Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

dealership service, necessary for the 1st one or not?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheBikerStig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:41 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: dealership service, necessary for the 1st one or not? Reply with quote

Apparently its important to get the first service done at the dealership, or an approved one for your make of bike. For me this is inconvenient as fuck and sounds rather bullshit. Is there any truth in this?
Some say that he is the sole survivor of Atlantis, and that he refused to speed test a new Hayabusa this morning simply because there was no milk for his Brexit. All we know is hes called TheBikerStig.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: dealership service, necessary for the 1st one or not? Reply with quote

TheBikerStig wrote:
Apparently its important to get the first service done at the dealership, or an approved one for your make of bike. For me this is inconvenient as fuck and sounds rather bullshit. Is there any truth in this?

**grabs popcorn**

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is "truth"? Wink Shocked
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this on a brand new bike?
what sort of warrenty is offered by the dealer ?
some will depend on the bike.

on my latest bike i haggled the 1st service into the purchase price.
also the 1st service included removing factory set running in rev limmit and sortng out some new bike niggles q/s not working and a few other bits,all stuff coverd by sale of goods etc.
and being a bmw they got to do a couple of recalls (on a bike 3 weeks old!)
on my fz1 i rode it out of the dealer and it never went back.
i did my own servicing.

1st service is usually just an oil flush and check nothing has fallen off.

as for the legalities regarding warrenty vs non dealer service ive no idea.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might make a difference in a warranty claim somewhere down the line. I'll only use supplying dealer for servicing etc(Fowlers)
until mines out of warranty. Then JHS racing is my nearest place. Although that could get expensive in other ways. Twisted Evil

TheBikerStig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:29 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:

also the 1st service included removing factory set running in rev limmit and sortng out some new bike niggles q/s not working and a few other bits,all stuff coverd by sale of goods etc.
i did my own servicing.

New Versys 1000. Im considering doing the oil and filter myself. From what I read in the manual, everything else is basically checks/adjustments. The main problem is being able to get it in at a suitable time due to working shifts. Plus I can never get hold of the service department anyway.
Some say that he is the sole survivor of Atlantis, and that he refused to speed test a new Hayabusa this morning simply because there was no milk for his Brexit. All we know is hes called TheBikerStig.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion is that if you buy a new bike/car then you should factor in dealer servicing up until the warranty expires. Why spend all that money on something then skimp on the running costs, especially when you are in danger of having a potential warranty claim rejected. Each to their own though.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattEMulsion wrote:
My personal opinion is that if you buy a new bike/car then you should factor in dealer servicing up until the warranty expires.

prehaps it would be of interest how much £$ you have spent to-date on dealer servicing ....

then i can tell you how much i`ve not spent Wink

TheBikerStig wrote:
Apparently its important to get the first service done at the dealership, or an approved one for your make of bike.?

i always have ....

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBikerStig wrote:
wristjob wrote:

i did my own servicing.

New Versys 1000. Im considering doing the oil and filter myself. From what I read in the manual, everything else is basically checks/adjustments. The main problem is being able to get it in at a suitable time due to working shifts. Plus I can never get hold of the service department anyway.

If you can never get hold of the service department, why are you buying a bike from them?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:25 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still have your statutory rights.

In order to maintain your explicit warranty, you need to read the terms of it and follow them.

For example, last time I checked, BMW did not require servicing at a Motorrad dealer in order to maintain the warranty on a new bike, but they did to maintain the extended warranty on a used bike.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, but cannot directly quote/prove; you can do the servicing yourself so long as OEM approved parts and consumables are used. Again, it's internets hearsay but I believe there have been a number of county court cases supporting this.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesky EU law I believe? Block exemption or similar, though think it was argued on here whether or not is applied to cars and bikes, or just cars?

Borgy?

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:38 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe an EU ruling said companies couldn't reject warranty claims if main dealer service departments weren't used, so long as whoever does the servicing uses approved parts

Whether dealers will make any warranty claims particularly easy if you've had the vehicle serviced elsewhere is another story

Personally I'd have any new bike/car main dealer serviced in the warranty period for this reason

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:15 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe so. Block exemption only ever applied to cars, and has expired. Marques are free to set their own rules for warranties.

I stress that those are always in addition to statutory rights. There's no law of which I'm aware that says that a manufacturer or retailer has to offer an explicit warranty.

OP will have to read his Suzuki warranty to see what it says.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you need warranty work doing and book isn't stamped for first service

Is it worth it really
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
prehaps it would be of interest how much £$ you have spent to-date on dealer servicing ....

Well I don't know specific figures off the top of my head but when I bought my R6, the first service (600 mile?) was free - I just had to pay for the parts. I think after then only had one dealer service at the end of year one, which keep my warranty fully valid until it ran out at the end of year two, at which point and from then onwards I have serviced the bike myself.

A similar story with my car, I had a dealer service at the end of years one and two, kept everything fully valid until the end of year three from which point onwards I have maintained it.

I certainly haven't had any major issues with either my bike or car, but if I remember correctly I had a mirror replaced on my R6 because the glass was delaminating around the edge and my car went in for the SRS warning light that had come on. Both done without quibble under warranty.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:33 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always taken the view that a Japanese bike (and indeed most vehicles) is only likely to go wrong if there's an assembly fault. In which case, it's likely to go wrong early doors.

Hence I've always had the first service done by the supplying dealer so there's no quibble room if the bike does go tits up.

In reality, I've never had a Jap bike go wrong inside 5 years hence I DIY after the first oil change service.

BTW OP, nice choice of bike. Thumbs Up

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBikerStig wrote:
New Versys 1000.

I was chatting to a Versys 1000 owner earlier this year and the only problem he had with his bike when it was new was the abundant corrosion on the discs and sticking calipers.This was despite washing the bike whenever it got dirty.

In the end he got fed up with the corrosion that appeared on other parts of the chassis and bought a Triumph Tiger 800 instead.

Always have a 'Plan B'

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to the manufacturer I am an independent and have had customers get permission to use me fro first services
It may be possible depends on circumstances Honda certainly are or can be flexible

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:17 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
Talk to the manufacturer I am an independent and have had customers get permission to use me fro first services

Written "permission"?

Because I'll say again, as a new bike purchaser you'll have a written warranty which sets out the evidence that you'll be expected to provide if you make a claim against it. Which may be against the dealer you bought it from, another dealer, or Suzuki UK.

I stress this because a verbal "Yeah mate, no worries mate," from one dealer or a random phone monkey won't cut much mustard two years down the line.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes at least one got a letter from I think it was Honda !

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:00 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
Yes at least one got a letter from I think it was Honda !

Huh, shows it's worth asking then. Informative, thanks.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought my Grom brand new from the dealers and it has never been back there since.

I have done all servicing my self.
£120 for the dealer to change £10 oil and do a valve clearance check which all in costs me £10 for the oil and 10 minutes to check the valve clearances.

nope ill do it myself
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1