Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

eBay bidding weirdness?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: eBay bidding weirdness? Reply with quote

Just got outbid on something on eBay and I'm not really understanding the bidding history. The auction had one bid at £30, I put in my max' bid which was higher than the other guy, but then it shows the person with private feedback having made a bid earlier? Eh?

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/15/13/82/47/biddin10.png

Unless the date/times are irrelevant I can't work out what was going on.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it just he put a higher max bid maye £40 - it doesn't go straight to that but the next increment
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it say the bid was on the 18th though?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's when he bid before you, but put on a higher amount?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just automatic bids from his initial bid.
If he bid £40 on the 18th Nov then as soon as you bid his bid increases to above yours. The newest/winning bid is the automatic bid timed when it jumped yours and not when he posted it.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
It's just automatic bids from his initial bid.
If he bid £40 on the 18th Nov then as soon as you bid his bid increases to above yours. The newest/winning bid is the automatic bid timed when it jumped yours and not when he posted it.

This ^

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not really getting (soz if thick Embarassed), the b***1 guy had the opening bid at £30, if i***u had bid more on the 18th then shouldn't it have started auto bidding for him?

If i***u had the opening bid, and then me and b***1 had failed to beat him then that would make sense, but that's not what the bid history shows? Confused

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Still not really getting (soz if thick Embarassed), the b***1 guy had the opening bid at £30, if i***u had bid more on the 18th then shouldn't it have started auto bidding for him?

If i***u had the opening bid, and then me and b***1 had failed to beat him then that would make sense, but that's not what the bid history shows? Confused

It's showing the bid changes. He puts the bid in on the 18th for say £40 and he's the £30 starting bid, that doesn't show as there's no change, it just hits the preset starting bid. His date of first bid comes into play when the price changes.

Look at this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/263323848994?item=263323848994&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

It's about to finish so you can see it in real time if there's a change.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still had the listing up on my phone and it shows it correctly:
https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/15/13/82/47/screen12.png

On the PC (in my first pic') it shows the wrong bidder having the opening bid for some reason, that's what was confusing me.

F**k I needed that processor Laughing

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right I see what you mean, the initial £30 bid isn't logged as the right person.

Click Show automatic bids, it should fix it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Click Show automatic bids, it should fix it.

It's clicked on both of those screenies, only difference being the first is on my PC (which's still showing the wrong opening bidder), and the second on my phone with the 'classic' site.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:13 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off Topic:

What is it called when you sort of like something, put a bid on and a couple of days later the dude you out bid ups your bid.
You out bid the dude again.
Then he out bids you again...

Knowing the other person is keen you out bid him again just to spite the fcuker and force him/her to bid more.

Is there a Fancy Term for that?

The game is to get them to bid more than the shops sell it for but not get landed with it yourself.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 01:32 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used to be able (still might) to bid on something which is going for say £30, you put in max bid of £3,000... you out bid the highest bidder, you see their cards and know their highest bid and then retract your bid stating you made an error (too many zeros) and then bid just a bit more than what you know is the highest bid.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:35 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Off Topic:

What is it called when you sort of like something, put a bid on and a couple of days later the dude you out bid ups your bid.

Knowing the other person is keen you out bid him again just to spite the fcuker and force him/her to bid more.

The game is to get them to bid more than the shops sell it for but not get landed with it yourself.

It's called being a cunt.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:45 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Off Topic:

Isn't it shill bidding?

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:07 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
You used to be able (still might) to bid on something which is going for say £30, you put in max bid of £3,000... you out bid the highest bidder, you see their cards and know their highest bid and then retract your bid stating you made an error (too many zeros) and then bid just a bit more than what you know is the highest bid.

This also only works with 48 or 72 hours until the end of the auction.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
MCN wrote:
Off Topic:

Isn't it shill bidding?

No, shill bidding is inflating the sale price using more than one bidder (you're the seller, a friend ups the price, buyer pays more)

The example above is called "dropping" if USA auction hunters is anything to go by.. Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
No, shill bidding is inflating the sale price using more than one bidder (you're the seller, a friend ups the price, buyer pays more)

The example above is called "dropping" if USA auction hunters is anything to go by.. Rolling Eyes

On Storage Hunters (little ashamed I used to watch that Embarassed) they called it 'running up', which's normally followed by 2 fat people having a staged fight.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Placing a bid at any time other than 2 seconds before the listing ends is a mug's game.

www.gixen.com

You're welcome.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:

But not more than they were willing to pay. It's what throwaway accounts are for Smile eBay say they don't like it and it's naughty, but they do fuck all about it because they get higher final price fees out of it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
Placing a bid at any time other than 2 seconds before the listing ends is a mug's game.

No it isn't. If I put in the maximum I'm prepared to pay at my initial bid then it makes no difference at all.

A problem only occurs if you try to go back and add more to your bid, piecemeal. If you're going to add more, make it a decent amount.

If 2 bids are the same, the one placed first will win. So if I set my max to £40 and it's at £35 and DrDonnyBrago bids £40 with 2 seconds ot go, I'm still going to win. If he bids £42 then I don't but it was more than I was going to pay anyway.

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
www.gixen.com

Why would you use a 3rd party website.. just use jbidwatcher...

https://www.jbidwatcher.com/

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
DrDonnyBrago wrote:

No it isn't. If I put in the maximum I'm prepared to pay at my initial bid then it makes no difference at all.

Except if you put your maximum amount you're willing to go to in your initial bid, I could "accidentally" bid a ludicrously high amount for the item with a throwaway account, and find what your maximum is, then cancel my bid. Then with another throwaway account, bid just under your maximum when there's a few seconds to go, forcing you to pay your highest amount, so I get £40 instead of the £10 it had been sitting at all week.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
DrDonnyBrago wrote:

You've shown your hand. If I make my single £40 max bid with seconds to spare and it's only at £20 I might get it for £21. If you bid your £40 max on day 1 the stupidly early bidders rush to beat it days before the listing ends, elevating the cost unnecessarily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem with eBay, it's more of a lottery than an auction.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.fatfingers.co.uk/m/default.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2