BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki Z900.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much more can you realistically expect a road motorcycle to do? H2 is the motorcycling equivalent of Concorde.
Why would anybody want to go faster? Is 200+ odd mph not enough? Most bikes (mine included) can out perform
their riders truth be told, so is it really just about bragging rights? I can't see another place to 'take' bikes without adding
wings or more wheels or some shite like that which will stop it being a motorcycle anyway. We all moan about the nanny
state tech that's been developed over recent years, ABS, TCS, anti wheelie, emissions control and linked brakes etc,
and how they add weight and reduce power and take control away from the rider.

I honestly think that smashing the 200 mph threshold as a minimum standard for 'fast' bikes is quite pointless.
Most owners don't ride well enough to cope with that anyway, bikes that could comfortably do that would be cost prohibitive
and besides, 110mph can get you jail time (if you happen to be caught doing that on 2 wheels, whereas similar offences
in cars would likely see a ban imposed at worst) so 200+?? They would probably have you extradited to the US for
a lethal injection. I'm of the mindset that once you've reached the horizon and there's nothing more ahead of you, the only
place you can look is backward and see if you can re-imagine a new way to do an old thing.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
How much more can you realistically expect a road motorcycle to do? H2 is the motorcycling equivalent of Concorde.
Why would anybody want to go faster? Is 200+ odd mph not enough? Most bikes (mine included) can out perform
their riders truth be told, so is it really just about bragging rights? I can't see another place to 'take' bikes without adding
wings or more wheels or some shite like that which will stop it being a motorcycle anyway. We all moan about the nanny
state tech that's been developed over recent years, ABS, TCS, anti wheelie, emissions control and linked brakes etc,
and how they add weight and reduce power and take control away from the rider.

I honestly think that smashing the 200 mph threshold as a minimum standard for 'fast' bikes is quite pointless.
Most owners don't ride well enough to cope with that anyway, bikes that could comfortably do that would be cost prohibitive
and besides, 110mph can get you jail time (if you happen to be caught doing that on 2 wheels, whereas similar offences
in cars would likely see a ban imposed at worst) so 200+?? They would probably have you extradited to the US for
a lethal injection. I'm of the mindset that once you've reached the horizon and there's nothing more ahead of you, the only
place you can look is backward and see if you can re-imagine a new way to do an old thing.

Confused

Have you posted in the wrong thread?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all, I thought the discussion had shifted round to discussing (Lack of) innovation on newly designed motorcycles
and my (as usual) slightly laboured point was that we have pretty much run as far as we can with that ball IMO.
All they are developing now is ways to make bikes uglier, slower, heavier and safer. Nobody is trying to make race
bikes for the road anymore and do so by making them faster, more agile and lighter because that's #dangerouse and bad for the #environmente.

I'd buy a Z900 by the way but balls to that 70's space helmet headlamp cowl I've seen on some of them.
It has to be naked and black. I could find myself in a position where I can buy hugely reduced brand new Kawasakis
come next year, so may go test one out and see how it stacks up to the Spacker.

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/636333/1000x750/Kawasaki_Z900RS_017.jpg

https://cdn.blessthisstuff.com/imagens/stuff/kawasaki_z900rs_cafe-3.jpghttps://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr06/2013/6/20/13/enhanced-buzz-orig-20531-1371751130-23.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Imagine giving a new rider a brand new scalpel bike like an RGV 250 today. It's twitchy, fussy, smelly and needs loads of attention. Its also shit to ride unless your concentration is high and your on it. They would just say 'Nahh this bike is shit bruv'.

That is so true. I was brought up on manic 2 strokes but I bet now if I was put on one I would have to completely re evaluate how I ride. Having a big, powerful bike with every rider aid going makes you a very lazy rider.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty positive review from MCN
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/kawasaki/z900rs/2017/

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

a positive review? in MCN??

Mr. Green

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:16 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the bike. I think it works better with a pinstripe on the tail and i am not a fan of inline 4 engines.

I get the bit about the side panels but didn’t notice it till it got mentioned. Doh

However its expensive compared to a xsr 900 and of a cheaper street triple. I am not sure how it compares to a Bonny or equivalent, I suspect it’s on the ball park.

I may take a test ride and see what deals there are in the summer, but while it has no single stand out feature it’s just pretty to look at.

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:19 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the bike. I think it works better with a pinstripe on the tail and i am not a fan of inline 4 engines.

I get the bit about the side panels but didn’t notice it till it got mentioned. Doh

However its expensive compared to a xsr 900 and of a cheaper street triple. I am not sure how it compares to a Bonny or equivalent, I suspect it’s on the ball park.

I may take a test ride and see what deals there are in the summer, but while it has no single stand out feature it’s just pretty to look at.

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:34 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I like it.

Not as Transformer-ish as a lot of bikes these days.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it... I don't think the retro bikes are like the bini and beetle shambles.

they just look like bikes are supposed to.

didn't the alien faced ones come about from the phase everyone went through with universal fit ebay tat during the streetfighter craze a few years back?

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 00:00 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity they didn't offer the green/yellow lemon drop color scheme alongside the Jaffa instead of the black '78 Z1000-A2 scheme...

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

like, but

heavy, underpowered, low residual value on PCP

and they'll be selling them cheap with interest free credit next september
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3