Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Checking front wheel bearings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:43 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Checking front wheel bearings Reply with quote

I'm starting to hear a strange sound on towards the front of my bike (Suzuki Inazuma 250), sort of like the mudguard plastic creaking (as if it's flexing).

I suspect the front bearings might* be gone but I'm finding it really tricky to test for play as you have the handlebars turn when checking skewing results anyone know how to completely stop the bars from moving or should I remove the wheel and check them directly? I've lifted the front end to check and the wheel spins smoothly with no grinding or anything but if I wiggle it quickly side to side I hear that creaky sound and again I can't feel any noticeable play.

The strange thing is I've replaced rear wheel bearings on my old Hornet before and it was pretty damn noticeable when they got the tiniest bit of play, filtering at low speeds using the rear brake made the bike feel squirmy however the Suzuki feels spot on in terms of handling still

*The bike only has 8k miles on the clock surely bearings should last longer than that?

Things checked
-Triple tree clamp bolts
-Head bearings for play (were fine)
-Front axle + pinch bolt
-Disc brake for rubbing
-All bolts/screws holing front mudguard on

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the front end lifted can you position and hold the top of a spoke at 12 oclock and hold under the tyre at 6 oclock and check for play?
You may have to release and hang the caliper.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
With the front end lifted can you position and hold the top of a spoke at 12 oclock and hold under the tyre at 6 oclock and check for play?

Translated into English: Check for the lateral play. There shall be none.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Checking front wheel bearings Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I'm starting to hear a strange sound on towards the front of my bike (Suzuki Inazuma 250), sort of like the mudguard plastic creaking (as if it's flexing).

Same thing happened on my Inazuma 250, kind of a knocking sound, I checked the allen bolts on that mounting plate, 2 were loose, nipped them all up, sound gone..

Oh BTW, bearings rarely wear out...

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:01 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Checking front wheel bearings Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
evilzed wrote:

Same thing happened on my Inazuma 250, kind of a knocking sound, I checked the allen bolts on that mounting plate, 2 were loose, nipped them all up, sound gone..

Ah I'll have a look, you're talking about the plate thing on top of the fender between the forks right?

On a few Inazuma forums people replaced the bearings fairly early at 18k odd saying they fail really quick on this bike (apparently the bearings don't have a seal on the inside just the outside) so was thinking they might be on their way out.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel bearings are cheap.
Good engineering practice : 'If in doubt, whip them out.'
Replacing is safer than just worrying if your not sure.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:39 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

Thanks for this, I was wondering how can I check them without removing the mudguard (it's a right pain on this bike) didn't even think about the spoke!

Result: Yes the bearing/s definitely got play, I have spares so can sort it but it's disappointing failing at 8k miles, My Hornet's rear went at around 10k I'm going to put this down to the horrible pot holey London roads. I did go through a very large one few weeks back around when this issue actually became noticeable.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:

FTFY:
Translated into words that the OP likely won't understand: Check for the lateral play. There shall be none. Thumbs Up

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Checking front wheel bearings Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

Really??

Wheel bearings,along with chain and sprockets and other items,are rarely top quality,especially on cheaply made bikes.It is the easiest way to make bikes on a budget.

As for checking for worn wheel bearings and removing calipers,when MoT testers do this as part of the test they are not allowed to remove any part of the machine.If in doubt,have a look on youtube Thumbs Up Wink

Always have a 'Plan B'

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Checking front wheel bearings Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
evilzed wrote:

Defo Trolling there.. Rolling Eyes

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
FTFY:
Translated into words that the OP likely won't understand: Check for the lateral play. There shall be none. Thumbs Up

What? Is the word ''lateral'' something only highly educated people use in the UK? Confused

Lateral = sideways. Thinking

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
FTFY:

What? Is the word ''lateral'' something only highly educated people use in the UK? Confused

Well, it's probably at least one which very uneducated people wouldn't use!

Sorry, I was only yanking your chain! Which is pretty unfair, considering my rather limited knowledge of (I'm guessing, Czech?) First - I'm sure BCF knew exactly what you meant, but correct English for what you wrote would actually be "Check for lateral play. There shouldn't be any"; Secondly though, which was my main point, I actually thought the detailed instruction provided for a newbie on exactly how to do the check was pretty clear, whereas a newbie probably wouldn't have a clue how to just 'check for lateral play'.

Anyway, no offence intended to either you or the OP (who may or may not be a newbie...) Cool

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Well, it's probably at least one which very uneducated people wouldn't use!

Sorry, I was only yanking your chain! Which is pretty unfair, considering my rather limited knowledge of (I'm guessing, Czech?) First - I'm sure BCF knew exactly what you meant, but correct English for what you wrote would actually be "Check for lateral play. There shouldn't be any"; Secondly though, which was my main point, I actually thought the detailed instruction provided for a newbie on exactly how to do the check was pretty clear, whereas a newbie probably wouldn't have a clue how to just 'check for lateral play'.

Anyway, no offence intended to either you or the OP (who may or may not be a newbie...) Cool

From my understanding of this English of yours,

''Should not'', suggests some play might be acceptable, but it's better to not have any. Like you shouldn't use tyres that are more than 5 years old, BUT you are not going to die, nor get a fine, for driving on much older tyres.
*I understand your regulation at this matter may vary.

''Shall not'', strictly says there may be no play, without exceptions. ''Must not'' would be more appropriate, I suppose.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
From my understanding of this English of yours,
''Should not'', suggests some play might be acceptable, but it's better to not have any.
[...]
''Shall not'', strictly says there may be no play, without exceptions. ''Must not'' would be more appropriate, I suppose.

Ok, I'll agree to "must not" then!

So yes, the difference between "shall not" and "should not" is really about engineering etc, which I'm nor arguing with; whereas the difference between "there shall/should be none" and "there shall/should not be any" is simply about English grammar and use of language. Although it does make sense, you'd just never hear "There shall be none" being used by a native.

Anyway, hopefully the OP's checked his wheel bearings by now. Laughing

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:

Thanks for this, I was wondering how can I check them without removing the mudguard (it's a right pain on this bike) didn't even think about the spoke!

Result: Yes the bearing/s definitely got play, I have spares so can sort it but it's disappointing failing at 8k miles, My Hornet's rear went at around 10k I'm going to put this down to the horrible pot holey London roads. I did go through a very large one few weeks back around when this issue actually became noticeable.

Your welcome,
ALSO SOME BITCHES ON HERE!

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:37 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I changed and bearings and I've attached a picture of the bearings, the first came out all fresh with blue grease and I was starting to think I made a mistake....

Design flaw on Suzuki's part IMO as the seal looked fine but when the bikes on the side stand the rusty bearing is facing out and rain can creep in (that's my guess at least)

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
So I changed and bearings and I've attached a picture of the bearings, the first came out all fresh with blue grease and I was starting to think I made a mistake....

Design flaw on Suzuki's part IMO as the seal looked fine but when the bikes on the side stand the rusty bearing is facing out and rain can creep in (that's my guess at least)

EEK, I thank you for this, I will BEAR this in mind in case I get problems.

Oh BTW, Off topic BUT My inazuma needs to have the rear brake switch replaced, got the recall letter this morning...

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:09 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
BTW, Off topic BUT My inazuma needs to have the rear brake switch replaced, got the recall letter this morning...

I had this recall done about 4 - 5 months ago Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1