Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Starting a 2 stroke engine after storage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Starting a 2 stroke engine after storage Reply with quote

I have recently acquired an old Suzuki SB200 as a bit of a project from a friend who has had the bike stored and not used for 2-3 years.

I haven't really done any major work on bikes before, so not really sure where to start in terms of getting it running again. Is anyone able to give any advice on what should be done before I try and get it running? Being a 2 stroke, is the engine likely to need to be stripped down and rebuilt after being stood for so long, or could it just be a case of cleaning out the carbs, fresh petrol and 2 stroke oil etc?

Thanks

Alex

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how close it is to an MZ or Jawa/CZ, but the MZ I'm riding now was not in use for 4.5 years, never started once in that time period and all it took for me to get it going again was a fresh battery and petrol. I didn't even have to change the spark plug nor the air filter. I did change the throttle cable, but that's got nothing to do with it.

The MZ was stored in a dry and warm garage.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 11:39 - 16 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a chance it’ll need crank seals but then it might be fine. Fresh fuel and plugs. Syringe of oil down each plug hole, turn it over a few times then try and start it. Check the gearbox oil as it lubricates the crank outer mains on these. If it runs then change it before riding it too much.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it refuses to start you can give it a boost.
2-Strokes sometimes need excess fuel to start if not used for a while.
Oil in cylinders, as suggested, and crank it over few times then 1/2 teaspoon of fuel in the plug hole, refit the plugs and start on full choke.

Also, why was it parked up?
Was it a BITCH to start so the previous owner gave up? 🤣

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
the MZ I'm riding now was not in use for 4.5 years, never started once in that time period and all it took for me to get it going again was a fresh battery and petrol.

RhynoCZ wrote:
The MZ was stored in a dry and warm garage.

Excellent, I believe the garage it was stored in was dry, can't imagine it was warm though. I'll try this first.

GT200Fan79 wrote:
There’s a chance it’ll need crank seals but then it might be fine. Fresh fuel and plugs. Syringe of oil down each plug hole, turn it over a few times then try and start it. Check the gearbox oil as it lubricates the crank outer mains on these. If it runs then change it before riding it too much.

I'll change the gearbox oil regardless, as I had assumed I would probably have to replace pretty much all consumables anyway. I can't imagine replacing the crank seals on a 2 stroke engine will be too hard a job if they are needed?

MCN wrote:
Also, why was it parked up?
Was it a BITCH to start so the previous owner gave up?

I think there was some kind of oil and/or petrol leak and he never got round to doing anything about it. Before I attempt to start it I'll be putting new oil and petrol in anyway, and will look for any leaks then.

[/quote]

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Monty- wrote:
I think there was some kind of oil and/or petrol leak and he never got round to doing anything about it. Before I attempt to start it I'll be putting new oil and petrol in anyway, and will look for any leaks then.

I don't know what age your project is but some plastic fuel parts are softened by ethanol in 'modern' petrol. Maybe a source of the leaks.
I think you can get ethanol compatible replacements. (I think)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1