Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wife’s damaged the car - DIY or insurance?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Wife’s damaged the car - DIY or insurance? Reply with quote

As stated. She’s had an argument with a bollard - and lost.

Asking for advice on whether it could have hidden damage to the chassis that could theoretically write it off if we get insurance involved.

We were looking to sell the bastard in the new year as well!

15 plate Peugeot 5008

Any advice welcome.

(In b4 women drivers!)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:11 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GF's company Beemer had similar damage (perhaps not as deep into the sill) earlier in the year from some hit and run in a supermarket car park. I was worried it would be a write off, but it was returned a week later fully repaired and good as new.

I've no idea as to the cost, as the lease company paid for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help as I have no idea about the repairability of modern cars. Gone are the days of just knocking out a dent or welding a new sill on it seems.

I would certainly have it checked by someone who knows what they are doing though.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need more photos. Start with her fully clothed and slowly moving to fully undressed. Thumbs Up

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she is the named driver and you are the policy holder then your bike policy will also take a hit. Happened to me but didn't realise till after she'd smashed the car twice. She is now the policy holder for the car.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:12 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
If she is the named driver and you are the policy holder then your bike policy will also take a hit.

So much this.

I'd get that into a prang repairer and ask how much for cash, not through insurance. If you don't like the number, let your insurer pay them 2 or 3 times that amount to do the work.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from a car expert, but, a super speedy Google search shows a door from a breakers for about £200.

So, pair of doors maybe £500. Body shop to fill the damage to the sill and wheel arch and match the paint up, another few hundred quid.

Surely less than a grand all in?

If it was me, the game I'd be playing is "will I lose more than a grand in increased premiums?" before telling the insurance anything at all.

A grand is a lot of money so maybe it'll be better just to go through the insurance, but sometimes a little effort will save a lot of money.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, top job on the damage, one to be proud of Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of standard were you hoping to achieve if you were to DIY it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all.

It’s her policy - I’m named driver 👍

Yes it is definitely damage to be proud of! 😂👍

Her current premiums are less than £300 a year and she has protected no claims so it looks pretty open and shut now.

I did my brothers car detailing when someone keyed it to a standard where you couldn’t tell it had happened.. however this is a much bigger job! I could probably get it looking “adequate”. But not sellable. And is it really worth my time?

So question is really - how much is her premium likely to go up by claiming now? Shall I stick her details into a comparison site with a recent fictitious orang to see what it comes back as?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I’ve just found out that the “double bubble” effect across the two doors was achieved by her continuing the turn after she hit it with the front door....!!!!

Good effort.

Why stop and change direction? Rolling Eyes

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Her current premiums are less than £300 a year and she has protected no claims so it looks pretty open and shut now.

Just be careful and read the T/C on this as some are only if you stay with the same co.....
And we all know how they love to up premiums anyway, without a excuse Embarassed

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Just be careful and read the T/C on this as some are only if you stay with the same co.....
And we all know how they love to up premiums anyway, without a excuse Embarassed

This. Your current insurer will still pull your pants down at renewal time if you claim so your protected no-claims is largely irrelevant. Company B doesn't care that you were paying company A a premium to protect it. They just care that you had a claim.

IME about £1000 + your excess, as a repair cost, is about the break-even point on an insurance claim, if you have an otherwise clear record and plenty of no-claims.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having looked at it in the daylight - it does look repairable diy style... 🤔

Where donI stand if I have a go and fuck it up / can’t be arsed? Assume there would be no insurance repercussions? Ie - “you made it worse - your problem now bud”

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Where donI stand if I have a go and fuck it up / can’t be arsed? Assume there would be no insurance repercussions? Ie - “you made it worse - your problem now bud”

If you fuck it up, could you not just park it perilously close to a bollard and get your wife to back it out... Essentially hitting the reset button on the whole situation.

EDIT:

On the topic of cars and wives... I added my wife to my car when we first moved in together. Within weeks it needed new wheel bearings and a new clutch. She also bumped our weeks old people carrier into a bollard because she left it in gear when trying to start it. Most recently she swapped paint with a car on a roundabout, I'll give her benefit of the doubt to blame for the last one, but good observation could've prevented it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at it in daylight. . .

It might just be the fiberglass surrounding the sill - I need to get underneath it this weekend to check fully though.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos from this morning.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

It might just be the fiberglass surrounding the sill - I need to get underneath it this weekend to check fully though.

Fibreglass that deforms? Eh?

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Fibreglass that deforms? Eh?

That's one piece, from the front wheel arch to the rear light cluster. Steel all the way I'd say. No bodykit on that.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay Sad

Ok tar - I’ll double check it tomorrow morning to see - defo an insurance job if it is!

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like seeing threads like this. My Mrs keeps talking about how much she likes the look of a Merc A class. But then reading this and taking into consideration the battlescarred bumper of her Corsa, I think she might end up with something cheaper.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine used my grannymobile C-Max and it came back with two exactly symmetrical vertical dents in the rear quarters, exactly the same height as bollards in the car park and exactly the same width apart.

But she never hit anything, Oh no. How could I be so mean as to accuse her of that. It must have been done before and I never noticed Rolling Eyes

Not that I give a rats arse about the car really, but it was fun making her sweat without having to put any effort in.

MOST women are really shit drivers, however I would say the good ones are usually very very good. It's a pity you didn't marry one of them Hawkeye1250FA. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should this thread not be in Spills?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Mine used my grannymobile C-Max and it came back with two exactly symmetrical vertical dents in the rear quarters, exactly the same height as bollards in the car park and exactly the same width apart.

But she never hit anything, Oh no. How could I be so mean as to accuse her of that. It must have been done before and I never noticed Rolling Eyes

Not that I give a rats arse about the car really, but it was fun making her sweat without having to put any effort in.

MOST women are really shit drivers, however I would say the good ones are usually very very good. It's a pity you didn't marry one of them Hawkeye1250FA. Laughing

The daft thing is - she’s actually... (actually scrap that) she USED to be a really good driver. Sad fuck knows what went wrong.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 121 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2