved the car no end. The 1.8 sport brakes are still pretty shit.

Tad more expensive for the Wilwoods, but absolutely worth it.

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:23 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
You're much much better off going for the Wilwood upgrade kit. It improved the car no end. The 1.8 sport brakes are still pretty shit.

Tad more expensive for the Wilwoods, but absolutely worth it.

I can get the brackets for ~£40 no idea how much Wilwoods would cost. 10 -20 times that probably, I'm not interesting in spending that much.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OEM upgrades can be very effective generally on lots of cars that have parts bin swap potential between different models. You usually do need the corresponding calipers and carriers for the larger disc conversions, but it's normally worth the effort to fit them.

Just going up 20mm on disc diameter and to a thicker better vented disc can make a big difference, and thats before playing with aftermarket discs and different pad compounds.

You do have to watch for piston diameters being different or larger, or with going from single to twin pot sliding calipers, as it can affect brake pedal travel and and the hydraulic leverage ratio.

Im not familiar with the MX5, but as another example on Honda's and Rover's you can go from a 262mm vented disc set up to a 282mm set up with larger calipers from other models. There's a big improvement, but just a slight increase in brake pedal travel.

An aftermarket 4pot caliper upgrade really needs bigger discs to provide a serious braking improvement, and more pistons is not always better, especially on a vehicle used in all weathers and shitty winter conditions, from a maintenance point of view. Think Tokico 6pot bike calipers etc.

Saying that I've got a big Wilwood 4pot conversion on my Rover, and the calipers are really light being alloy, and do save a fair bit of weight over the std set up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:59 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without being a dick can people only reply if they actually know specially about what I am asking. I don't need a mini tef about big brakes Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to be much of a help, but can you fit the brakes from a different Mazda car, not just the MX5? On Mercedes-Benz you may fit brakes from a ''faster'' model on a ''slower'' model, even across the generations. Thinking

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:20 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're really better off going to Mx5Nutz or the mx5 moaners, sorry owners pages.

If you can get the 1.8 sport brackets on the cheap then yep, do the upgrade and you'll see a mild improvement. If you're on a budget it's probably your best option with some decent discs and pads.

The Wilwoods are incredible but not the cheapest option.

To answer your original post, you just need the complete brake caliper and carrier from the donor car. I believe you then have to swap the bracket (carrier) over so the left is on the right and vice versa. It's been a while since I've messed with Mx5s though.

Tom.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1