Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mac + Pc problems!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:05 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Mac + Pc problems! Reply with quote

Two Questions on a similar ish topic-

I built my own pc about a year ago now - i cant quote my exact spec but i spent around £600 on the hardware . The only thing i didnt change was my HD as i kinda wanted to keep some stuff off there. However my HD is like 20 years old and sounds like crap - is this the reason my PC takes about 20 mins to start up? Would buying an SSD solve my problems?

Next question is i bought an old MacBook pro (mid 2009 model) off ebay for £170 - whats the best way to get microsoft word on it without paying a fortune for it? Im not looking to run an emulator just gonna be using it for work purposes mainly.

Cheers,

Ash

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing if your HD is 20 years old i'm extremely surprised it still works/boots at all tbh....what HDD is it? must be built like a tank.

an ssd would most probably speed things up somewhat but without knowing the rest of the system no one could tell you quite how much

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:53 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Mac + Pc problems! Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Next question is i bought an old MacBook pro (mid 2009 model) off ebay for £170 - whats the best way to get microsoft word on it without paying a fortune for it? Im not looking to run an emulator just gonna be using it for work purposes mainly.

Buy it or download Office 2016 from dodgy sauce.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively there's libreoffice

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Can create edit & save to MS Word format .. I've been using it from the days of start office ... I don't have any issue with other colleagues MS Office based documents.

Oh, and it's free

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download LibreOffice instead.

Gaahh timing..

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For old pc, Buy ssd and clone old hdd to new ssd, simple's.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For full office compatibility on the Mac, use fusion or virtualbox to host a Windows virtual machine and install windows ms office. Nothing else (even Mac ms office) is quite the same. The open sauce variants tend to be ok as long as you aren't using esoteric functions (VB scripting or some formatting).

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Office 2016 for the Mac cheap through work. It sucks the big one. It's like they've taken Office '97 and added ribbons to it.

Use a VM and Windows, or LibreOffice/OpenOffice.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:03 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Smile

LibraOffice and an SSD it looks like. I'll now have 2 functioning computers rather than 0!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1