Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha Nikken ...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Yamaha Nikken ... Reply with quote

Well, I'm all for something different, but, I have to say, I'm ot so sure about this !!

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/niken/niken.aspx?view=featurestechspecs

https://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/product_assets/2018/MXT850/950-75/2018-Yamaha-MXT850-EU-Graphite-Studio-001.jpg

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:13 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

263kg wet Shocked

That's best part of 100kg of bolt on stuff weighing the bike down over what a normal one weighs.
I'd have liked to see a power increase to help lug the extra weight.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s fooking ugly to start with and giving it an extra wheel makes it twice as ugly.
Why oh why do all new bikes have to look like something found in the scrap heap from the Transformers movie/film.? Puke Sick Puke

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly as sin Puke

I just cannot see a market for them. It's too difficult for a lot of disabled people to get on I would think (unlike the low CanAm.)

It's too big for the Piaggio market and also, if you are that proficient that you have passed all your tests and got a big bike license, just why would you?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Why oh why do all new bikes have to look like something found in the scrap heap from the Transformers movie/film.? Puke Sick Puke
My MT09 doesn't look like that... Whistle

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
263kg wet Shocked

That's best part of 100kg of bolt on stuff weighing the bike down over what a normal one weighs.

It's almost identical in weight to Kawasaki's new H2 SX Sports Tourer. I'm not sure if this fact makes this look light or the Kwaka look unnecessarily heavy Eh?

At least the H2 has ~200bhp, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=322382 Police

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:13 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
263kg wet Shocked

It's not that Heavy, it is the same weight as a MP3 500.Where are you getting 100kg more from? It's 50kg more than the Tracer.

I think it looks interesting. I'd love a go, I imagine it will handle well especially on shitty roads. The only thing that'd stop me getting one would be the price. I'm probably going buy a tracer in the next 18 months. They are about 9k new this will probably be closer to £15k.

TBH I'm just pleased a manufacturer is making something interesting. Aside from electronic aids, bikes have barely moved forward in 15 years IMO. Other than the H2 has there been anything really different or interesting?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
grr666 wrote:
263kg wet Shocked

It's not that Heavy, it is the same weight as a MP3 500.Where are you getting 100kg more from? It's 50kg more than the Tracer.

A standard MT-09's meant to be 188kg (I assume without ABS). That's heavy, I knew someone with a Piaggio MP3 who underestimated just how lardy they were, and dropped it a couple of times before getting rid.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched 'Bikeworld' on the tellybox earlier this week, in which they reviewed the recent Motorcycle Live show at Birmingham, and included a piece on the 3-wheeled Yamaha Niken, with an interview of Yamahas UK's Marketing Manager. Was quite interested as I'd seen this weird beast myself at the show.

The guy explained the concept as being all about increasing front-end grip, and that it's definitely not a 'trike' as such, as it will still fall over at a standstill just like a conventional bike. The full interview is on YouTube if anyone's interested.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said best part of 100kg heavier. Exact weight difference is 75kg, which is 3/4 or the best part of 100kg.
Have you seen one in the metal? I have, it's huge and VERY wide, the body is almost as wide as its handlebars.
Not that the publicity pics demonstrate that, it's been shot quite flatteringly. I never said it wouldn't be fun,
I never said it wasn't different, but with an extra 75kg (happy now?) over a standard MT09, I'd like to have seen a
bit more power to help carry the weight, I'd like to see it vs a standard MT09 in a drag race. I expect the cheaper, lighter
bike would trounce it. The bodywork is hiding some ugly ass mechanicals too.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
The guy explained the concept as being all about increasing front-end grip, and that it's definitely not a 'trike' as such, as it will still fall over at a standstill just like a conventional bike. The full interview is on YouTube if anyone's interested.

So you'll just end up with a very heavy bike. I believe the MP3s have a floppy dick mode and a don't let me fall over setting.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck doing the fork seals on that

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 15:46 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the bus is getting reasonably good reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of8k9_1lXe4

Im reserving judgement till ive ridden it but hats off to Yamaha for have a gamble with something out of the box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment they are the most innovative of the big manufacturers.

Honda is turning out boring dross. Kawasakis offerings are meh and Suzuki hasn't put anything new out for years. Triumph has gone into hipster mode. BMW aren't being exciting.

Bikes are not progressing as they used to.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:31 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Bikes are not progressing as they used to.

Rocket bikes anyone? Very Happy

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
... Kawasakis offerings are meh

Superchargers?!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see if the extra front-end grip negates the weight increase. The seating position might be an issue, with some big Yamaha's (such as the XJR1200) you already need arms like stretch armstrong.

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£13,499.00 price tag

I doubt many dealers will be allowed to offer the bike. I am guessing they will need to be a premier dealer. I will certainly be giving one a go, not because I have any interest in buying on but the curiosity of seeing how it feels Cool

Hokum
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:02 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue I see with this, is the market. The Piaggio MP3 and Peugeot what ever its called, can be ridden by car licence people, making it a smaller and "city friendly" car alternative.

The Niken, needs a motorcycle licence, so only people used to 2 wheels can ride it. So apart from the extra grip you lose from the extra weight. I'd rather have a nice cheaper bike, than the more expansive trike...

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few bikes look worse on the back wheel i find but this monstrosity does... Sick

https://scontent-ort2-2.cdninstagram.com/vp/303008d83d006e09ac4d55c88cf17614/5BAF9306/t51.2885-15/e35/34534596_244681612947330_8626533107840843776_n.jpg
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great publicity for Yamaha and probably softening up the market for a leaning four wheeler like they punted as a concept a few years ago.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you do a single side front fork set up like this has on a normal 2 wheel machine?

I know there isn't really any point but it appeals to my inner idiot. Thumbs Up

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can

Nik from BSH had/has a b6 with a gsxr lump and single sided front and rear end it it. looked very trick and still handled well.

cant find any pictures of it at the moment.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:31 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a review I watched it seems the Nikon doesn't need 4 forks, two of them are to prevent the wheels from twisting, the biggest issue with a front single sided fork is where to mount the other calliper if you needed two disc brakes, although I have seen this limitation overcome by a single rim mounted disc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2