Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

We are students and need some help from all of you...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  
augeo.hud This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
augeo.hud This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:22 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

augeo.hud wrote:
Oh, so lean manufacturing also does not work on hardware.

It could work, but you won't make it work. I will demonstrate why below.

augeo.hud wrote:
You apparently don't know what is behind the approach.

All right, Will Hunting, settle down. I'm pretty sure that one of us doesn't understand how the world works outside of a classroom.

augeo.hud wrote:
How about instead of complaining and knowing all better, make it better yourself.

You want to know the one consistent thing we've noticed about successful people versus comedy failures?

Successful people don't waste their time getting all Huffy McHandbag when doubted. They're too busy being successful.

You? You're demonstrating that you're more at the Adam Aarons end of the scale.

So, what next? More trembly-chin chest puffing, or will you come back and gloat when you're rolling in money and bitches?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:41 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

augeo.hud wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
'Engineering' is a pretty big discipline. What brand are you students in?
We are students of 4 different fields adding a business degree, 2 engineering and 2 more financial side.

So, from your evasion of the question, I must surmise that half your team are yes-men and accountants, and none of you are studying a strict 'engineering' discipline, but likely production or product engineering.

I shall ask again; the primary purpose of a Motorcycle Safety Helmet is 'Safety'...

In what way, do you hope that the 'innovation', you envisage may enhance the primary purpose of improving the wearer's 'safety'... either in reducing the likelihood they may be involved in an accident, or in reducing the injury they might sustain in an accident? ((Does any one on your team have any medical qualification, experience, or expertise?))

Primary protection is provided by being able to see where you are gong, and not being distracted from contending with what you see. If the HUD any way impinges on the field of vision, or offers distraction whilst riding; then it is actually REDUCING the safety of the wearer, NOT increasing it, therefore undermining the device's primary purpose.

So, if the innovation has no positive potential to increase the wearer's safety, what NEGATIVE impact it may have, has been considered?

As to doing the job properly... yes, I would agree, so again ask WHY are you constructing a web-survey!?!?!?! Even if it was more considerately conceived and constructed it is STILL just chaff, and not helpful to either you or I.

What you want to know is WOULD I buy your product. SO, get to the point. Tell me what you have to offer me, why you thik t should interest me, and ask me if will give you money for it!

And the answer, right here, right now is NO, I wouldn't!!

I actually don't really like being told I 'have' to wear a crash hat at all, very much. It's rather an anathema to choose the bike for the 'freedom' to get out of a box and experience everything first hand, rather than from the remote environment behind a window-frame, to stick my head in a gold-fish bowl and have to experience it through a letter-box instead!

Consequently, I favour an open-face helmet, or a flip,usually used in the open position; which lacking a chin piece, gives me a clear glance view of my speedo and tacho and instrument lights without having to move my head or take my eyes off the road... not that I need know what the clocks say or what idiot lamps lit up very often!! Let alone a Sat-Nav which I might, in the car, use for the last 10th of a journey finding my way round the houses to an address I haven't visited before!

Have you actually done a ranking of what 'live information' is essential when riding? What information is 'useful' and what is inconsequential?

And what instruments are mandatory requirements for a motorcycle under Construction & Use regulations? You may like to consider the regulations concerning radio-receivers and hands-free operation, in there too, before, extending your research to the standards and approvals that apply to motorcycle helmet construction and performance AND their visors...

But, sorry, a built in Sat-Nav interface, which is of use to me, for perhaps 1/10th of 1/10th of the journeys I ever make, is NOT something that is going to warrant me spending more than 1/10th of 1/10th the extra purchase price on! EVEN if the helmet was other wise as 'safe' and comfortable and durable......

And there-in lies the dilemma of modern engineer.. the cost!

Your widget must add cost to the product. But it has to add greater value than it costs for it to be commercially viable. But before THAT, people have to believe they need or want it!

Sorry, your horse to car comparisons is asinine. Go research your equestrian history! In fact start with the word, 'equestrian'... the horse was as much a minority transport as the motorcycle, until the eighteenth century, and significantly a status symbol! The 'car' did not replace the horse, it replaced the carriage, as another status symbol and novelty.

And there-in lies the appeal of that 'product', and its rapid adoption in the mass market when the innovation that drove its adoption was NOT the wonderful re-invention of mechanical perambulation.... that was far from novel, B-U-T, the conspiracy of innovations that together, made possible a product cheap enough for the masses.... who DIDN'T need it, but aspired to it. THEN they started to exploit it, and the world it existed in adapted to better suit it.

If you want to site precedents rather than set them, at least pick ones that have some relevance, and again start with the fundamental, WHY would I need or want your product!

Start with the problem, NOT the solution, or you are conceiving gadgets and toys, NOT tools!!!

Like I said to start with, engineering is the art of using technology to solve problems.... not the other way about!

FIRST lesson in product design, Ask Why SO, before you ask Why NOT!

So.. you want to build a better mouse trap... sorry crash helmet... and you have the fantastic idea of incorporating a fighter-pilot style Head-Up-Display into a motorcycle helmet.... Oh-Kay....

1/ Why do fighter pilots wear crash helmets?
2/ Before the fighter pilots crash hat... what did they wear?
3/ What innovation allowed the construction of a fighter pilot's crash hat and or made it more 'useful' than whatever preceded it?
4/ What problem in motorcycling begged the transference and adaptation of the aviation type cash helmet to motorcycles? HINT... Peter O'Tool, on a Camel!
5/ What 'problem' prompted the development of the fighter-plots head-up-display?
6/ How does that problem parallel to ANY problem associated with riding a motorcycle?

NOW, I suggest, you go away and do your OWN HOME-WORK... on your home-work!

You have jumped in at the end, with a solution, not even knowing there may be a problem!!! Go do some ENGINEERING! Or go join the kids in the art class, not looking out the window till lunch-time!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:53 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

augeo.hud have you thought about making a wiper that can go on visors?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

I shall ask again

In what way, do you hope that the 'innovation', you envisage may enhance the primary purpose of improving the wearer's 'safety'...

Never thought I'd see the day I feel sorry for college students.

Tef - they're not likely to give AF. Nobody does when you ramble on and on and on and on and on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

augeo.hud wrote:
wristjob wrote:
come up with an idea for a product people dont know they want.youll make millions.
dont try to peddle out something that 80%of the customer base has already said it dosnt want.

Well it seems you don't know yet that you want our HUD Laughing
When the first car was invented, people didn't know that they wanted one and probably laughed as well and said they would take any horse over that thing but see where we are now.
That's the difficulty with it Wink

you confuse not knowing i want it with me 100% being sure i dont want it.
its not like a car that people have never seen and perhaps dont understand or fear.
its something we have seen,we have seen the potential small benefits.
the main thing we have seen is that its a shit idea and the solution to a problem that dosnt exist.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

augeo.hud wrote:

Maybe you haven't noticed but usually such technology starts in the premium segment before it comes into the lower segments and there are plenty of cars already on the market where this is an option. But just like with LED headlights with high beam assist that can avoid glaring, it doesn't mean it is mandatory and people not necessarily will buy it if the spend a lot of money already on a car.

So maybe the time has come and technology has matured to the degree that it is time to come into motorcycles as well.

Have you actually seen high beam assist in action? Typically it only goes to high beam when it think there's someone there to blind. It's a bit crap. All that tech to replace a simple switch.....

Personally I would be going into a market to develop a product that people are telling you they don't want and multiple start ups are competing in (and a couple have failed).

If you really want people to buy it, take it racing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:17 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
none of you are studying a strict 'engineering' discipline

I bet they don't even know how many quarter turns there are in a circle.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:32 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

augeo.hud wrote:

When the first car was invented, people didn't know that they wanted one and probably laughed as well and said they would take any horse over that thing but see where we are now.
That's the difficulty with it Wink
As above - this isn't the 'first car' - this is over a decade down the line.

I can see lots of good reasons for a HUD - can I see you breaking the market?
Not with the way you're presenting yourselves, no.
I suspect before it becomes common place, bikes will no longer be.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A car HUD is compromise free because it just lives in the car. It's part of the car. You get in, it works, end. On a bike, there's plugging and unplugging to be done, requirement for the appropriate wiring and software on your bike not to mention the inclusion of expensive electrics into a relatively disposable helmet and/or visor. Or is it a clunky bolt-on? Either way, it's another rainpal or *shudders* bike-to-bike radio.

What you're proposing is more analogous to those scuba masks that have displays in them showing your depth, contents, NDC time etc. I've dived all over the world - how many people have I seen using one of those? None.

And I'd bet my €25 you'll leave out the most important but of information anyway - that my turn signal is still going.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:48 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
And I'd bet my €25 you'll leave out the most important but of information anyway - that my turn signal is still going.

That'll be in the Evo model. Folded arms

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
angryjonny wrote:

That'll be in the Evo model. Folded arms

With 5 second wash and wipe? or is that an automatic toilet?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:01 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirt and wipe.

You fucking piece of shit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3