Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic : View next topic  

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:16 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had gait analysis and they just told me I was normal and to buy anything. I'm not sure I was even running that normally as I'd never used a treadmill before, so it was basically entirely useless. Do not recommend unless you already know you overpronate tbh

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had a gait analysis, and they filmed me running in a pair of neutral shoes, we watched the video back in slow mo and yes I over pronate and it is quite pronounced.

then I tried 3 pairs of shoes on and run in them, being filmed each time and they had all the videos up side by side, on pair at a time against the original footage, and I settled on a pair that appeared to dramatically reduced it

be interesting to see how I get on, will try them at Park Run tomorrow, but really 10k+ will be the acid test on Tuesday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to watch for trainers making you over compensate elsewhere. Before I saw my guy I was wearing trainers with insoles in that caused me no problems with my feet but whilst I was running 'flat' I was turning my knee to compensate which ballsed up my knee, hip and back.

Worth spending a few quid on this kind of thing rather than spunking money on the best running shoes that all the mags recommend. My shoes cost me £45 but the insoles and related sessions about £100 so similar to a pair of top of the range running shoes. I've done 550 miles / 75 hours in my current shoes and insoles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have been running for a couple of weeks now and besides losing some skin on my toes I thought I was doing pretty well.

Last evening run started fine but gradually I found my knee getting more and more uncomfortable until I had to stop, Friday morning I couldn't put any weight on it at all and have been gingerly limping around since then. Its feeling better this morning and I have been following RICE advise.

Right knee, pain is around the side of my kneecap but feels like it goes through my knee towards the back, there is no swelling or bruising at all. Is this something muscular or tendon-y and does anyone have any advice or had this themselves? Should I strap it up and carry on with running (at a slower pace) or totally rest it up?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run, are you landing with your feet more or less under you, or are you reaching too far forward with your stride I wonder?

Personally, I'd rest up for a week or so, and do a walk=run=walk, see how i feel, then a short run and see how I feel etc

Also, check out this website, it might look a bit clunky, but I think it is very good, and it's run by a chap in my town;

https://www.fetcheveryone.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had my feet underneath me rather than stretching forward. I know that I tend to land either on my heel or flat foot rather than on my toes....

I will rest up and have a butchers at the website, cheers Thumbs Up

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 02 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to walking after a loooong break. I've been trying to do 20k steps every day for last two weeks. I failed a few times due to work. But yesterday and today (days off) I did 36k steps (17 miles) and 41k steps (20 miles) respectively so I'm very happy with that.

That is combined with diet and weights workout on upper body as well (2 x week).

My current target is fat loss (I don't care about weight that much as long as I'm fit and healthy).

Future target - be able to run long distances i.e. 10km

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 02 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
OK, I have been running for a couple of weeks now and besides losing some skin on my toes I thought I was doing pretty well.

Last evening run started fine but gradually I found my knee getting more and more uncomfortable until I had to stop, Friday morning I couldn't put any weight on it at all and have been gingerly limping around since then. Its feeling better this morning and I have been following RICE advise.

Right knee, pain is around the side of my kneecap but feels like it goes through my knee towards the back, there is no swelling or bruising at all. Is this something muscular or tendon-y and does anyone have any advice or had this themselves? Should I strap it up and carry on with running (at a slower pace) or totally rest it up?

Could be IT Band syndrome, if the pain is on the outside of the knee, rest it up for a week or two (no running or stain climbing), swimming or cycling are fine as they are low impact.

Try running, set if it flares up again, if it does then you could have an imbalance or a weakness somewhere so maybe consider doing so strength and flexibility work or consider seeing a sports physio who knows about running related knee injuries.

https://www.runnersworld.com/it-band-syndrome

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:28 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a physio and have tight hamstrings which is causing my problem with my knee, she has given me exercises to do to stretch them out and banned me from running for the next few weeks. Its feeling a little better but is still incredibly painful! I am wide awake at 2am and debating taking more painkillers to make it through the night.

Swimming is fine so I am going to start using my local pool and do the evening lane swimming sessions to build up my stamina while I limp around.

I am definitely getting some better trainers that are properly fitted for my running style though! Ive learnt the hard way that you shouldn't just use any trainer Crying or Very sad

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done Chester marathon in 3:46. Pretty happy with that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question for the runny people.

I've started running on my days off, built myself up to 5k and now trying to work on getting my time down to something respectable.

Why am I getting a stitch so much? I don't feel tired, I'm not out of breath and I'm certainly not going too fast. I read that eating certain things can cause stitches, but I'm having nothing but coffee in the morning before I go.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevoriv wrote:
Just done Chester marathon in 3:46. Pretty happy with that.

Bloody well done I say. Clapping

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
I have a question for the runny people.

I've started running on my days off, built myself up to 5k and now trying to work on getting my time down to something respectable.

Why am I getting a stitch so much? I don't feel tired, I'm not out of breath and I'm certainly not going too fast. I read that eating certain things can cause stitches, but I'm having nothing but coffee in the morning before I go.

I believe that in most cases a stitch is a pain in your colon/intestine/ other poop related techno biological gubbins.

I wouldn't run without breakfast, but apparantley it is a proper option to breakfast after a 5k not before - longer distances not such a good idea.

Dunno, I don't get a stitch. I think it's cos my legs pain me before I ever push hard enough maybe.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

despite niggling injuries
and green laning bumps and bruises, I've just started a 9 week "transformation" programme, thought I'd start it before the Christmas food is every which way I turn

Everything hurts. Laughing

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2017 health and fitness goals have failed miserably.

2018 is the new goal... Rolling Eyes

Procrastination is king.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:52 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

so getting right back into it now, loadsa new exercises to try out

Got Mens Health magazine sub for my birthday, and try out all the little routines in the free booklet that comes with it each issue, see what works, what doesn't. Some I can't do, not enough space or the right equipment, others I adapt to my equipment or weediness. Some I can do.

Plate press. Weighted Russian twists. Kneeling woodchop. To name a few.

It was hard to "get back on it", but now I am I feel great and am going for it.

Cardio still on hold, physio on Thursday, NHS, long wait. As soon as they tell me what I need to do, I will be doing it, and back to cardio asap, but didn't want to make things worse by just toughing out.

Hamstring I think, right at the top of the leg/buttock Confused

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2017 has seen me go from grumpily walking a few yards when I absolutely had to, to a daily 5 mile all weathers
brisk walk with the dog. My backside has all but disappeared and my legs are looking great but having shelved bouldering for
the year due to bonding with said doggo, my upper body has gone a bit lardy and I resemble a spud on a stick. 2018 will see
a return to climbing, at least once a week as the dog can be left alone for a few hours now. But for now it's stuff face,
smoke weed, stuff face and drink drink drink for a couple of weeks. I'll survey the damage and formulate a plan
to start reversing it sometime in January. Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just signed up to do a 10k Water Wipeout obstacle course Laughing looks silly enough to me

https://xrunner.co.uk/obstacle-course-race/water-wipeout-competitor-information/

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:10 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a bit late for the 2017 thread but my goal of keeping my weight down panned out well enough, I think it's down to stopping drinking in March as much as any effort towards eating well but a win is a win.

Slipped back into smoke 20 lung darts a day so that stops today...

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 25 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to do a couple more runs this year as Im at 982km. I did very little the first half of the year but averaged 19km per week, Im happy with that. Last year only did 450km. Next year my goal is 2000km
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10