Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

It's almost like we're being treated like proper people...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:47 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: It's almost like we're being treated like proper people... Reply with quote

Death by dangerous driving, 4 years.

That's more than my brother's killer got.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-42251581

Edit: Probably got more for lying, aggravated offence...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:02 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good.

However just make using phones illegal in any form as it saves any misconceptions.

Oh, include police hand operated radios and CB's as well, the operation of which by the driver I gather at the moment are not illegal.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:41 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I've got Google maps up on my phone I'm less of a hazard, as I (sort of) know where I'm going.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:41 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: It's almost like we're being treated like proper people. Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Death by dangerous driving, 4 years.

Al Beeb wrote:
A driver who killed a motorcyclist while making a hands-free call has been jailed for three years.

Poor obs. Four year driving ban, which (praise allah) will now begin after she's released in 18 months, rather than running concurrently.

Almost like we're people.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those cold remorseless eyes.

No pothole, no evidence of clipping a verge, just veered across the road and head on'd a pleasant biker chap.
Surprised she didn't claim mismatched tyres and sun in her eyes.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

She looks like she would have killed sooner or later in any case. Looks the type to poison her husband.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in my car this morning dropping my son off to pre-school, a Mini Cooper drifted across into my lane and started driving straight towards me, I sounded horn and came to a near stop and she suddenly realised what was happening, massively over-corrected her course and went back into her own lane and hit the kerb on her side. I could still see the phone in her hand too. Bearing in mind the area was _full_ of kids {and kittens, natch) walking to school too, I'm guessing that's where she'd just been. WTAF is wrong with people?

We need self driving cars sooner rather than later, people are selfish impatient pricks and generally shouldn't be in charge of a vehicle.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:34 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Oh, include police hand operated radios and CB's as well, the operation of which by the driver I gather at the moment are not illegal.

You ever tried pre-alerting a hospital that you're incoming fast with a dying patient in the back? When its suddenly all gone to shit, and your crewmate in the back is busy keeping someone alive you dont have time to pull over, stop, request to speak, wait for someone to answer you. Then M-S-M and move off again safely. Emergency services using the radio whilst driving is a necessity, it is something we're trained to do, and we're (most of the time generally) better drivers than Joe Public. I understand anti-police rhetoric is the cool, in thing to do these days, but it affects more than just the fuzz.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Emergency services using the radio whilst driving is a necessity

Y u no have hands free? Genuinely.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:16 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Tierbirdy wrote:
Emergency services using the radio whilst driving is a necessity

Y u no have hands free? Genuinely.

That. Although it might get awkward if everything said were being recorded.

Although: why not?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

You ever tried pre-alerting a hospital that you're incoming fast with a dying patient in the back? When its suddenly all gone to shit, and your crewmate in the back is busy keeping someone alive you dont have time to pull over, stop, request to speak, wait for someone to answer you. Then M-S-M and move off again safely. Emergency services using the radio whilst driving is a necessity, it is something we're trained to do, and we're (most of the time generally) better drivers than Joe Public. I understand anti-police rhetoric is the cool, in thing to do these days, but it affects more than just the fuzz.

Is it? Show me a course where you are trained to operate the radio while driving ONE HANDED at emergency speeds rather than just trained to operate the radio.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:27 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Is it? Show me a course where you are trained to operate the radio while driving ONE HANDED at emergency speeds rather than just trained to operate the radio.

I suspect that they're part of the same thing since operating the radio whilst driving is an essential part of being an ambulance driver.

Realistically, it wouldn't work if they had to follow the sames rules as everyone else has to about using hand held devices.

But what could work is for ambulances to have radio controls on the steering wheel which combined with appropriate microphones and speakers would mean no more driving one handed. For instance, a throat mic and in-ear headphones would do the job quite nicely.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

But what could work is for ambulances to have radio controls on the steering wheel which combined with appropriate microphones and speakers would mean no more driving one handed. For instance, a throat mic and in-ear headphones would do the job quite nicely.

Except for the fact the the stupid bint was using hands free...

So this puts them in the same position. The only answer is for someone other than the driver to use the radio...

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:49 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most emergency vehicles are fitted with a boom mike and toggle stalk, the problem in the main is the noise in the cab of.the two tones renders it mainly useless in the circumstances in which they would see use.

The tech is there, but too expensive to allow a body worn set with throat mike that will connect reliably to the in vehicle system and allow mr ambufireplod to jump out of the vehicle forgetting to disconnect it.

IIRC, there was a study at the time of the law being brought.in that demonstrated a send/recieve/send approach was hugely less distracting than a full blown phone gossip, hence why the two way radio exemption was approved
Although study to show it's gonna be ok may have just shown its gonna be ok.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
I was in my car this morning dropping my son off to pre-school, a Mini Cooper drifted across into my lane and started driving straight towards me, I sounded horn and came to a near stop and she suddenly realised what was happening, massively over-corrected her course and went back into her own lane and hit the kerb on her side. I could still see the phone in her hand too. Bearing in mind the area was _full_ of kids {and kittens, natch) walking to school too, I'm guessing that's where she'd just been. WTAF is wrong with people?

We need self driving cars sooner rather than later, people are selfish impatient pricks and generally shouldn't be in charge of a vehicle.

Lies women are brilliant multi-taskers Folded arms

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5087152/road-rage-driver-chased-biker-60mph-pursuit/

Another one... 9 years out in 4. How this isnt attempted murder/ felony murder (due to creating the situation) is beyond me.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:37 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

That. Although it might get awkward if everything said were being recorded.

Although: why not?

There is indeed a hands free push to talk button mounted beside the steering wheel that activated the already mentioned stalk microphone that’s usually mounted above the drivers head.

However it’s usually either drowned out by the sirens, doesn’t work, or has been ripped off/covered in sticky tape by paranoid people who don’t want the control room listening in on everything that’s said in the hol sanctuary of the ambulance cabin. Whilst we have been repeatedly assured that “active listening” only gets activated when the panic button is hit, nobody believes that and many times things have been said and mysteriously picked up by control somehow by some miraculous coincidence.

Also to answer the other question, operating radio, the satnav and the built in computer system whilst driving are all part of blue light training. Obviously it’s a common sense approach like “don’t do it at 90mph in inner city streets whilst doing a handbrake turn if possible “ but we are trained and allowed to do it. Though I have no doubt we would be equally crucified if it was proven to have caused an avoidable accident

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:53 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5087152/road-rage-driver-chased-biker-60mph-pursuit/

Another one... 9 years out in 4. How this isnt attempted murder/ felony murder (due to creating the situation) is beyond me.

Bit more to this though, not an innocent biker in the slightest, Hutchings was a known known bike thief,
wearing no lid during the chase which should ring alarm bells all day long, With previous for stealing a car,
on a ban at the time of incident, loaded up on coke and cannabis.

David Barnes, no previous convictions, employed family man, forced into this course of action in my opinion by the
basic fact that the Police wouldn't have done anything more than issue a crime number for the stolen bike.

The shame here is that a man of good character is now inside because a nasty thieving druggie stole his brothers bike.
There was no proof that Hutchings stole it, but he was riding it. I'm not shedding too many tears for Hutchings.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/video-police-release-footage-of-stuart-hutchings-being-chased-in-northampton-before-his-death-as-pursuer-gets-nine-years-in-jail-1-8278903

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/trio-led-police-on-high-speed-chase-in-stolen-car-1-4992474

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:28 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I'm not shedding any tears either^^^

I hope the bloke at least has a warm fuzzy feeling to alleviate the time he has to spend in jail, that he has removed one scumbag oxygen thief from existence.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
There is indeed a hands free push to talk button mounted beside the steering wheel that activated the already mentioned stalk microphone that’s usually mounted above the drivers head.

However it’s usually... been ripped off/covered in sticky tape by paranoid people who don’t want the control room listening in on everything that’s said in the hol sanctuary of the ambulance cabin.

Oh okay. That seems perfectly fine.

Selective quoting aside, the underlying argument is that the training makes the difference. So if the mere mortal masses had training, we too could safely use mobile phones / radios / eat Kit-Kats while driving?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:06 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Bit more to this though, not an innocent biker in the slightest, Hutchings was a known known bike thief

I ass-u-me'd as much.

Driver should have got a medal, and ideally paid a bounty for removing a bike-, benefits- and oxygen-thief from our midst.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:49 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see a decent prosecution in this case, but the outcome is bound to be even more stupid blanket legislation.

I was knocked off my bike (rear ended) by a guy on his phone at a busy junction at rush hour. It wasnt appropriate for him to be holding an important call he was invested in whilst trying to do something else.

Does that make it an issue to be on the phone driving up an empty motorway at 10pm?

Is sending a text whilst stationary, 6th car from a set of traffic lights the same thing as sending one whilst doing 60 along a twisty A-road?

The problem with all of these things is that one persons inability to judge their behaviour results in blanket legislation and people being done for things which really arent an issue, like using their phone whilst parked with the engine running.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Tierbirdy wrote:

However it’s usually... been ripped off/covered in sticky tape by paranoid people who don’t want the control room listening in on everything that’s said in the hol sanctuary of the ambulance cabin.

Oh okay. That seems perfectly fine.

Selective quoting aside, the underlying argument is that the training makes the difference. So if the mere mortal masses had training, we too could safely use mobile phones / radios / eat Kit-Kats while driving?

That's the problem though. You can have training for the physical side of operating equipment. Training for the mental/concentration side is a completely different kettle of fish and while maybe the military will go to those lengths with something like fighter pilots I'm bloody certain the emergency services don't.

With mobile phones the argument (proved) is that when you are talking, you are concentrating on the conversation and not on the road. The same happens using transmit/receive radios which is why at sea, in cases of an emergency, by law there has to be a dedicated radio operator who does nothing but operate the radio, relay instructions and log them.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:11 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the big difference is necessity, I can’t think of a single situation when Joe Public NEEDS to use their phone whilst driving that isn’t already legal (calling 999). Whereas in ther emergency services it frequently is. In an ideal world your crew mate would operate it rather than the driver but in a world of budget cut single crewed police cars, and dynamically changing situations dealing with patients it’s not always possible. I’m not quite sure why you’ve got such a chip on your shoulder about it.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Bit more to this though, not an innocent biker in the slightest, Hutchings was a known known bike thief,
wearing no lid during the chase which should ring alarm bells all day long, With previous for stealing a car,
on a ban at the time of incident, loaded up on coke and cannabis.

David Barnes, no previous convictions, employed family man, forced into this course of action in my opinion by the
basic fact that the Police wouldn't have done anything more than issue a crime number for the stolen bike.

The shame here is that a man of good character is now inside because a nasty thieving druggie stole his brothers bike.
There was no proof that Hutchings stole it, but he was riding it. I'm not shedding too many tears for Hutchings.

Assuming the above version is accurate, the difference between this and the super-soaraway-Sun's version of events is quite simply staggering. Shouldn't be surprised, of course Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2