Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki ER-5 - oil site glass misting up during winter use

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

daws0n
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:21 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Kawasaki ER-5 - oil site glass misting up during winter use Reply with quote

I bought myself an ER-5 recently - regulator issue aside it's been a reliable workhorse so far. It had a full service mid 2015 and it's only clocked up a 2500 miles since, but as 18 months have passed now I figure it's time to give it an oil and filter change.

I've noticed that over the past few weeks the site glass has gotten progressively cloudy. So much so, that I could barely see the oil level behind it. Research online suggested this is due to my short daily commutes and cold weather, not allowing the engine to get hot enough and causing condensation... This evening I put that to the test and took the filler cap off for half an hour after getting home. Lots of steam escaped and as hoped, the glass is much clearer now - a little emulsification remains but I should be able to get a good reading when I change the oil over the weekend.

I don't have have a garage and keep the bike outside, so am a little of keeping the filler cap off regularly while exposed to the elements - are there any further steps I can take to prevent this from happening over the cold winter months?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki ER-5 - oil site glass misting up during winter Reply with quote

daws0n wrote:
are there any further steps I can take to prevent this from happening over the cold winter months?

Take the bike for a good long run to burn the moisture off. But even then if you are only doing short trips it will return....

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:56 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with above. Wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment and no need to keep taking off the oil filler cap... heat out, cool moist air being drawn in! These engines take about 10 miles to warm up properly, so if you're doing less than that to/from work, there's not much you can do other than buy a CG125 Wink

daws0n
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:23 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a detour to work the other day and did a brisk 25 miles.... That didn't touch it, so glad that taking the filler cap off has improved things considerably. I'm guessing it will need a good 75+ mile trip to clear up proper?

My daily commute is 8 miles each way and only 30/40mph, so it does need a good run in all fairness... I'll take it on the motorway on the weekend and will do so more often - it's easy not to when I use the bike all week but I doubt pottering about in 3rd/4th all the time will do it much good long term.

I've already bought some 10W40 s/s oil ready for the job. No idea on the brand but my local motorbike garage use it every day and sell it straight from the drum. I was thinking it's best to do another change ready for summer in a few months time so will chuck in some good stuff then.

Last edited by daws0n on 20:39 - 06 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

daws0n
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:28 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do rather miss my 125 actually Chris - ideal for this kind of riding really. Got rid of my little XV years ago, it was a tidy little runner and I missed the fuel economy when I changed over to an XJR. This ER-5 cheap as chips to run in comparison, but shame about the brakes though. Going from 3 discs and brembo calipers to 1 disc and a drum takes some getting used to!

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:28 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do rather miss my 125 actually Chris

My first ever bike back in 1979! Still miss it's free revving engine and 120 mpg even when pushed to the limit. The ER and Gpz 500's all have poor brakes, especially mine with the rear disc . The ER is a tidy street cruiser (slightly detuned from the GPz) but it still needs regular exercise Smile Leave the oil change till the Spring and don't worry to much about the misting issue, it would take some considerable time before it was an issue. Most important thing is you use your bike regular. Cheers.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:06 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can vent the oil filler cap by drilling a tiny (like 2mm) hole into it from the side then drilling another, slightly larger hole up from the inside (not al the way through) to meet it at 90 degrees. Seen it done on other bikes, not an ER5

Obviously, you risk water getting in too but it should be minimal, especially if you position the vent hole facing backwards. If it causes a problem with either water gettng in or oil mist getting out, simply melt the end of the hole shut again with a soldering iron..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1