Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

An electric grom -- ( Well, not quite, but ..)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: An electric grom -- ( Well, not quite, but ..) Reply with quote

The OTTO Mcr, looks like it could be a giggle ..

https://otto-bike.com/mini-bike/

https://otto-bike.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/mc01-%E6%8B%B7%E8%B2%9D.jpg

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price? Can't see it anywhere. Standard electric bike problems with range and charging so nothing new there. Could be fun if cheap enough which it won't be.

I do like they have hi lighted a big red section where the tyre valve is incase you can't find it.

Looks wise I cannot appreciate these transformer style bikes, they are as ugly as sin compared with the 70's/80's bikes I was brought up on. Yes, I'm a dinosaur.

Maybe the younger generation are more appreciative of these looks.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:44 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would do me for a commuter if the spec is accurate and the bike existed and it was sub £4K and had any potential resale value and parts supply and the warranty wasn't dependent on some random outfit run out of a Taipei fish market who may or may not be in business in 5 years (or now, for that matter).

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing the original Grom has next to no fuel consumption and its realtively simple engine will keep on going for ages, I don't see a electric version bringing anything even remotely worth to think about. Thinking

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the idea of refuelling in my garage instead of in a petrol station - would shave 10 minutes off my commute every week. The range is fine if it's plugged in every day.

Would seriously consider if it's sub-5K, but support is a concern.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but, if you're looking for a sub 5K electric bike/scooter for commuting, could probably do worse than look at 1 of these ..

https://vmoto-uk.com/v120l/

Only, minor drawback, is the top speed of 45mph, but, if it's round town riding, could be perfect.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ That is bordering on the ok ^^^

IF the blurb is factual and range is 90-100 miles (so probably 80 in the real world of use) and you are a London/city commuter. The price is comparable to a scoot.

IMO these city commurts have to become throw away prices to make it in reality, the white goods of the transport world. When it dies or batteries are shot you just scrap for recycling and buy a new one. A bit too expensive for that yet but getting more reasonable.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:01 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

If you can find a dealer stocking it, DVLA will register it (where be ABS / CBS?), and an insurer will touch it.

OK, it's quicker (claimed) that a Super Soco, but for urban use I'd still be thinking powered up electric pedal bike and riding dirty.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like that (OP)

.. but I suspect 'fat clown on a tiny bike' syndrome.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

If you can find a dealer stocking it, DVLA will register it (where be ABS / CBS?), and an insurer will touch it.

OK, it's quicker (claimed) that a Super Soco, but for urban use I'd still be thinking powered up electric pedal bike and riding dirty.

There's a dealer about 20 miles from me, looking at that map though, looks like no dealers in Scotland, yet at least.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:43 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
There's a dealer about 20 miles from me

They're on VMoto's map, but VMoto aren't on their site.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:38 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

OK, it's quicker (claimed) that a Super Soco

If you know the right buttons to push, the Super Soco can actually be de-restricted (resulting in around 40-45mph), the restriction is software based and purely electronic.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:50 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:
If you know the right buttons to push, the Super Soco can actually be de-restricted (resulting in around 40-45mph), the restriction is software based and purely electronic.

Do those buttons triple the power of the 1.2kW motor?

Or is it that they chose to spend extra money on fitting a motor, wiring and associated gubbins that were three times as good as were needed?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would these things not be better if they were designed with the space and mounting points for any Chinese generic clone 50cc two stroke engine to bolt right up in place of the electric powertrain? That way after your 1000-1500 charge cycles (guess) you could take out the motor and dead batteries and re-cycle or sell them for scrap. Should make a few quid from the batteries and copper used in the motors?

I like the irony of starting out with a zero emissions clean machine, and after say 2years or X miles of clean use, when batteries and controllers etc are toast, converting it to a pre- catalyst era two stroke engine very easily, and which will probably be far more alien to us by then than EV's will be. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:41 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Cadbury wrote:

Do those buttons triple the power of the 1.2kW motor?

Or is it that they chose to spend extra money on fitting a motor, wiring and associated gubbins that were three times as good as were needed?

Yes, I believe the latter (and then reduce the power for the EU/UK market)

In Canada, where the speed restrictions for 'moped' are higher, it is faster https://motorino.ca/motorino-gtl re-branded, but the same bike, and lists top speed as 65kph (about 40)

Last edited by Cadbury on 11:25 - 04 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Looks wise I cannot appreciate these transformer style bikes, they are as ugly as sin compared with the 70's/80's bikes I was brought up on. Yes, I'm a dinosaur.

Maybe the younger generation are more appreciative of these looks.

Normally like but in this case do not like Sick

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:22 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:
Yes, I believe the latter (and then reduce the power for the EU/UK market)

In Canada, where the speed restrictions for 'moped' are higher, it is faster https://motorino.ca/motorino-gtl re-branded, but the same bike, and lists top speed as 65kph (about 40)

Aaah. 1.2kW "nominal", 3kW peak.

I was wondering why they don't offer an A2 version, but that would need ABS. I assume it's got some form of form's-sake CBS?

Pretty cunning, actually.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:56 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
There's a dealer about 20 miles from me

They're on VMoto's map, but VMoto aren't on their site.

Dealer says: they don't stock them, but they can get them in if I want to pay up front.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Dealer says: they don't stock them, but they can get them in if I want to pay up front.

Ahh, I see, not as likely to sell many that way. I guess, chicken & egg situation ..

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I had a quick stab at trying to get an insurance quote, but couldn't find them on the lists, so I gave up for the moment.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1