BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Xbox 1 or ps4?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up and gone back to the Nintendo 64.
Every time I switched on my xbone it wants a collosal update. My internet can just about manage 1GB per hour so literally any update means I have to leave it and do something else.
If I could play while it downloads, I'd be able to use it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
I've given up and gone back to the Nintendo 64.
Every time I switched on my xbone it wants a collosal update. My internet can just about manage 1GB per hour so literally any update means I have to leave it and do something else.
If I could play while it downloads, I'd be able to use it.

You mean system software? They're not that big. Games you can update whilst playing, I think you can also set the console to automatically update in standby mode (as with the PS4).

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/console/learn-about-power-modes
For automatic updates, select Keep my console, games & apps up to date.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
If you already own a w10 PC, that's capable of gaming (for the xbox one games all you need is a cheap GTX1050Ti; recommended for 1080/60fps in Forza and many other games), then the DirectX-box doesn't make much sense for you.

Have you tried it? There are guys with 1070s struggling to run Forza.

Not yet, I'm still on w7. But, looking at youtube the 1050Ti does more than a decent job, even when paired with low budget CPUs.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
even when paired with low budget CPUs.

Not so sure, I've heard of guys with Ryzen 7 chips that are struggling.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:43 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a PS1 and PS2 at launch.
Instead of a PS3, I got a Xbox 360 because the gf thought that I'd want that.
Spent 9 years happily banging away on the 360, and bought a PS3 second hand a few years ago for the exclusives that I wanted to play (The Last Of Us mainly). I've now given that to my lad (and yesterday I picked up 20 PS3 games for £20 *mainly decent, including a COD game, a couple of GTA's (4 and liberty city stories), some racing games etc) and it is still decent, but I am glad that I got the 360.

When it came to the new consoles, I originally wanted to get one at launch, but life got in the way and I didn't upgrade until recently.

My initial choice was the PS4, based on MS's DRM plans, always on connection requirements, and spec. But then I realised that I have 10 years of impulsive XBox Live purchases, and a decent library of games, as well as paying for XBox Live Gold and the free games that come monthly (the 360 games have been XBOne compatible every month for some time now).
My friends were pretty much PS4 leaning, but a lot swapped in and went Xbox One (and some went the other way) but now my friends list is about 50/50.
I also got offered an Xbox One 500Gb console, with 4 games, 2 pads, two headsets and some rechargeable batteries and charger for £125. I took their hand off so quickly it was like they had osteoperosis.

Again. Really enjoying the XBox one. A portable HDD is a necessity, but other than that, I like it. I still have an eye open for a rediculously priced PS4, but I've got next gen gaming again.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
My initial choice was the PS4, based on MS's DRM plans, always on connection requirements, and spec.

What I touched on earlier, the Xbox somewhat ruined its rep' before it came out, even though MS never implemented their plans and even went the other way (adding backwards compatibility etc.).

One thing that annoys me is that if your internet's down you can't play games you've downloaded (dunno if this is true of the PS4). With physical copies you can turn off the internet on your console and play the game.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

internet down? what's that?

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh My!
that reminds me....
We bought the David Attenborough thingy Planet Earth 2, ultra 4k UHD.
Internet was down, so thought we'd slip that in to the xbox and watch it...
Nope..
we needed to have preguessed the 'net being down and preloaded some media software!

Never guessed for a second that would be a problem.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehugger wrote:
Oh My!
that reminds me....
We bought the David Attenborough thingy Planet Earth 2, ultra 4k UHD.
Internet was down, so thought we'd slip that in to the xbox and watch it...
Nope..
we needed to have preguessed the 'net being down and preloaded some media software!

Never guessed for a second that would be a problem.

The app business' somewhat odd. I popped a CD in and had to download an app to play it Confused You'd have thought they'd include basic functionally in the system software.

Still not quite as bad as the first Xbox when you had to buy a DVD 'playback kit'.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:16 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get whatever your mates have, if it is split get it for the exclusives you best like the look of. No point judging it on performance. The most powerful console is usually not 'The Best' in the generation.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Get whatever your mates have, if it is split get it for the exclusives you best like the look of. No point judging it on performance. The most powerful console is usually not 'The Best' in the generation.

This +1

Here's a short list of the more powerful consoles of their own generation:
1) Atari Jaguar
2) Sega Saturn
3) Panasonic 3DO
4) PC engine
5) Neo Geo
6) Sega 32X
7) Atari Lynx
8) TurboExpress (play PC engine games on go)
9) Game Gear
10) PS Vita

All very powerful, the handhelds far superior to what was available, ahead of their time to a certain extent. But, having the best HW doesn't always mean having the best platform and looking at that list, it was one failure after another.

Except maybe the PC engine, depends on the region.

What does this tell us? It's all about the games.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot more factors, particularly with that list which includes systems from when the market was a lot more crowded. It's basically a choice of two now. The performance of the standard Xbox isn't good enough on many (mainly racing) titles, so if that was your main interest it would be a big factor.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2