Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heating - airlock?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:07 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Heating - airlock? Reply with quote

Long story short:- I replaced a rubber seal in the divertor valve in my combi this requried draining the first floor rads. After I replaced the seal I filled and bled the system. Now we have 1.5 bar in the system and no air coming out any rads when I bleed it. All heat up except one not even the pipe before the TRV is stone cold. There is also gurgling when the heating starts. I'm guessing there is air in it somewhere how can I purge it?

Last edited by chris-red on 12:50 - 05 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.hydroheatplumbing.com/blog/remove-air-lock-radiator-central-heating/

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Heating - airlock? Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Long story short:- I replaced a rubber seal in the divertor valve in my combi this requried draining the first floor rads. After I replaced the seal. I filled and bled the system. Now we have 1.5 bar in the system and no air coming out any rads when I bleed it. All heat up except one not even the pipe before the TRV is stone cold. There is also gurgling when the heating starts. I'm guessing there is air in it somewhere how can I purge it?

Can you pick the house up and tip it up - so that the air escapes out of the top?

Wink

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close all the radiators on the system apart from the affected one, which will divert the whole boiler output it and hopefully clear it

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What floor is the boiler on and how did you bleed the system?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:53 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you refilled your system with water? At least one Worcester combi boiler has a sealed system that you have to refill by putting a key in and then turning on the water knob inside the boiler.

chris-red

PostPosted: 21:12 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was refilled with water. The boiler is on the ground floor. To refill it I turned on the isolators to allow filling and put 2 bar in the system. I then went round all the rads opening the bleed valves until air stopped coming out I then pressurised the system again to 2 bar and bled out more air until I went round all of them with no air escaping. I topped the system up to 1.5bar

I just tried having the heating running with all other rads off (except bathroom) and no joy I had hear gurgling from the rad but whenever I bleed it water comes out.

Gonna try turning the others on one by one to see if anything moves.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I just tried having the heating running with all other rads off (except bathroom) and no joy I had hear gurgling from the rad but whenever I bleed it water comes out.

Well turn the bathroom one off too!
If still no good, carry on with the bleeding on the affected radiator; with a bit of luck hopefully the emerging water will help shift the airlock round. Keep cranking up the pressure again, the higher it is the more likely the airlock is to move.

Are there any drain cocks anywhere on the heating system downstairs? Something like:

https://kingfisher.scene7.com/is/image/Kingfisher/0665628027046_01c

or

https://dnwgit7zg7mqr.cloudfront.net/images/141020-UK/800/40214.jpg

If so, you could try draining off large quantities of water from there as you refill the system. Keep all rads except the affected one closed. If you have a hosepipe you could even try connecting it to the drain cock (using a jubilee clip) and blasting in water in the reverse direction - but don't blame me if you flood the house!

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris , does the offending rad have a thermostat on it ?

If so take the top of and wiggle the pin and give it a tap , don't go to mad .

I take it it worked before the system was drained. ?

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:30 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebbs73 wrote:
Chris , does the offending rad have a thermostat on it ?

If so take the top of and wiggle the pin and give it a tap , don't go to mad .

I take it it worked before the system was drained. ?

I had done that before no joy What did fix it was opening up the other side fully. I think this one is close to the boiler and it isn't a big rad. The main valve was set low when I balanced them. Opening it up fully cleared it, lots of gurgling and a surprisingly small amount of air bled and it warms up now. Thanks all.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Close all the radiators on the system apart from the affected one, which will divert the whole boiler output it and hopefully clear it

Were you TLDR?

Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1