Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend me a grease gun

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Recommend me a grease gun Reply with quote

Looking for a manual grease gun, nothing too big and relatively cheap if possible, had enough of getting covered in grease every time i need to use the stuff.
TIA.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have nothing to add to this.
i own nothing with a grease nipple.
about 30 years ago i was working with diggers and we used an air powered gun but it was cartridge fed.
manual you are going to be spooning it into the gun.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:
i have nothing to add to this.
i own nothing with a grease nipple.
about 30 years ago i was working with diggers and we used an air powered gun but it was cartridge fed.
manual you are going to be spooning it into the gun.

Agree, how much grease are you applying to a bike and how often/where.
For industrial and farm machines you must have a grease gun as most machinery has a few points need doing through nipples daily.
Most now use cartridges, we have a Fuchs system.
Cartridges are inexpensive and hold maybe a litre so quite large.
I seem to recall small grease guns which forced it out through a pointy nozzle, not very reliably. You'd have to fill this with a spatula extremely messy and tedious.
Better to apply with brush or finger then wipe off on paper towel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for working on cars and occasionally bicycles, don't need a grease nipple type just something small and accurate.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikeless wrote:
It's for working on cars and occasionally bicycles, don't need a grease nipple type just something small and accurate.

You are better off with a tin of grease like a LM2 and brush, but others you can get in a can, like Lithium, or copper grease in small tube, and direct application.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shell Gadus, and a brush.

Job done.

https://www.metalworkingfluids.net/shell-gadus-s2-v220-2.html

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grease guns are good. I like grease guns Embarassed

Specifically this type -

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSw9b0AQtA13yo9cTyQ3N9x8T0wxL2ecf1A8y-NraTSJ_NYT-5PCw

Can use with one hand.

However if you want to keep your hands lovely and clean and grease free, get a full size one that you can use cartridges in, so bloody easy Thumbs Up

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never bother with them tbh, anything that needs a dollop of grease usually needs a good fingering anyway.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used one like Polar showed on trailer bearings. Worked well.

I'm now trying to remember where it is. Must be with the trailer.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:49 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikeless wrote:

Are you exclusively working on cars more than 50 years old?

We work on quite a few of those and I can't remember where our grease gun is - why do you need one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally use an aerosol can with grease in but that was white grease so not what you really want

otherwise its a dollop on the finger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/manual-grease-guns/1347614/

Get a cartridge, take off both ends, put it in, off you go.

You'll still get grease everywhere because you'll want to store it with the handle down, but every time it moves the handle will open.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: grease gun Reply with quote

:D perhaps I'm toooooooo old school, but I actually fit grease nipples to my bikes !

As to filling one, mine has the spring loaded pull out rod just like in the picture above with POLAR BEAR,. but is a larger one for cars etc..

When the gun runs out, I clean the pump head end and unscrew from the body.

I buy the smallish tins ( too expensive now wilco, too expensive !!! ) with the plastic plate inside.

I place the tin on the floor and place the gun open end centrally over the tins plastic plate hole. I "pull" on the guns "rod" whilst pushing down with the pump body.

The grease tins plate is forced down and the guns grease camber "volume" goes up, because the rod and piston are being pulled up.

Grease is pushed into the now increasing guns grease chamber volume.

The rod is sprung loaded with an auto lock feature, meaning the grease is not pushed out via the spring loading.

I have performed this "stunt" in front of amazed customers, selling a new greased gun and several tins of new grease.

Its clean and easy when you know how. :D :D :D

For small greaseing, I have an alternative end rather than the standard nipple end. I made a suitable new end to screw onto the grease "tube", with a small diameter hole drilled thru it and a ground taper, or needle like. :karma:

PS waste grease can be rubbed onto car under body, bike etc.......an oily/greasy rag service.........use a rubber ring ( old inner tube, remember what they are like !! ? ) to lock gun handle in place during storage. getting empty cartridges out ( and fitting new ones in ) can be real fun eh ! :D

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cars i work on are modern, as i stated in the original post, it's about not getting covered in grease more than anything, not about greasing nipples. I'm currently using a brush as advised by you lot, which is better, until i can find a suitable alternative. Thumbs Up

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: grease Reply with quote

cool, try the rod and plate method, that's why the plate is there.... :karma:

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://historynet.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/grease-gun-nnew.jpg

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a small grease gun one to look out for is Wanner. I bought one from a boot fair for a few quid. Simple, long lasting and can deliver very high pressure.

BTW you don't need to use a spoon to fill a non-cartridge grease gun. Stick the end in the grease and pull on the t-handle whilst slowly advancing the tube into the grease tin so it doesn't suck air as the level of the grease drops in the tin. You'll have to wipe over the outside but it fills the gun quickly with little to no air trapped.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
For a small grease gun one to look out for is Wanner. I bought one from a boot fair for a few quid. Simple, long lasting and can deliver very high pressure.

BTW you don't need to use a spoon to fill a non-cartridge grease gun. Stick the end in the grease and pull on the t-handle whilst slowly advancing the tube into the grease tin so it doesn't suck air as the level of the grease drops in the tin. You'll have to wipe over the outside but it fills the gun quickly with little to no air trapped.

Not everyone has 25 litre tubs of grease Pete Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Not everyone has 25 litre tubs of grease Pete Laughing

Nor do I. My Wanner grease gun held about 250ml.

Here's a new one. Mine was larger and had an older style to it.

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/grease-guns/30955-120cc-one-hand-gunfor-grease/p/CTL5404512N?utm_campaign=pla+-+&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping-pla&utm_keyword=CTL5404512N&istCompanyId=6aa6787b-063e-4414-802d-129f235df603&istItemId=aqrxxqqxa&istBid=tztx

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have one, I try to avoid getting dirt in a tub of grease and contaminating it. A small tub lasts me a very long time.

I had a box of 50 syringes, 60ml, Couple of them are now filled with grease. It works, minimum mess.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1