Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scaffold towers...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Scaffold towers... Reply with quote

How do you tell if they're a bit crap or not? I've been looking at these

https://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers.co.uk/acatalog/Premium-DIY-Scaffold-Towers.html

but they don't look particularly strong. Needs to be able to be put away in a small shed - not really after full on scaffolding.

Recommendations?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitemarks & Standards For Mobile Scaffold Towers

The standard for scaffold towers in the UK is BS EN1004. This standard is the same in Europe where it is called EN1004. This standard applies to trade and industrial strength towers.

Both BS EN1004 & WAHR require mobile scaffold towers to have:

Stabilisers or outriggers fitted where necessary to guard against overturning.
Ladder access to the platform (either vertical ladders or inclined).
Trapdoor platforms for safe access from the ladder to the platform.
Toeboards fitted around the working platform.

The WAHR also stipulate the erection and dismantling method known as 'Through The Trapdoor' (or 3T for short) which is universally regarded as the best practice in the industry. The Health & Safety Executive has required all users to add extra equipment to BS EN1004 towers to also meet this building specification. 'Through The Trapdoor' ensures that no one has to stand on a platform without handrail protection. All BPS towers meet this building method to satisfy the needs of the HSE - customers should always check this if they are looking elsewhere.

Source - https://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers.co.uk/acatalog/Ladder-and-Scaffold-Tower-Standards-and-Regulations.html

Personally, I'd just hire although I do own an 8ft Snappy Tower for low-ish level work which would benefit
from a platform. Will be using it to dryline the roof of the pole studio next week.

Last edited by grr666 on 23:55 - 07 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you, rated funny .. gets informative.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 big problems I see with that tower are 1. the base feet hold it away from any structure so no matter what you're working on you have to lean outside the tower to reach the work 2. the gap between the deck and the lower handrail is easily enough for an adult human to fall out through and 3. the fixings for the diagonal braces are woefully inadequate.

Not something I'd want to use and you'd never be allowed to use it on any but the worst-run building sites.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas come early then.
Are you likely to use it often? If not as I said in my edit above, I'd hire a tower. I use my snappy platform to trim the
trees across the back of my garden which are about 12 feet high. Not sure what the job you want it for but have you
considered stilts? A few spreads in my acquaintance swear by them for ceiling work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT4saMNd9bg

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be used to clear the gutters, hack back some virginia creeper and paint the house and windows it's a job I'd need to spread over a few weeks, probably in the summer but having one would mean clearing gutters and general maintenance is made easier. There's a lot to do, it's an old house.

I'm not particularly good with heights which is why I wasn't going to use a ladder, scaffolding seems like a safer option. I gues this stuff doesn't seem to be that safe.

I'll have a look at prices for hiring. ta.

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:11 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or hire one of these mofo's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:14 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are pretty good: https://www.lordhire.co.uk/folding_work_platform?search=scaffold&description=true&category_id=0&sub_category=1

Come with outriggers for stability when getting higher, and can clip 2 together to give a wider platform.

Available to purchase as well (not sure on cost).

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:12 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one I bought from the pikeys for £20, it has no stabiliser legs, feet or diagonal braces but it goes to the full height of my house, strap a couple of ladders to it and a couple of old sleepers on the base job done Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1