Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Console for playing ps1/2 games

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Console for playing ps1/2 games Reply with quote

Hi All,

I want a console for playing old gran turismo games but my ps2 went years back and I've not had a console since then. I've managed to get pcsx2 working for some things, but it never copes with gt4 no matter how much I mess with the configuration.

So the question is do I buy an old ps2 slim, and an hdmi adaptor. Or do I buy a backwards compatible ps3?

The price is remarkably similar (£20 or so different) but I know the ps3 had some issues with overheating or something, whereas the ps2 seemed pretty bullet proof?

What do you think?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the old (backwards compatible) PS3 and yes they had a high failure rate, not that Sony acknowledged this like MS did with the 360 Rolling Eyes

It was a fairly epic console though, being my first Sony it was cool being able to play PS2 games, although the fan was f'ing loud, when it kicked in watching a blu-ray you might as well turn the thing off.

I'd personally go for the PS3 but I was never a fan of the PS2, it struggled with games even in 2002. Just another idea, maybe have a look at the PS3 hacking side. AFAIK the slim consoles could emulate PS2 games, they released some: https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/grid/STORE-MSF75508-DISCOVERPS2ONPS3/1

I lost interest in the modding scene even though both my phat and slim PS3 were 'hacked' at some point. From what I remember you can only soft mod up to a certain firmware (3.55?), beyond that you need a hardware solution.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a PC, just use an emulator? PS1 emulation is spot on, PS2 can be a bit iffy depending on the game. Plus side, the polygons can render natively so no horrifically pixelated edges like you'll get if you try and run a ps2 on a HD tv

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PS2 is the more sensible choice here. There were not many PS3 consoles capable of the PS2 backwards compatibility, plus most of them are dead now. My mate had one and it died long ago.

I googled around and found this, for £7. Thinking

EDIT: How does it work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsnvZJNPKf4

https://www.dx.com/cs/p/bstuo-ps2-to-hdmi-converter-adapter-475457?tc=GBP&ta=cz&gclid=cjwkcaia3o7rbrbfeiwazmtscaswwztexpfxvyik9smbqdzw5jzbsv205d5pgeethecxdqrf61mghbocudsqavd_bwe#.WiR_FFXiZhE

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 23:53 - 03 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original 60gb 4 usb port backward compatible PS3.
Was considering having it resoldered and having the hard drive upped to a bigger one as its a bit YLOD at the mo.
It also still has my Wu Tang Clan Killa Beez 'The Swarm' CD trapped inside which would be nice to retrieve.

Also just found this - Wu Tang name generator

I'm 'Midnight Desperado' apparently. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:28 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I have an original 60gb 4 usb port backward compatible PS3.
Was considering having it resoldered and having the hard drive upped to a bigger one as its a bit YLOD at the mo.
It also still has my Wu Tang Clan Killa Beez 'The Swarm' CD trapped inside which would be nice to retrieve.

Also just found this - Wu Tang name generator

I'm 'Midnight Desperado' apparently. Laughing

It's accurate:
https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/15/13/82/47/wutang10.png

AFAIK it was mobo failures (like with the early 360s), you can do a heat reflow as a temporary solution but they're basically f**ked. MS replaced my 360 mobo out of warranty as they did a pals.

Sometimes the console will partially eject the disc when you turn it on and you can retrieve it. Mine ate PES 2009, as it was the last one I remember liking I recently bought another copy from Amazon warehouse, 44p including next day delivery Smile

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have to be HDMI? For the later PS2 games they released a HD component lead (the five pin type) and that's what I use.

I re-purchased the console last year and got a right deal. It came with a hard drive and network adapter, which I'd never even seen before. I got excited, then found out they've taken the servers offline about six weeks earlier.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my TV doesn't have component. I could get a converter from component to hdmi, but they do a ps2 to hdmi which would make more sense.

I think I'm sold on the ps3 option. Just need to find the right deal!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:32 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just run my ps, PS2 and PS3 into hdmi. More reliable than a shitty old backwards compatible ps3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:11 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I just run my ps, PS2 and PS3 into hdmi. More reliable than a shitty old backwards compatible ps3

What do you use? I got an reasonably expensive RGB SCART - HDMI convertor, and the quality is gash.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

What do you use? I got an reasonably expensive RGB SCART - HDMI convertor, and the quality is gash.

Go for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsnvZJNPKf4 it's 7 ponds.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:37 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

I need scart to HDMI, I have 8 consoles wired up with SCART switchers. The SCART to HDMI is to record them. (I can select a second recording output on the Switcher)

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to try one of these:

https://www.fonetip.cz/files/_640x480/adapter-pro-samsung-tv-scart-spojka-zastrcka.k986839.jpg

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:24 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Thats a SCART adaptor for a Samsung TV, it has nothing to do with getting an RGB SCART signal to appear correctly on a HDMI capture box.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't now if this list will help the OP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_alternate_display_modes

Interestingly GT4/Tourist trophy were one of the few games to support 1080i, something I never actually knew until a little while ago.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:30 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112423383400

It'll not be great quality, nothing you can do will make a PS1/2 look better these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:22 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Interestingly GT4/Tourist trophy were one of the few games to support 1080i, something I never actually knew until a little while ago.

Not on the PAL release they don't. I don't think we got anything 1080i

You need a Chipped PS2 and a US copy of GT4. I thought it looked shite to be honest, 480p looked much better. What I found most interesting was that SCART can carry a 1080i signal.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
M.C wrote:

Not on the PAL release they don't. I don't think we got anything 1080i

You need a Chipped PS2 and a US copy of GT4. I thought it looked shite to be honest, 480p looked much better. What I found most interesting was that SCART can carry a 1080i signal.

Yeah there are a lot of notes for that list Razz Looks like maybe NHL 2004 unless that's an error.

That was the fun thing about softmodding my original Xbox, getting to play games that were never released in our region. Although even when I did that (late 2000s iirc) games were looking shoddy, I can't imagine what the contrast would be now. Even going back to PS3/360 games can be a bit...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1