New Rider in need of advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:57 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thats so clean.

Hint, clean it. Laughing Dirt adds weight, weight = slow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:59 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Wow, thats so clean.

Hint, clean it. Laughing Dirt adds weight, weight = slow.

Ive only had it since sept, its on my to-do list but first is getting it to actually work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:30 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV carb, looks like this 'un. I believe the choke is under that rubbery cover on the top rightish part, but I only dabbled in scootays, I'm basically freestyling here.

https://i.imgur.com/IjNhRDZ.png

There's nothing obvious loose or missing, so I wouldn't be too keep to get stuck in. Just check that it's getting fuel through it. Having it in the tank isn't good enough, it has to get to the carb. On a bike, I'd suggest just draining the float bowl underneath and checking that there's fuel and that it refills, but allah knows how difficult it'll be to get to it on that thing.

I'd urge you to consider the spark plug first though, depending how easy it is to access.

There's a reason that some garages just won't work on scooters, given the time and costs involved just in reaching the parts you need to inspect and change.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:52 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
CV carb, looks like this 'un. I believe the choke is under that rubbery cover on the top rightish part, but I only dabbled in scootays, I'm basically freestyling here.

https://i.imgur.com/IjNhRDZ.png

There's nothing obvious loose or missing, so I wouldn't be too keep to get stuck in. Just check that it's getting fuel through it. Having it in the tank isn't good enough, it has to get to the carb. On a bike, I'd suggest just draining the float bowl underneath and checking that there's fuel and that it refills, but allah knows how difficult it'll be to get to it on that thing.

I'd urge you to consider the spark plug first though, depending how easy it is to access.

There's a reason that some garages just won't work on scooters, given the time and costs involved just in reaching the parts you need to inspect and change.

I took out the spark plug and made sure that the cylinder has fuel in it, it does. What do i actually need to check on the choke? just take it out and make sure it works?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:33 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
I took out the spark plug and made sure that the cylinder has fuel in it, it does.

Super. A smell of fuel, or did you shine a light in and see liquid fuel sloshing around? That wouldn't be great.

adengtg wrote:
What do i actually need to check on the choke? just take it out and make sure it works?

Should be some inny-outy going on.

However, I'd stress again that throwing in a fresh plug might save the day.

What colour was the tip on the plug?

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:52 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
adengtg wrote:
I took out the spark plug and made sure that the cylinder has fuel in it, it does.

Super. A smell of fuel, or did you shine a light in and see liquid fuel sloshing around? That wouldn't be great.

adengtg wrote:
What do i actually need to check on the choke? just take it out and make sure it works?

As -per advice i took the plug out, then kicked the kick-start and a small bit of fuel sprayed out... and hit me in the eye. the tip was brown ish. i grounded it on the engine and tried the starter button to try and see a spark, couldnt se if there was or not as the engine is difficult to reach but i heard it clicking

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:29 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
adengtg wrote:

adengtg wrote:

Quick update: turns out it was the head-gasket which had sort of disintegrated, allowing water into the chamber and ruining the fuel-air mixture. has now cost upwards of £400 to fix and its not even done yet.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:29 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
turns out it was the head-gasket which had sort of disintegrated, allowing water into the chamber and ruining the fuel-air mixture. has now cost upwards of £400 to fix and its not even done yet.

Well, at least it'll be worth it when it's all do-

adengtg wrote:
2010 SYM GTS 125

Shocked Neutral Doh!

Have you heard the phrase "good money after bad", or the "sunk costs fallacy"?

Your life, your choice. Given your weird outlaw hobby, I guess you're determined to be a rebel and not do the sane thing though: throw it in a ditch and chalk it up to experience.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:13 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
adengtg wrote:
turns out it was the head-gasket which had sort of disintegrated, allowing water into the chamber and ruining the fuel-air mixture. has now cost upwards of £400 to fix and its not even done yet.

Well, at least it'll be worth it when it's all do-

adengtg wrote:
2010 SYM GTS 125

Shocked Neutral Doh!

Have you heard the phrase "good money after bad", or the "sunk costs fallacy"?

Your life, your choice. Given your weird outlaw hobby, I guess you're determined to be a rebel and not do the sane thing though: throw it in a ditch and chalk it up to experience.

It kinda ruined my 18th birthday, finding out that what you hoped was a £30-£40 job was going to cost 10X that amount.

all in all, it was my dad who made me get that scooter, instead of a brand new bike with warranty. He fully admitted his fault so he's paying for the repairs. As soon as the engine is fixed, ive got somebody who wants to buy it as every other components is in really good nick.
Just going to get a brand new lexmoto assault as it comes with 5 years warranty.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:47 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want to buy it for more than £500? I'd bite their hand off.

adengtg wrote:
Just going to get a brand new lexmoto assault as it comes with 5 years warranty.

That'll be a dealer warranty and it'll be dependent on having it serviced at that dealer at some eye watering interval like every 1,000 miles. It will quickly become a very expensive bike, and every penny will be money down the drain.

The moment you hit 19 you can and should get yourself an A2 licence and onto bikes that offer far more ability and value for money.

I say all this not as criticism but in the hope that it will trigger some critical thinking.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:06 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

adengtg wrote:

That'll be a dealer warranty and it'll be dependent on having it serviced at that dealer at some eye watering interval like every 1,000 miles. It will quickly become a very expensive bike, and every penny will be money down the drain.

The moment you hit 19 you can and should get yourself an A2 licence and onto bikes that offer far more ability and value for money.

I say all this not as criticism but in the hope that it will trigger some critical thinking.

It has 2 years manufacturer warranty and transferable dealer warranty. after the manufacturer warranty, its every 6 months or 2500miles, whichever first, although i only need it for around a year before i take my A2 licence.

Would it be a better to get a bike such s a Honda XL125V which are famous for their reliability? although i only have about £1200 to spend

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Would it be a better to get a bike such s a Honda XL125V which are famous for their reliability?

Depends who owned it Shhh!

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:11 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

adengtg wrote:

Right, fixed. £465 all in. collecting tomorrow. I cannot thank you enough for all your help, seriously.

hang on a minute... i saw you on the airsoft forums... and you've been acting like you never heard of airsoft all this time... all the dots are joining up.

looking back, you might be the biggest troll ive ever come across.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rog you troll!

£465 eh? You could have bought a nice TM Recoil M4 for that! Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:02 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
you might be the biggest troll ive ever come across.

People always expect me to be taller.
vhkthor This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2