Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

For those of you who like interesting aircraft ..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
Never got to see an SR71 in person sadly Sad. Some of the my most memorable visits were the first time's they had the F117 and B2 static with an old U2.

I'm glad to say I saw the SR-71 fly a few times, when they were based at RAF Mildenhall, and they had their airshows there. Even, after the SR-71 had left, Mildenhall airshow used to be my favourite airshow, such a shame it came to an end ..

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
I'm glad to say I saw the SR-71 fly a few times, when they were based at RAF Mildenhall, and they had their airshows there. Even, after the SR-71 had left, Mildenhall airshow used to be my favourite airshow, such a shame it came to an end ..
Mirror's what my Dad told me about it, never managed to visit any of their shows myself though, even when they were still running. That's the main reason I've not done Fairford for quite a few year's, it just doesn't seem to attract the same sort of line up anymore and everythings become so much more restricted. Used to do Yeovil and Waddington's show's in the past too, but they both seemed to nose-dive/get cancelled as well now sadly.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working on a Royal Saudi Air Force base in Taif, Saudi Arabia before Desert Shield and Storm and throughout the war. I was a sheet metal tech on the Saudi Royal Flight SH-3D helicopters.

During that time there was a huge build up of US and French and a few British squadrons on our base. In the next hanger to ours was a squadron of U2 spy planes. When our two helicopter flew off to ferry the dignitaries about they would pop a couple of U2's in our hanger, so getting to see them up close was a fantastic experience and talking to the tech guys was so interesting. When they took off they would pull up right outside out hanger on the main runway and up they went with an ear piercing roar. The next day we would see the same planes land again.
Being friendly with some of the US guys and fighter pilots, I was able to get a guided tour around a C5 Galaxy that used to be a regular visitor. As several of you have said, they are amazing aircraft, more like a hotel. We did have the F117's come in and out too, but only saw them flying as back then they were still pretty much secret and could never get close. But there were so many different fighters on base, it was just an awesome time.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:55 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

They have an SR71 at Duxford Wink

They have indeed. My grandfather used to be involved with the two seater spitfire they use for flight experiences there and he managed to blag me a sit in the pilot seat of the SR-71. Extremely cool. You can't see a thing over the nose, must be a bitch to land it. The tech is amazingly primitive considering the raw performance of the thing, really drives it home that despite how futuristic it looks it is from the '60's and that one hasn't flown since the '70s. Also incredibly cramped. I was 14 at the time and it was still a squeeze, trying to get in as a fully grown man wearing essentially a spacesuit is difficult to imagine, let alone sitting in it for hours.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:31 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinaboy wrote:

Being friendly with some of the US guys and fighter pilots, I was able to get a guided tour around a C5 Galaxy that used to be a regular visitor.

I worked on Nimrod maritime reconnaissance aircraft. We were visited by a Boeing E3 Sentry AWACS crew, and given a guided tour of that. Bearing in mind I was in the field of EW at that time, it was a very interesting tour. I won't comment on equipment for obvious reasons, but other comparisons were startling. The Nimrod was very cramped and dim in the back end where all the EW operators worked, for 9 or more hours at a time often (I was offered a trip in one on an operational flight but didn't fancy being cooped up that long with very little chance of even looking out of a window). The Sentry by contrast was plush, roomy, well lit, comfy even.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the scary thing.

"The original Blackbird was designated the A-12 and made its first flight on April 30, 1962. The single-seat A-12 soon evolved into the larger SR-71, which added a second seat for a Reconnaissance Systems Officer and carried more fuel than the A-12. The SR-71's first flight was on December 22, 1964."

When you consider how old the plane really is ..... makes you wonder what they really have stashed away today.

We lived on the flightpath to Newcastle Airport for about 10 years, Concorde was a semi regular visitor, that is THE loudest and prettiest plane I've ever seen.

The most impressive for me though was the English Electric Lightning, watching it stand on its tail and literally go vertically up from what looked like 10ft off the runway surface was a sight to behold, probably that and the Vulcan bomber - that something so big was so agile ( it had almost the same engine as Concorde).

Duxford has quite a few nice things, the shame is, they are all packed in so tightly it's hard to get a good view of them.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

We lived on the flightpath to Newcastle Airport for about 10 years, Concorde was a semi regular visitor, that is THE loudest and prettiest plane ever.

Many moons ago I lived a couple of hundred yards from Hatton Cross tube station right next to Heathrow and remember Concord coming in and taking off on a regular basis.
I can confirm Concord is verrry loud Shocked !

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
The tech is amazingly primitive considering the raw performance of the thing, really drives it home that despite how futuristic it looks it is from the '60's and that one hasn't flown since the '70s.

360° hi res image of the cockpit.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

We lived on the flightpath to Newcastle Airport for about 10 years, Concorde was a semi regular visitor, that is THE loudest and prettiest plane ever.

Many moons ago I lived a couple of hundred yards from Hatton Cross tube station right next to Heathrow and remember Concord coming in and taking off on a regular basis.
I can confirm Concord is verrry loud Shocked !

Noisy aircraft are impressive until you have to work alongside them. In Germany, our squadron pan was not far from a hover 'pad' where 3 and 4 sqn Harriers did tests. They'd sometimes be hovering there for minutes at a time while they ran some check or other. You couldn't hear a fecking thing above that racket - especially annoying when like me, you might be trying to carry out radio checks.

Visiting F16s taxying past were also annoying - a loud high-pitched whistle that was uncomfortable on the ears as they went by.

In Oxfordshire, I lived for a while not far from the perimeter of RAF Brize Norton, and remember wondering what the fuck it was shaking the whole house with an incredible roar. Got outside to see a Vulcan in a vertical climb above - a one-off visit thankfully!

So many cool stories, so little time Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember an airshow at finningley, possibly 1980, when they carried out a Vulcan scramble ! 4Vulcalns from being switched off and cold, to in the air in under 2 mins !! Explosive charges to start the engines then the roar of 4 vulcans taking off in quick succession !! If only digital cameras were around back then !!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big plane fail

https://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/transport-m/c141/pics02.shtml

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
I remember an airshow at finningley, possibly 1980, when they carried out a Vulcan scramble

BTDTGTS...

I used to live very close to Finningley as a kid, and me and my dad were regulars at the annual airshow there. I can remember the Vulcan scramble vividly - it really was something else; the noise was unbelievable, with the ground literally shaking under your feet. Very early 70s, I should think.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

BTDTGTS...

I used to live very close to Finningley as a kid, and me and my dad were regulars at the annual airshow there. I can remember the Vulcan scramble vividly - it really was something else; the noise was unbelievable, with the ground literally shaking under your feet. Very early 70s, I should think.

It was 1981 ..

https://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/744/286/Vulcan-4-ship-Scramble.html

Also, not the best quality video ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBDhloLk5qY

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

BTDTGTS...

It was 1981

That was the last display they ever did it at; the Vulcans were decommissioned soon afterwards. Wikipedia says they left Finningley in '69 - I expect that must have been the last time I saw them, then.

Thanks for the video clip of the scramble - really brought back memories.

It was great to see the last Vulcan on its farewell flights in 2015 - not quite the same as watching 4 of them taking off together though!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Aircraft stories Reply with quote

Went for a spin after work one day around llyn brianne, looked down on 2 tornadoes doing low level practice over the water. (Would love to see inside a c5).

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
-Matt- wrote:
Never got to see an SR71 in person sadly Sad. Some of the my most memorable visits were the first time's they had the F117 and B2 static with an old U2.

I was at Farnborough in 1974, the first time the SR-71 came to the UK, breaking the New York - London speed record on the way, at a couple of minutes under 2 hours, including slowing down for mid-air refueling.

They put a big cordon around it when it arrived, not so much because it was a little bit secret, but more because it was like standing next to a huge electric fire, such was the heat coming off it.

Dad did his NS in the RAF, leaving me with lots of interesting pictures, including one of the last flying squadron of Wellingtons and a couple of a prototype Hunter (when it was still covered by the OSA) loads of really good stories and a lasting love of aircraft and airshows.

Airshow highlights for me include a full power (with reheat) take off by an F-14 at Biggin Hill, which rippled the tarmac as it started rolling, any display by a Vulcan and the cartoon like vertical climb of a Mirage, IIRC the holder of the record for fastest rate of ascent at the time.

Also very memorable was the first year they opened Boscombe Down to the public; I was working in a car showroom in Salisbury at the time and I remember hearing this horrendous noise approaching.

I went outside just in time to see a B-52 coming in very low, one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad was in the RAF so I spent a lot of my youth around airfields. Memories include:

- watching English Electric Lightnings take off from RAF Brüggen, point at the sky and disappear
- same for visiting F-15 Eagles
- having essentially WWII aircraft still in active service and flying around all the time (Shackletons at Lossiemouth)
- seeing the Vulcans do their thing
- also seeing Victors doing a scramble
- having two SEPECAT Jaguars collide in mid-air over our house (Brüggen again) and both crash
- seeing a glider fall apart mid-display at an air show at Brize Norton, killing the pilot
- watching the Ilyushin IL-62 carrying Mikhail Gorbachev and his wife take off from Brize Norton and thinking "jeez, did they just photocopy the VC-10 design?"
- seeing a Lockheed C-130 do a crash-stop landing
- just generally being surrounded by loads of fast jets: Hunters, Jaguars, Phantoms, Buccaneers, Gnats, Hawks, Harriers as well as stuff like Canberras, Nimrods, VC-10s, Vulcans, Victors (never saw a Valiant), Jet Provosts and so on. Good times.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:57 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a design engineer for a big aerospace company i am fortunate to work on various platforms. JSF (F-35), Typhoon, Tornado, Hawk to name but a few. Quite impressive machines.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:

- watching English Electric Lightnings take off from RAF Brüggen, point at the sky and disappear

I would have loved to have watched those. In the RAF when I joined, they called them "the last of the fast", and people said most of them were at the bottom of the North Sea Laughing I was in the ATC for a while as a kid, and we did a week trip to Coningsby. Me and a mate spent some time standing by the airfield watching Phantoms take off in pairs on reheat. Very impressive. We got to help out on them in the hangar too, just handing tools to the mechs and techs, removing panels etc, and we got to do an a/c wash on one in the summer sun. I was only about 13, great for a young lad who loved aircraft. Phantoms have been one of my favourite aircraft ever since. They just oozed sheer brute muscle from every angle.
Got to crawl around in the back of the BBMF Lancaster too, and I have a photo somewhere of our squadron lined up in front of it outside the hangar.

Quote:
- having essentially WWII aircraft still in active service and flying around all the time (Shackletons at Lossiemouth)

I did some of my radio fault diagnostics training on those at RAF Cosford Smile

Quote:
- having two SEPECAT Jaguars collide in mid-air over our house (Brüggen again) and both crash

I was out working on Puma helicopters on the sqn. pan at Gutersloh when a Harrier went in. I don't recall seeing the actual crash, just a plume of oily black smoke rising from the far end of the runway. They put the wreckage in one of our hangars while the crash investigation went on - wasn't much left of it.

My favourite airshow was always Flying Legends at Duxford. The row of Spitfires, Mustangs, Corsairs, Hellcats etc etc stretched as far as you could see. They do a flypast with as many as can get airborne at once at the end of the show, a very impressive sight.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on a KLM flight (KL-1470) from GLA to AMS on Sunday there.

Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2