Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Firefox Quantum

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Firefox Quantum Reply with quote

Just a quick comment on the new Firefox Quantum (v57) in that it is bloody fast compared with my last version.

I've used Firefox for ages and prefer it to Chrome and this new one is good although it seems from comments a lot of extensions wont work with it at present.

I just thought I'd throw this in incase anyone is still using Netscape and doesn't know what to change up to. Cool

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its fast but I have issues with it, I can't get my Virgin TV anywhere to work
I even installed the Legacy pack but no joy so forced to use one of my changes per month to my Virgin account
as I had to use IE to use the player now Evil or Very Mad

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Google but Chrome's a bloody good browser, no contest with Firefox. The difference becomes even more apparent on older systems.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:54 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I hate Google but Chrome's a bloody good browser, no contest with Firefox.

Have you tried Quantum? It is a heck of a lot quicker than previous versions.

Chrome is still my choice as a development platform though. There are a lot of grumpy faces about Quantum screwing over extensions.

If you want a non-Googles version of Chrome, you can try Chromium, or keep an eye on https://brave.com/ - although it's a bit monged at the moment.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I hate Google but Chrome's a bloody good browser, no contest with Firefox. The difference becomes even more apparent on older systems.

Use SRWare Iron instead. All of the Chromey goodness, none of the Google spyware. Thumbs Up

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 03:57 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
M.C wrote:

Use SRWare Iron instead. All of the Chromey goodness, none of the Google spyware. Thumbs Up

Or better yet Opera or vivaldi. Both based on Chromium and not as fishy as SRWare.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:09 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Opera. Useful extensions, fast, plays all the videos that I chuck at it. Optional bonus if you use it on your phone, so you can sync seamlessly (I don't, though, Samsung Browser is far better on Android.)

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
Islander wrote:

Or better yet Opera or vivaldi. Both based on Chromium and not as fishy as SRWare.

Fishy? Do explain...

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:21 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Fishy? Do explain...

Hears a quote from the Wiki:
Quote:
According to Lifehacker, Iron doesn't really offer much you can't get by configuring Google Chrome's privacy settings.According to others, it is scamware or scareware, since the developers bring up non-existent issues about Chrome to claim Iron solves it.

Although SRWare has been claiming "Iron is free and OpenSource", this wasn't true from at least version 6 on until mid 2015, as the links given by them for the source code were hosted in RapidShare and blocked by the uploader. SRWare Iron "is entirely closed source and has been since at least version 6". According to Lifehacker, as of October 2014 SRWare Iron was "supposedly open source but haven't released their source for years". In 2015, SRWare resumed releasing what they claim is the source code for the browser, although not stating on their page what version the source code is from.

Also other sources claim that it's slow to update security patches once they've been added to Chrome/Chromium, which SRware is based on.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:29 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum seems to be using a weird way to send certain SSL requests, it's not following the RFC. As such, is bypassing parts of firewalls/content filters Laughing

Unfortunately part of my job is to lock that down, this browser isn't as honest as Chrome and tells lies. Fast though, very fast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:

Hears a quote from the Wiki:
Quote:
According to Lifehacker, Iron doesn't really offer much you can't get by configuring Google Chrome's privacy settings.According to others, it is scamware or scareware, since the developers bring up non-existent issues about Chrome to claim Iron solves it.

Although SRWare has been claiming "Iron is free and OpenSource", this wasn't true from at least version 6 on until mid 2015, as the links given by them for the source code were hosted in RapidShare and blocked by the uploader. SRWare Iron "is entirely closed source and has been since at least version 6". According to Lifehacker, as of October 2014 SRWare Iron was "supposedly open source but haven't released their source for years". In 2015, SRWare resumed releasing what they claim is the source code for the browser, although not stating on their page what version the source code is from.

Also other sources claim that it's slow to update security patches once they've been added to Chrome/Chromium, which SRware is based on.

I've known about and used Iron as an alternative pretty much since its inception. The privacy settings referred to in the Lifehacker statement were available in the Linux versions of Chrome, but not in the Windows releases - that may have changed but nonetheless, Google don't make it particularly easy to take control.

Iron has always been available free of charge to the end user AFAIK. I may have missed a couple of years - primarily when Firefox was a lean efficient browser, but I've never had any problems with downloading it.

Also, Source code has always been available:

https://download1.srware.net/source/src.7z

https://download1.srware.net/source/src1.7z

The developer can come across as a bit of a knob sometimes which, I suspect, is why Iron has its critics. It is a good browser, it uses Chrome plugins, it has all of the Google reporting code removed rather than disabled, and it is updated regularly.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice Very Happy

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

really impressed with quantum. light years ahead of old firefox.

i really loved firefox but over the years it just fell further and further behind.

use chrome at work as I do a lot of angularjs development and the developer tools are spot on for that but at home quantum is definitely my primary browser.

noscript has even been updated to work with it which is great. never got on with umatrix.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1