BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cbr6 spat a plug

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will attempt fixing the threads. Pete, please can you post the helicoil kit?

How do you get the tang off? punch and magnet to fish it out?
How do you hold/drive the tap? is it a hex? cant use a normal tap wrench in the space. I could make a square drive to ratchet spanner adaptor if needed. The space limits me to about 15 degrees of rotation when doing up a plug, painful.

60 miles on the bus was not fun !

Thanks

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more, when inserting the coil, how do you know when its in to prevent going too far? Could add a shoulder to the insert tool so that it stops on the plug seat.

I read that the insert needs to protrude past the plug threads or carbon buildup will pull the insert out when removing plug.

Is this correct type of kit? www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272924888633

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tool has a stop.

Cut thread - load insert onto tool - screw in - remove tool - snap tang.

Job done.

Send me your address for maximum satisfaction.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a cheap helicoil kit from ebay. The tap is good but needed to make up a 7mm square driver, longer inserter tool and punch, but simplest tools you could possibly make. Im aware I could have ground the tap down to 1/4" drive but the one extension I have is too short. Inserts are non magnetic stainless, so using fishing line round the tang to retain it.

I knew Id probably cock up with the insert so I made a couple test pieces. Yes it is easy and no, you can not remove them if it goes wrong. I had one trying to jump threads.

Will attempt on the bike tomorrow.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:37 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drilled and tapped new thread. Not had time to put the helicoil in.

https://s17.postimg.org/67vex60hb/IMG_20171216_200657.jpg

None of the swarf went into the engine, checked with camera. All stuck to the tap /grease when I put it back in.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:24 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite. Ive cocked it up. Insert went in ok. Tang broke ok, nothing fell in engine. Should all be good, except plug is a very tight fit and doesnt go more than half way.

I did chop 3 turns off the insert as it was too long. I dressed the end, seems I left a small burr. Took plug out and the first turn from plug peeled off.

However my test peice is also an extremely tight fit and I did not cut this one.
Could stick a plug in lathe and recut a tiny bit smaller...

https://s17.postimg.org/syvrbny1b/171217_135311.jpg

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 16:17 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7WduGDdM3E

Lots of shit down there Laughing Looks like one turn of thread left, probably longer than the plug thread so not used.

Definetly a new thread job, if it were me i would use a timesert (quite expensive Confused ) rather than a helli coil Thumbs Up .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few more attempts with several old plugs, one went in and I forced it the full 9 turns - I was counting! I did use copper slip but I am skeptical it will come out easily or without atleast damage to the plug. One plug came out with 3 turns stripped. Stuck camera down the intake, can just about see the blurry mess but no coil protruding.

Started her up with the garage door shut, sounds horrible, but after a few seconds realised that is just the exhaust. The plug is fine, she runs.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 137 days between these two posts...

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.postimg.cc/vZF8YGTm/IMG-20200502-192247.jpg

Two and a bit years later Laughing
She caught corona virus a month ago and has not ran since I got recovered home, not even with brake cleaner and hitting the bank angle sensor. I decided to check the plugs.

The plug was extremely tight coming out, and stripped much of the plug thread, but I see I had that before when test fitting. I will get the bore cam back down there to inspect.

Anything I can do, to prevent the stainless insert ruining the plug thread? Or that I should do before I stick a new plug in?

Thanks

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:46 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a plug tap ,come thread cleaner to run down the spark plug thread

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

She caught corona virus a month ago and has not ran since I got recovered home, not even with brake cleaner and hitting the bank angle sensor. I decided to check the plugs.

The plug was extremely tight coming out, and stripped much of the plug thread, but I see I had that before when test fitting. I will get the bore cam back down there to inspect.

Anything I can do, to prevent the stainless insert ruining the plug thread? Or that I should do before I stick a new plug in?

Thanks

You must have some balls, posting pictures of those in that state. Laughing

Too much to ask if you will be putting all new in or just planning on replacing the one with the smushed thread?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pop the head off and vacuum out all the swarf... you'll be fine Wink

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Just pop the head off and vacuum out all the swarf... you'll be fine Wink

What the fuck is wrong with the age old method of spinning up the engine with the plugs out? Mr. Green

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
kramdra wrote:

Thanks

You must have some balls, posting pictures of those in that state. Laughing

Too much to ask if you will be putting all new in or just planning on replacing the one with the smushed thread?

Unsure yet, iridium are not cheap, and they do appear petfectly functional. They have only done 65,000 miles Laughing from 2016, almost new! The insulators are stained but the iridium tip is still there. I have some old spares that were replaced early I can use instead..

Question is what to do about this insert?! Cant run a tap down, it could break or jump out. First might make another test thread and see if its the same with insert. Then Ill pop a plug in the lathe and cut the thread a bit deeper.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:10 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the insert is badly fitted,and is tapered it must come out, the thread re cut and a new insert put in

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not tapered. I suspect either the thread is just galling, because stainless, or the tap in the kit is undersize. I dont see any way of getting it out, without stripping the engine.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be inclined to remove the insert, re-do the threads properly, and put in a new insert.

EDIT: And double-check it's the rigt insert!

Last edited by Riejufixing on 09:43 - 03 May 2020; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I dont see any way of getting it out, without stripping the engine.

The insert. Helicoil, or TIME-SERT?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the state of the plug I'd say that the combustion gases have been getting past the threads and the sealing washer.

I have a M10 x 1.0mm tap I could send you to clean them up.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a couple of m10x1 thanks for the offer Pete. The carbon and staining might be burnt copper slip. I will clean up the other 3 threads and replace all of the sealing washers (on my better, spare plugs, they have done half the miles)

It was one of these, m10x1 www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281938550348

I am interested, how can the insert be removed?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Ive got a couple of m10x1 thanks for the offer Pete. The carbon and staining might be burnt copper slip. I will clean up the other 3 threads and replace all of the sealing washers (on my better, spare plugs, they have done half the miles)

First I would be inclined to double check that the helicoils you've been supplied with are M10x1, you never know, those damaged plug threads are awful, and I don't like the "change in pitch" at the top of the thread (where there seems to be a "wide thread"). I don't know what the dimensions should be, sorry, but it you've actually got M10x1.25 inserts for instance, the coils will bunch together and reduce the effective pitch diameter of the hole. The technical specification will be out there somewhere.

To get helicoils out, you need to push one end of the "spring" out of its groove, towards the centre of the hole, and grab it with needle-nosed pliers, then "unwind" it. Try to avoid damaging the thread it seats in too much! As you unwind it the diameter of the coil gets smaller, so it just screws out. You should not just pull it out so it comes out like an over-stretched spring. I saw a helicoil removal tool at the garage, basically like a screwdriver with a hard "V" on the end, with the V edges sharpened to dig in when unscrewing, to push into the hole and unscrew, but just levering out an end with a pointy thing, and then winding it out works well.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No chance. I made a test peice in aluminium bar with a couple of holes. One of my tests the insert jumped, near the end and no pointy tool could get in there, or at and end to lift it. So the idea of doing that 3 inches down an inaccessable hole..

The "change of pitch" is a trick of the photo, its where the insert and galling ends, pitch is normal.

"New" plugs from 2016.
https://i.postimg.cc/BQdcXFNr/IMG-20200503-144321.jpg

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
No chance. I made a test peice in aluminium bar with a couple of holes. One of my tests the insert jumped, near the end and no pointy tool could get in there, or at and end to lift it. So the idea of doing that 3 inches down an inaccessable hole.

Well, you'll either have to try a V type tool, or get the head off, or think of something else (perhaps a stud extractor? Maybe doubtful...) or not do anything.

You can get helicoils out as described, but if you can't access the thing, no.

Tricky.

Edit: By the way, the "change of pitch" shown your previous post is where the threads seem to have been damaged by screwing into the insert. I didn't mean that sparking plugs come like that....

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

I might have a M11 x 1 tap. You could push the insert through a bit with that then hook the end possibly.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3