Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Held Score 3.0

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

daverave999
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:14 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Held Score 3.0 Reply with quote

Anyone got a pair of Held Score 3.0? How warm are they? Any other thoughts?
They seem relatively new so barely any reviews around!
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

daverave999
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:35 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
You could get a set of heated grips + muffs and a pair of summer gloves for what they cost. Wink

I've got heated grips! Not sure about muffs, and I'm interested in these as they do a long finger version.
I love my Air N Dry just they aren't warm enough in sub-5°C rain on the motorway...
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:50 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

daverave999 wrote:
Not sure about muffs

I am.

If you want to be warm and dry, you need muffs. I own 3 pairs which cost £40 (new), £9.50 (new), and £7 delivered (used). They all let me ride in summer gloves with the heated grips turned down or off.

If you want to spend... huh, 20 times as much in order to still be chilly, that's the price of looking like the coolest biker on the block. Literally.

daverave999
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:03 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough Roger.

Are the Tucano Urbano still the ones everyone loves, or have you gone with generic ones? Assuming generic given the price point?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:42 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Tucano neoprene boxing glove style ones on the Enfield; BitzForBikes on the Tractor; and generic fuzzymuffs on the racebike since the fairing means that it's not as important to get a good seal at the inner opening.

The Tucanos are the best designed and made, but they all work at keeping the windchill and rain away from your hands.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muffs are great. Really great, and well worth the crap looks.

I use Tucano Urbano. I have a set of the neoprene ones and a set of the bigger more solid ones. Both are equally protective but I prefer the neoprene ones as they're less clunky. Working the controls through the neoprene thumb is a non issue on my bikes.

SteveSmith
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:49 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always shied away from muffs because I'm worried that they would make it difficult to take my hands off the bar if I want to. Obviously in the worst case of a crash I don't want to be attached to the bike, but I'm thinking more if I want to open my visor, wave to someone, scratch my nose or whatever.

Is that an issue, or am I worrying over nothing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:00 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSmith wrote:
I've always shied away from muffs because I'm worried that they would make it difficult to take my hands off the bar if I want to. Obviously in the worst case of a crash I don't want to be attached to the bike, but I'm thinking more if I want to open my visor, wave to someone, scratch my nose or whatever.

Easy to take off - decent enclosing moths can take a little getting used to for putting your hands back in again, but well worth it and providing you don't take your hands off just before coming to a junction etc, not going to be a problem.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:29 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less dangerous than trying to work a Rainpal®.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSmith wrote:

getting off the bike in a hurry, not an issue, I got punted off from behind a few years ago with muffs on, having been hit from behind the bike was shunted forwards from under me and I thought I'd dropped the clutch and launched it.

They're not a tight fit to your wrist, it's like falling out of a capsizing boat on a lake, it just simply happens.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muffs. You won't regret it. My jobs for today: 1) take bike in for MOT 2) refit tucano urbano muffs for the winter.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my hands in an out for visor wiping/opening all the time without even thinking about it. After a few rides it's a total non issue. I'm a total convert after using them for the first time last year.

daverave999
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:32 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while I know, but I tried fitting the neoprene Tucano muffs and they seemed way too tight to quickly access the brake lever. Enough that it was not something I was going to risk getting used to. Don't know whether it's my big hands or too much armour on my gloves or what.

Are the other type more spacious?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non-neoprene Tucano's are more roomy but I've never had an issue with either type on any of my bikes.The feel odd for the first 10 mins then you forget about them. The only get irritating at speeds higher than I'm really likely to do in winter.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:05 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

daverave999 wrote:
way too tight to quickly access the brake lever.

Are they cutting off the circulation to your hands? Are you giving a lot of "right turn" or "slowing down" signals that require you to take your hands off the bars? Do you need to see the brake lever to operate it? Thinking

You put your hands in, set off, ride with warm hands, stop, then take your hands out. There's no trick to it, and you'll be used to them by the end of your first ride.

daverave999
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:45 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
daverave999 wrote:
way too tight to quickly access the brake lever.

Are they cutting off the circulation to your hands? Are you giving a lot of "right turn" or "slowing down" signals that require you to take your hands off the bars? Do you need to see the brake lever to operate it? Thinking

You put your hands in, set off, ride with warm hands, stop, then take your hands out. There's no trick to it, and you'll be used to them by the end of your first ride.

No, but access to the brake lever is something I'm quite keen on... It was tight enough that I was concerned I'd be able to actually brake in an emergency.
I guess I hadn't realised how tight they would be. Do they soften/loosen up?
I might have to try the non-neoprene ones if they are looser.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing you've put them on your Versys. Have you fitted them around hand guards?

They are fine on my er6 which isn't dramatically different in terms.of levers and switchgear.

daverave999
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:05 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they're on the Versys. Have you got heated grips?

Are all bar end weights the same size? Just wondering if mine are longer and stretch the muff Shocked wider than intended.

I'll give them another try when I've got chance I guess.

[EDIT] No handguards fitted.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:25 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, right.. Are yours the boxing mitt style ones? Do they have a semi rigid fnar strip that runs inside them in a curve?

Since the cheapo muffs that I use on my Tractor don't have any sort of bar end retention or stiffening... member... to hold them clear of the controls, I remove the RHS bar end and bolt in a piece of wood, pointing forward, that reaches as far as the lever. That keeps the muffs well clear of it.

It's a very nice piece of wood, with some teak oil staining. Adds a bit of character.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 52 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1