Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha YZF R125 steering lock snapped off

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to The Workshop by stinkwheel (28 Nov 2017 - 13:07)
View previous topic : View next topic  

VugarL
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:28 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Yamaha YZF R125 steering lock snapped off Reply with quote

Hey guys, it seems someone has tried to steal my motorcycle (AGAIN!), and have snapped off the steering lock. The ignition switch is falling out and the two bolts that hold in place (attached to the steering) are broken. Does anybody know how to repair this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be better off posting in workshop section.

That is unfortunately a bit of a bugger, but not as bad as it could have been:
https://r125forum.com/threads/change-ignition-barrel.6528/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:06 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay. Steering locks. My favourite piece of redundant technology that cause more problems that they solve.

Top yoke off. Extract the broken bits of bolt. Fit new lock.

Getting the broken bits out may be tricky.

Don't know if yamaha can supply a similarly keyed lock so you might either land up with a different lock on the ignition and the fuel cap or having to replace the full lockset if you want it same keyed. If you're really lucky, you can sometimes fit the old key barrel on a new lock.

Check for a bent handlebar. Check for damage to the steering lock stops. Make sure you have all the bits of broken lock out.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:08 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was busy moving your post while you were busy posting a new one. I've deleted the one with no replies.

VugarL
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:42 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wheel. DUDE I KNOW! what is the point of steering locks?! I can snap them off with using one bloody arm. I am quite handy with fixing stuff, but do you think I could do it on my own, or is it just better to go to a mechanics?
Also the black part that the screw going into (sides of the ignition attaching to the handlebar), is that part of the steering bar or the ignition switch? I thought those black pillars were part of the steering meaning i would have to buy a new steering bar?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:38 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

VugarLad wrote:

Also the black part that the screw going into (sides of the ignition attaching to the handlebar), is that part of the steering bar or the ignition switch? I thought those black pillars were part of the steering meaning i would have to buy a new steering bar?

Ahh. Hadn't noticed that.

Yes, it's sheared part off your top yoke (that's what that bit is called). You need a new one. it might do but equally it's aluminium so there could be stress cracks in it you can't readily see. You should be able to pick one up for less than £20.

They aren't hard to change out. Handlebars off then three fittings, one nut and two pinch bolts and handlebars back on again. If you're buying one second hand, make sure you see a picture of the underside so you can see they've removed the bolts that hold the ignition lock on and not just cut or snapped them off.

VugarL
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:37 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update guys. Finally came around to disassembling the bike and to my "luck" it seems the actual metal pieces that are part of the ignition switch have completely snapped off! Now I have to get a new ignition barrel. Is there a way to replace that without having to reach all the way into the bike to take out the cable? I would rather not take out the tank etc to reach inside.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:25 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a snap connector on the end of that cable. You need to undo that to change in the new switch. If you can't reach it, you'll need to take bits off until you can.

Don't force anything, take digital photos of parts before you remove them.

Use the screwdriver from the bikes toolkit to undo any crosshead screws you need to take out, you are highly unlikely to have one that fits them properly otherwise.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 16:22 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory the ignition switch has its connectors inside a rubber boot stored in the headlight.

Take the front of the headlight off and your find a big rubber boot full of them, the ignition is a large 4 pin block that i "think" is red on the YBR.

The switch is attached to the underside of the top yoke with a couple of sheer bolts. Once you have drilled out the old ones your can really replace them with anything, although tbh the sheer bolts cost next to nout and its worth using them again if u can.

All the best.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1