Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Team building.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Team building. Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
My employer wants ideas for a team building day. Shocked

Help!


More holidays Smile

Double the wages Laughing

Anything else, unless it's in works time FEEK OFF..

Do you get paid to make management decisions?
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
All of your "team" get a common performance review and identical pay rise, you say?


Some years ago, I had accepted a redundancy package, I had a leaving date some months in the future.
A performance review reared it's ugly, bullshit, head.
The knowledge that I was leaving and the effect that would have on how I would approach the form filling seemed to have escaped my manager.
Apparently the responses I gave were not was expected.
I was told if I didn't edit my responses, (to fall in line with those of my fellow team members), that the whole team's performance bonus might be in jeopardy, (some mild peril, right there).
Given I was leaving and the bonus was a whopping 200 ponds for the whole fcukin' year, I didn't bother.

Should have sent me on a team building course I guess!
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:46 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
All of your "team" get a common performance review and identical pay rise, you say?


Some years ago, I had accepted a redundancy package, I had a leaving date some months in the future.
A performance review reared it's ugly, bullshit, head.
The knowledge that I was leaving and the effect that would have on how I would approach the form filling seemed to have escaped my manager.
Apparently the responses I gave were not was expected.
I was told if I didn't edit my responses, (to fall in line with those of my fellow team members), that the whole team's performance bonus might be in jeopardy, (some mild peril, right there).
Given I was leaving and the bonus was a whopping 200 ponds for the whole fcukin' year, I didn't bother.

Should have sent me on a team building course I guess!

We have an anonymous survey* where the results get worse each year Laughing They've stopped trying to spin the results, basically that the companies shite and the managers are all Stalin, and only care about participation levels so avoiding said survey (and general reviews) is the new game.

*far from being a cathartic experience it's a yearly reminder of how much you hate the job/employer, I genuinely have no idea what good it's meant to do.
____________________
Street Trip'
Yamaha MT-03 (660)
Honda XR-125L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

asta1
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 03 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is near brum right?

We did off-road gokarting here
http://www.walker-adams.co.uk/

followed by a boozy night on the town for the last team building thing.

Actually really fun, plus I got to pelt my boss with gravel so win/win.

Team building is mostly bullshit, but as long as it's on a workday its better than being in the office.
____________________
CBT Acquired: 09/07/2015
A2 Licence Passed: 12/02/16
Current Bike: Yamaha MT-07 bought 02/07/16
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
...........far from being a cathartic experience it's a yearly reminder of how much you hate the job/employer, I genuinely have no idea what good it's meant to do.


IMO, it's a waste of time, literally, it took a whole day to fill in the forms, a whole days work missed.
There is a major flaw in the whole process, in that the it is geared towards some kind of career progression/advancement.
It completely ignores people who are quite happy in their role, people who come in day after day, do a good job then go home and other than being paid at the end of each month have no other interest in the work environment.
As I said in my case it boiled down to a fiver a week bonus, whopeefuckingdo, I'd have paid a fiver a week just for the pleasure of winding up a few of the, incompetent, dickheads running the place.
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
OP is near brum right?

We did off-road gokarting here
http://www.walker-adams.co.uk/

followed by a boozy night on the town for the last team building thing.

Actually really fun, plus I got to pelt my boss with gravel so win/win.

Team building is mostly bullshit, but as long as it's on a workday its better than being in the office.


No, OP is in Scotchland.
____________________
http://imgur.com/a/9DUAd
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

asta1
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 03 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:39 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:


No, OP is in Scotchland.


Huh, my mistake. Not sure where I got that impression from then..
____________________
CBT Acquired: 09/07/2015
A2 Licence Passed: 12/02/16
Current Bike: Yamaha MT-07 bought 02/07/16
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
There is a major flaw in the whole process, in that the it is geared towards some kind of career progression/advancement.

Same with ours, except they have no intention of anyone progressing, so it really is BS.

Suntan Sid wrote:
As I said in my case it boiled down to a fiver a week bonus, whopeefuckingdo, I'd have paid a fiver a week just for the pleasure of winding up a few of the, incompetent, dickheads running the place.

We get a 20-30 bonus every few months for meeting team targets, unsurprisingly no one's really bothered about them. The worst thing they did was remove individual targets/pay rises, why would you put in the extra effort when you're getting paid the same as some other lazy c**t.
____________________
Street Trip'
Yamaha MT-03 (660)
Honda XR-125L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:59 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
All of your "team" get a common performance review and identical pay rise, you say?


I did suggest once tbat given "the challenging funding environment" charities face that maybe we should become a cooperative. Set pay scales as no more or less than 20% of average wage. You can imagine the reaction.

Ive suggested we go glider flying.
____________________
Remember, in some way every day you can do something even in a small way to make this world a shittier place for other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:02 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Ive suggested we go glider flying.

Laughing

Sounds fun but what's the team building angle on it? Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:22 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Ive suggested we go glider flying.

Laughing

Sounds fun but what's the team building angle on it? Laughing


2 people in a plane, 1 parachute, the winner (survivor) gets the promotion?
____________________
Triumph Trophy Launch Edition

http://www.jdboatsafetyandservices.co.uk/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team scrapheap-challenge-stylee builds a glider, manager gets/has to fly it.

Extreme 360 review.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, reminds me of the (apocryphal) story of software team leads going on a quality training course. The course trainer asks them to put up their hand if they'd go on a plane where their team had written the avionics software. Only one guy puts up his hand. The trainer asks him if he really has that much faith in his team.

"I'd be perfectly safe", says the team lead, "If my team wrote it, that plane isn't going anywhere.".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: discovery (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.01 - MySQL Queries: 17 - CDN Objects: 50 - Page Size: 88.03 Kb