Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking for tips on spraying ZX6R tank

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ukelele211
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:25 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Looking for tips on spraying ZX6R tank Reply with quote

Hello, I need some help spraying my tank on zx6r (2008, standard kawasaki lime green). Has anyone here done this job, and can give me advice where to get matching paint, and what primer I should use for the job? I have a dent in my tank, which I will be pulling, filling in, and then spraying.

Do I need to use base paint, paint + laquer for this, or can I just use those "kawasaki lime green" paint rattle cans that are found on ebay?

Cheers.

Pic of the dent: https://i.imgur.com/51E8BLj.jpg

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips on spraying ZX6R tank Reply with quote

Ukelele211 wrote:
Hello, I need some help spraying my tank on zx6r (2008, standard kawasaki lime green). Has anyone here done this job, and can give me advice where to get matching paint, and what primer I should use for the job? I have a dent in my tank, which I will be pulling, filling in, and then spraying.

Do I need to use base paint, paint + laquer for this, or can I just use those "kawasaki lime green" paint rattle cans that are found on ebay?

Cheers.

Pic of the dent: https://i.imgur.com/51E8BLj.jpg

I'm no expert but.... no, no... come back. The problem is blending the repaired area invisibily into the surrounding area. I believe the experts try to extend the work to a panel line or body angle which will help hide the join. That ding is very close to the Kawasaki decal too.

Kawasaki's officially approved European suppliers are www.rsbikepaint.com but it won't be cheap. Halfords offered paint-matching for motorcycles (tell them the model and year and they'd mix the paint) but I think they were pulling out of that game.

When I wanted my wheels, swing arm and pillion peg brackets painted I had them shot-blasted and etch-primed locally but they couldn't affordably match the colours with powder-coat so I bought 2-pack paint and lacquer from RS with the intention of doing it myself. I quickly realised I didnt have the tools, environment or skills to do a good job so I took them to a small, local but well-respected car body shop. Turned out nice. That was a full respray though.

Anyway, have a go but prepare for disappointment. Then get it professionally done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips on spraying ZX6R tank Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
[

Anyway, have a go but prepare for disappointment. Then get it professionally done.

This.. If by chance or perseverance you get a decent finish with rattle cans it won't be long-lasting or fuel proof. Saying that you can get 2k lacquer in a rattle can I think but it's expensive..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you going to be pulling it, pin puller or some sort of miracle pulling system?

Either way, you will need to be emptying and completely purging the tank of any vapour, unless you want it exploding.

The original finish is clear over base and you will struggle to achieve that level of finish with rattle cans - can be done, but it's far from easy.

Also, as mentioned, you won't save the decal and that's buried under the lacquer, so you will be stripping the whole of that side of the tank, so you might as well paint the whole thing, because getting a side to side match will be almost impossible.

Call Dream Machine and get on with your life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve not found a rattle can petrol proof lacquer that’s anything of the sort and I’m fucked if I’m spraying 2k from an aerosol as I found several anecdotes about people ending up with health issues after doing it just once without the proper gear.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 23:41 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the dent is pulled properly you won't need any filler. Are there any holes for the sender unit etc in the bottom of the tank close to where the dent is?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, if you want a perfect match colour, go to a paint shop (any would do) and show them what you want to paint, ride the bike there. They will mix you the perfect matching colour, including the aging, so it looks exactly like what you've got on the rest of the bike. It's not expensive, don't bother with colour codes, as those are for brand new bikes = the paint yet not ruined by UV light.

I needed some paint for my 22 years old car, drove there. The lad went out, put some things on the car, checked the colour, a mixed me a perfect match. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. IF I decided to just tell him the colour code, the end result wouldn't look right, as the rest of the car has 22 years of sun and abuse in the paint. Thumbs Up

EDIT: The easiest way would be buying a used tank from ebay and selling the old one OR use it to learn fixing paint job.

Or, if you want it perfect, just let the professionals do it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1