Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV Show Box Sets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:27 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'm unqualified to comment

It's great, bailing early in season 3 was one of many errors in your Black Sails journey.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:01 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
M.C wrote:
I'm unqualified to comment

It's great, bailing early in season 3 was one of many errors in your Black Sails journey.

Laughing I think I gave it long enough. A few people tried it (I remember the Borg did) and I don't think anyone took to it.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

black beard from the bbc was a half decent pirate programme if I remember
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:11 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passim:
Rogerborg wrote:
BCF wrote:
Blick Silz

6 3/4 hours in. You know, it's not the fact that much of the cast is Septics, Saffers or Convict Islanders. It's not that Waifly McRada is the least convincing tough chick since Keira Knightley declared with a straight face that she was a Bownty Huntah. It's not even the grating vocabularic anachronisms, or the lazy, contrived plotting that turns every conflict into a Batman-growling face-off that's ever-so-conveniently broken up with the distraction of an external threat.

It's not even this. Not even this.

https://i.imgur.com/YtNDPuw.png

No, it's this line:

"thirty six hours before cast off."

Hours? What about tides? You're a sailor, are you, and not only are you faffing around on shore sticking to some fantasy idealised schedule (or skedule, as almost of the cast insist on Americanising), but you can't even think and talk in terms of tides?

No, that's too far. I cannot suspend my disbelief. It's a cutlass in the gizzard to anyone who cares, with no benefit of plot clarity to anyone who doesn't. That can't be excused by budget, or by screenwriting - it saves a couple of syllables.

Your piratical is bad, and you should feel bad.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I don't think anyone took to it.

It gets 8.3 on IMDB, that's proof enough to me that it's a decent show worth watching.

Borg gets pissed off with tidal timings, being that anal is always going to cause concern in a fictional show based on a fictional book.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:13 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
It gets 8.3 on IMDB, that's proof enough to me that it's a decent show worth watching.

And Britain's Got X Factor Takeway is top quality programming by that metric.

Pjay wrote:
Borg gets pissed off with tidal timings, being that anal is always going to cause concern in a fictional show based on a fictional book.

About pirates.

I'm hacked off because it was such an egregious, unnecessary, lazy, contemptuous clanger that shows whomever wrote that script had no interest in the subject matter.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
And Britain's Got X Factor Takeway is top quality programming by that metric.

If you are interested in that genre, then yes, it probably is.

People can like things immensely that you dont.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:49 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but those people are wrong.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just started Under the Dome, it's all right.

Got bogged down in series 2 of Mister Robot, don't know if I'm going to carry on with it.

Got Fear the Walking Dead to go back to, but lost interest early on in series 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:13 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punisher picks up a bit from episode 4 on, I should mention. Not great, but less fast-forwardy.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:56 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Got bogged down in series 2 of Mister Robot, don't know if I'm going to carry on with it.

It's awful. Thankfully series 3 goes back to what the original series was like, although the last (current) episode was weird.

thx1138 wrote:
Got Fear the Walking Dead to go back to, but lost interest early on in series 2.

That's on the boat right? Series 3 turns into a proper Walking Dead franchise, as in their budget seems to be massively increased.

Speaking of TWD, Season 8's tiresome. You would have thought people constantly going at it, rather than talking about how hard it's (emotionally) to kill zombies would be good, but its not. The only episode I liked was the one with (lots of) Negan. When they finally (I assume) kill him off the show's f**ked.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 19:53 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Vain would have your heads if he heard you bad mouthing the black like this. Treason.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pretty boy? I could take him.

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:54 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve just started watching the Western series Godless on Netflix - it’s excellent Thumbs Up And I thought Jeff Daniels only played good guys Shocked

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started watching Daredevil from the start (like a normal person) and I'm actually quite enjoying it Shifty I'm starting to lose track of the Netflix/Marvel subscription universe though, does it go:

The Incident (somehow relevant)
- Daredevil**
- Jessica Jones*
- Dare Devil Season 2**
- Luke Cage*
- Iron Fist**
- The Defenders*
- The Punisher*

*seen **partially seen

So Luke Cage's fling was originally Daredevils, and that little Chinese alien lady (from Iron Fist/The Defenders) is in Daredevil but no one knows (yet) she's a magical alien lady? Eh? Do Netflix have actors on retainer or something?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 04:16 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC are going to release Blue Planet 2 in 4K on iPlayer immediately after the last episode has aired on Sunday (I think it's Sunday).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/planet_earth_4k

Noice.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:47 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Do Netflix have actors on retainer or something?

I think they just hire a dumper truck full of Z listers, then grab whatever scrabbles to the top. Sometimes it works (Jessica Jones), sometimes they hipster-fail (Iron Fist).

Punisher done, it was idiomatic enough. Jaime Ray Newman is very MILFy-next-door - and a far better actress than little Miss Appropriation - so there's that.

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Give up with under the dome...lots honestly the biggest pile of AIDS I ever let myself get drawn into....you want to keep watching to find out what happens, but it just gets worse and worse and the pay off is 100% not worth it.

You have been warned!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:41 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
BBC are going to release Blue Planet 2 in 4K on iPlayer immediately after the last episode has aired on Sunday (I think it's Sunday).

Noice.

*smug*

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:13 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelGrinder wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

Give up with under the dome...lots honestly the biggest pile of AIDS I ever let myself get drawn into....you want to keep watching to find out what happens, but it just gets worse and worse and the pay off is 100% not worth it.

You have been warned!

Sounds like everything from Lost to Prison Break to the Wanking Dead.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:40 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Sounds like everything from Lost to Prison Break to the Wanking Dead.

I agree except WD know how to play their audience, they push the boring shite for as long as they can then blam throw in a good episode. Series 2 being the exception, where only the final episode was worth watching (I think most people gave up by then).

And I'd add Westworld to that list.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:

Noice.

Watched a couple of episodes (in peasant HD). Is it bad I find the bit at the end (about how they filmed it) more interesting?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:01 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to Black Mirror. It's like a concentrated stock cube of glorious flavours: I can only nibble on it in small doses.

It's rare to find something that's so carefully written, cast, acted, shot, scored and paced that it gives emotion time to bubble up from your gut rather than forcing faux superficiality down your throat.

But S3 E1, Nosedive, had me smiling, cringing and then crying getting dust in my eye in a money shot of raw visceral joy. Would ☆☆☆☆☆ again.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 18:05 - 14 Dec 2017; edited 2 times in total

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Back to Black Mirror. It's like a concentrated stock cube of glorious flavours: I can only nibble on it in small doses.

It's rare to find something that's so carefully written, cast, acted, shot, scored and paced that it actually generates real emotion, but S3 E1, Nosedive, had me smiling, cringing and then crying getting dust in my eye in a money shot of raw visceral joy. Would ☆☆☆☆☆ again.

you definitely need time to digest them, no binging this for me

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:10 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Netflix tried to fling me straight onto the next one, but I'd like a little time to savour what they've just served up. I'll need a palate cleanser, something bland with perhaps just a hint of Vin Diesel.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 22 of 62