Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Quick bit of Advice for winter fill ups. (Frozen locks)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:02 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Quick bit of Advice for winter fill ups. (Frozen locks) Reply with quote

I know most of you know/could work this out, but it may help someone.

Today I needed to fill up, the lock on my petrol cap was Frozen. I couldn't get the key in.

I went in the garage and bought a lighter, heated my key and used it to melt the ice. I had to heat it 4 times before it melted all the ice. I know this is pretty obvious, but If you are cold and in a bit of a flap it might not occur to you.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a hair dryer on an extension lead before.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
I've used a hair dryer on an extension lead before.

How far away is the petrol station from your house Wink

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I had the same problem and thought the best way forward was to breathe hot air over the offending lock.

Ended up with my lower lip firmly stuck to the lock, which made me feel pretty bloody stupid and a very sore ice burn Embarassed

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:32 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally frozen in at home - Gate, shed, and ignition so:

kawakid wrote:
a hair dryer on an extension lead..
Did that yesterday Smile

Then, I had a revelation last night and:
chris-red wrote:
..heated my key and used it to melt the ice

Did that today Laughing

Thumbs Up

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Quick bit of Advice for winter fill ups. (Frozen locks) Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
If you are cold and in a bit of a flap it might not occur to you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=myIbWvpPxu0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? Do none of you not squirt some oil into your locks???

My can of chain lube has one of those little straws that come with aerosols.
A few squirts of that in the lock and never had a problem yet Shifty

The oil seems to repel the water to some extent, I think?
Hey it’s worked for me Thumbs Up

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used De-icer in my ignition and on the starter switch and indicator switch a few times now.

t'other day my tank was completely iced over, thankfully by the time I'd got to the petrol station it had melted enough to push the ice off by hand and get to the filler cap.

not bothered with the bike today or yesterday, mainly the thought of how cold on the motorway and the wife being worried.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:12 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one of these a few years ago.
Word of advice DO NOT touch the blade once you have slid it out, its bloody hot
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lock-icer-Works-Great-Padlocks/dp/B005JZREGE

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
Another way is to piss in the offending lock if you don't have a lighter handy. I did this with my Varadero and it works simply stand up on the pegs whack your cock out and piss all over the ignition barrel.

If it's cold enough to freeze the barrel, I'm gonna have a hell of a job finding the old chap under my layers.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcePal...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:50 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blutac over the lock. Fixedddd
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do use hot water to release a lock, spray some oil (preferably something that evaporates if you subscribe to graphite lubrication for locks) in directly afterwards to displace the water, or it'll freeze again, potentially even worse.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
If you do use hot water to release a lock, spray some oil (preferably something that evaporates if you subscribe to graphite lubrication for locks) in directly afterwards to displace the water, or it'll freeze again, potentially even worse.

Hot water method caught me out my first year of biking, it re-froze at the petrol station.

Bought some de-icer to resolve it

this leaked in my top-box making my work-shirt pink.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't get my key out of the ignition after the commute one morning!

Had to leave it in the ignition, removed the remaining keys and chained it up so I could get some boiling water from the canteen to unfreeze it.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:

Should have pissed on it.

new fetish or an adaptation of the childish "I licked it so it's mine"?

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep mine in the warm garage so it never really freezes...

even before then i cant really think of a time its frozen... probably the oil i shove down my key hole

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had it happen and I don't take preventative measures Neutral

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:15 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Quick bit of Advice for winter fill ups. (Frozen locks) Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Today I needed to fill up, the lock on my petrol cap was Frozen. I couldn't get the key in.

I went in the garage and bought a lighter, heated my key and used it to melt the ice. I had to heat it 4 times before it melted all the ice.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

So... lets get this straight....... you were in a PETROL station.... big signs about not smoking, not using mobile phones etc all hung around....

Standing, peering at a PETROL tank, with a filler cap that didn't want to open for you......

And your 'solution' to that little niggle, was to go get a stick of dynamite.... sorry stick-lighter.... at the kiosk......

Then, one assumes, standing next to the PETROL pump, next to and over your PETROL tank....

ignite the lighter!!!!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This does NOT sound like the start of a bit of helpful motocycle 'advice' so much as the beginning of a Darwin-Award entry!!!!!

I have done some DAFT things in my time, I will say... extinguishing fags in jam jars or petrol, shooting tin oil cans full of petrol with a shot-gun, etc 'just' to see if what they show in action movies really could happen... and being reasonably 'blase' about good work-shop practice, as prescribed by the safety nazis... but still!!!

I will confess, that as a solution to a frozen petrol cap lock, the idea may have occured to me... though resting key on a cylinder fin or rocker cover and using gentler engine heat less likely to melt the plastic tang of key, on set it on fire, would have probably been my first course... and if I absolutely had to use a naked flame, the lighter in my pocket with m fags would have saved me buying one for the job... somewhere preferably well away from petrol pumps!

If not for fear of Bullet type scenes of an exploding petrol station, merely to avoid a dumb argument with a non-english speaking petrol station attendant hitting the panic button!

And I PROBABLY would think twice about sharing the suggestion on an open forum, TBH......

TOP TIP! Acquired on Snowie's CBT actually was from her instructor who suggested using the ignition key to lift the chain to check tension before riding.

If chain properly and regularly oiled, saves getting your fingers or expensive riding gloves oily, if as recommended, done as daily pre-ride check, should also regularly transfer a healthy a dose of lube onto the lock, to keep it from wearing out, seizing up or freezing up so easily.

THAT, is a useful bit of advice and a tip I value...

Waving a lit disposable lighter around next to a petrol pump in a petrol station?!?!?!? Sorry, I need more emoticons! I don't know whether I should, laugh, cry or RUN!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Quick bit of Advice for winter fill ups. (Frozen locks) Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
So... lets get this straight....... you were in a PETROL station.... big signs about not smoking, not using mobile phones etc all hung around....

Unles you put a source of ignition (spark) to the vapour (The reason we mist the petrol into the engine via jets/injectors) then you will not get ingintion.

Heating up a key to shove in the tank will do the sum total of fuck all. A hot key is not a source of ignition, and it is not in contact with vapour (Unless your tank seal is really fucked).

Ask any old boy that fill his lawnmower tank up with a fag hanging out his gob.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:22 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as it's very unlikely to actually cause an explosion, using a lighter on a petrol station forecourt isn't very clever. Laughing

I do hope that he removed his lid before going into the shop to buy said lighter.

The old guy filling up his Briggs & Stratton mower whilst he's got a rollie hanging out of his mouth is allowed to do things like that. When you're his age you can fill your lawnmower like that if you want but until then, no cigarette lighters on petrol station forecourts for you. Razz

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:48 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Quick bit of Advice for winter fill ups. (Frozen locks) Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Ask any old boy that fill his lawnmower tank up with a fag hanging out his gob.

You mean like I do?

Yup, I KNOW you can actually put a fag out in a jam-jar or petrol, I have done it!

Risk of blowing up a petrol station using a NAKED FLAME disposeable lighter to warm an ignition key?

Not a great idea, I think... chances of doing a Steve McQueen may be pretty low.... odds of burning your hands or melting the plastic tang off the key slightly higher...

Risk that polish petrol station attendant will hit the panic button, alarms go off as roller shutters come down, and you are left trying to explain it all to some-one in a turban talking it-aint-half-hot mum Engish, with three community PCO's pointing mace cans yelling "Take the crash helmet off and put your hands behind your back!" thinking it more exiting than an episode of 'The Bill' covinced they have done their good dd for the day... IS the most dire and more likely out-come, I think....

But still.. burned fingers and trying to track down a motorcycle ignition key, and grumbles from the tinka at the booth in the market muttering that the tang's all melted and he cant get it in his machine, PROBABLY enough to make me cautious of applying the 'tip'!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1