Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Breaking in my Sinnis Apache SMR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bevmeister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:22 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Breaking in my Sinnis Apache SMR Reply with quote

Ok so after having my Pulse Adrenaline 125cc stolen a few weeks back, (I got it back in pieces) I decided to go out and buy a Sinnis Apache SMR 125cc.
Now I understand I need to break in the engine up to around 500 miles or so ... I was wondering what the benefits are of doing so and the main question will it get faster?
Now bearing in mind the Pulse Adrenaline and the Sinnis Apache use the same engine (apart from the sinnis being fuel injected due to Euro 4) the Sinnis is struggling to hit 50mph ? Whereas the Pulse would go straight up to 65mph then sloooowwwly hit 70mph. Is this due to it being brand new and needing breaking in or is this it ?
I'm not some yob looking to break speed records but my journey back from work on a single carriageway at 45mph was rather embarrassing with cars overtaking !
Thanks In advance guys .

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:54 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the joys of eking out every last fraction of a pony.

First up, your Pulse might have been lying to you but your Sinnis isn't. However, if you're regularly being overtaken by cars while pinning it hten something isn't right: t claims 11.5hp, which should be good for 60.

Sadly, you've already missed your chance to do a MotoTune run in, so what you've got is more or less what you're going to get. I doubt there's another 5 or 6hp waiting to be unleashed, which would be the difference between 50 and 70.

Oil change, put in an NGK spark plug, make sure the air filter is clean, the tyre are inflated, the brakes aren't binding and there's nothing rotten in the state of your chain and sprocket.

Best result might be to sell it on or trade it in ASAP.

Please tell me that you didn't buy it new for £2400.

Bevmeister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:13 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I brought it brand new last week. I thought the Pulse had never let me down mechanically in 3 years (had electrical problems) I use it to commute to work which is 10 minutes away, but like I said there is some quick roads on the way.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:23 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not making 11.5hp, so it's clearly been mis-sold.

Bevmeister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:26 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm yes I guess so. This isn't the only issue with the bike so might have a leg to stand on if I wanted a refund.
So just to be clear it's definitely not a case of getting more power after breaking it In? Thanks in advance

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best two things a rider can do to make his motorcycle go faster are more aerodynamic clothes (that includes proper positioning on the motorcycle) and losing some weight.

The first one costs money, the second thing will actually save you some money. Do the second thing first, save up some money to buy better motorcycle clothes.

Then you may experiment with shorter final drive gear ratio. Many manufacturers put long final drive gear ratios to save fuel = make the motorycle more atractive, so you can't really rev the top gear to the limiter = the motorycle having lower top speed. With shorter ratio, although it sounds odd, the motorcycle will not only have better acceleration but also higher top speed, worse fuel economy though.

And this is all I would be willing to do, to gain some more top speed.

Bevmeister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:50 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that either is the issue unfortunately, it should definitely at least hit 55/60mph also I'm 5 foot 11 and 12 stone so not overweight. Thanks again

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speedometer might be incorrect.

Bevmeister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:54 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I wish this was the problem but I've ridden a 125 cc for the past 3 years the same route every day, and I can tell you it's definitely not hitting 55mph, I can generally feel the bike is slow especially compared to the Pulse.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the fun of it, check the final drive gear ratio (the amount of teeth on the front and rear sprockets), then check it on the previous motorcycles you've riden (google it). As said, the manufacturers like long final drive gear ratios, because that's what improves the MPG, but robs you off not only acceleration but also the top speed.

Long final drive gear ratio makes your engine work much harder.

No need to go crazy about it, just removing one tooth from the front sprocket or 2-4 from the rear sprocket will do the trick. IF you decide to use a smaller front wheel sprocket you won't even have to shorten the chain (which is easy regardles).

My own experience (CB-1):
40 teeth back = 175km/h top speed, good MPG
44 teeth back = 190km/h+ top speed, very agressive acceleration, crap MPG

I bought it with the 44t sprocket, very fun motorcycle to ride. But then I had to do some commuting so I put it closer to the factory spec = fewer revs, better fuel economy, less heat.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:08 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing around with different size sprockets isn't going to fix it. Laughing

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

My own experience (CB-1):
40 teeth back = 175km/h top speed, good MPG
44 teeth back = 190km/h+ top speed, very agressive acceleration, crap MPG

thats not right, remember the speedo on a cb1 is off the front sprocket.

theory is (based on rear sprocket only)
Larger sprocket = more acc. less speed poor mpg
smaller sprocket = less acc. more speed, good mpg

Also a cb1 owner! Mr. Green

Bevmeister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:39 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I shall check the sprockets tomorrow chaps cheers for the advice, but as far as I'm concerned this should be doing 60mph straight out the shop ... I'm going to have a word with the shop I brought it from tomorrow also, and see what they say. Thanks again

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:40 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to the shop, do not worry about the sprockets. Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:52 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bevmeister wrote:
I'm going to have a word with the shop I brought it from tomorrow also, and see what they say.

"It'll get faster after it's run in. Come back in a month."

1 month later.

"You've not run it in right, that's owner abuse."

Sorry, there's no magic answer to your dilemma.

Just to check, you have tried spanking it in 4th rather than 5th, yes?

Bevmeister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:58 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't, but it has crossed my mind Smile
I shall see what I can get out of it in 4th on the way to work tomorrow and report back. Cheers

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:

thats not right, remember the speedo on a cb1 is off the front sprocket.

theory is (based on rear sprocket only)
Larger sprocket = more acc. less speed poor mpg
smaller sprocket = less acc. more speed, good mpg

Also a cb1 owner! Mr. Green

The GPS showed 194km/h or so. How fast does your CB-1 go?

With 41/15 they* say it should do 190km/h
With 36/15 it's about 170km/h

*they = the internet

I'm still not sure what made them choose different final drive gear ratios for different markets.

EDIT: googling around, I even found 193.1 km/h top speed for the CB-1. Sounds about right.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:54 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just drop oil, put new oil in and give it full beans in every gear. Would only switch to 5th when you hit the limiter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bevmeister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:48 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so after giving it some in 4th gear this morning it got straight up to 50 mph no problem so I kicked it up into 5th and it gave me nothing more, it almost feels like the 5th is restricted ?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:17 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to dismiss that out of hand, but then I recalled that in China, small bikes are (I believe) only allowed to do 80kph / ~50mph.

It is not inconceivable that your Euro4 fuel injected electronomical wonderbike is actually restricted to 50mph.

I still think it's more likely that when you shifted up, the revs dropped so far below the power peak that it was unable to produce enough power to get you any faster. There may be something in the fuelling that's nobbling you, and sadly it's not just a matter of fiddling with a jet or needle.

That's why you'll want to brutally thrash it in 4th until it absolutely won't go any faster, and only then change up. 5th is really just an economy gear on low powered 125s, unless they're low geared.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt there is a sophisticated electronic restrictor. Hence my theory about the sprockets.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:49 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

That's why you'll want to brutally thrash it in 4th until it absolutely won't go any faster, and only then change up. 5th is really just an economy gear on low powered 125s, unless they're low geared.

^ This. Rag it in each gear.

Bevmeister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:51 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks guys I have seen some sort of improvement on the way home from work ....
I'm about to take a trip on a dual carriageway so I will thrash as much as I can. Report back when I get home.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:57 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I doubt there is a sophisticated electronic restrictor. Hence my theory about the sprockets.

Clearly never had a Chinese bike. All of their 2 stroke Peds are a simple wire chop. Likely similar or just spaz limited CDI box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1