BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rider of the Youth didn't check his oil level

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:18 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth mentioning re: not checking the oil in 7k miles. I would think the oil change interval on that engine is about 4k. Sounds like it's a bit late for routine maintenance now though.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
I don’t believe it suddenly started supping oil. I bet OP never checked it so would have had zero clues it burnt a bit until it made horrible noises and smelt like a foundry.

a sudden change in millage and lazy weekly checks ...
and the thing is .. they don`t smoke .. or smell well not so as you notice

.... its finger up the pipe time to spot the give away tell tale signs ..
or white tissue held open across the exhaust plume.....
if you know what you is lookin for ... Neutral

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be a bit fucking pissed if I did this to my favourite old Briggs and Stratton, let alone a miniature screaming superbike, and one that's now rare too!

OP should have bought a daily beater middle weight like a 500-650cc twin and used that for all his miles and abuse inflicting instead.

Blinded by 'them cool looks factor' of a small old sports bike at a bargain price, and now paying the price.

ZXR's are great bikes, best for a well fettled track day thrill, racing, or just a sunny weekend blast. Not a don't look after it hack that's your every day get me to work in the rain and shit transport.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:01 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you only put 2.5 ltrs in to top it up there was still 1/2 a ltr left thats more than enough just turn your music up and keep ragging it Smile Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
if you only put 2.5 ltrs in to top it up there was still 1/2 a ltr left thats more than enough just turn your music up and keep ragging it Smile Thumbs Up

I wouldn't be that confident. Oil doesn't just lubricate, it also cools. OP might have been lucky as the engine didn't seize but on the other hand he might not have. I'd want to have a look at the top end for signs of damage as that's likely to have been affected first.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:33 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was on it's side stand, and 2.5 litres were added, it's massively overfilled.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If it was on it's side stand, and 2.5 litres were added, it's massively overfilled.

I did notice that your question was never answered...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:13 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked twice and still no answer.

It's not like the OP (and brother) inspire confidence that they know what they are doing.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Rider of the Youth didn't check his oil level Reply with quote

TheFlyingEnglishman wrote:
so he poured 2.5 liters of oil into the engine, it only went halfway on the spyglass but there's no min-max level so I'll see if it needs more.

https://s27.postimg.org/y6vzf7x0j/screenshot_2017_01_26.png

That's a pic of a ZXR sight glass. There is a min and max mark.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheFlyingEngl...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:17 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been off working and having a look at my pride and joy (Even though I was unfaithful with checks).

The bike was up-right rather than on it's side, the engine was looked at and it is actually completely fine, the compression is spot on and I managed to end up fixing it.

I believe about 2 liters of oil was actually poured in, leaving about 1.5l in. I honestly think I just caught it in time, the bike runs absolutely mint as I did a few checks on it to see if it was dying but it ran 10x better, as it would if it had actual oil in it.

Replaced the Oil Filter which was absolutely rusted to shit (Even though it was serviced before I bought it, apparently.) And topped up the engine properly with some fresh lubrication, screwdriver to the ear to engine method worked, the engine was seriously quiet and the tick was incredibly louder just by standing next to it, after the service was done it was fixed. Sorry for the time it took to get a reply over

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dump the old oil and filter the day after you buy any bike, no matter what lies the previous owner has told.

I would do that in the morning if I was you also, obviously just oil as you have done the filter.

In fact I wouldn't bother changing the filter and not dumping the oil.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If OP is sure that the motor is now ok after an oil change, then the proof is take the bike to a dyno for a power run. You'd find out very quickly if it's OK or not, and also if your now 20bhp down on how a ZXR should be.

Can't see any point in owning the bike if it's now down on power or smoking or noisy. And if it is any of these things, then the motor isn't long for this world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
If OP is sure that the motor is now ok after an oil change, then the proof is take the bike to a dyno for a power run. You'd find out very quickly if it's OK or not, and also if your now 20bhp down on how a ZXR should be.

Can't see any point in owning the bike if it's now down on power or smoking or noisy. And if it is any of these things, then the motor isn't long for this world.

I would think if a ZXR400 had lost 20bhp the owner would notice. Reason for owning? They're bloody gorgeous to look at. Wink Keep it and fix it up if necessary, but it sounds like there's no harm done.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 01:34 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

every kawasaki i`ve owned/ ran used oil..

My 19 year old ZRX11 doesn't use any between changes, but it only has 118,000 miles on it...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:

My 19 year old ZRX11 doesn't use any between changes, but it only has 118,000 miles on it...

Only 118,000? Bloody garage queens.

TheFlyingEngl...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:44 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

I would think if a ZXR400 had lost 20bhp the owner would notice. Reason for owning? They're bloody gorgeous to look at. Wink Keep it and fix it up if necessary, but it sounds like there's no harm done.

Good old A2 license, I didn't want something fancy with all those new electronics and fuel injection, thought I'd go old school and it was an amazing choice. Even though I've had a few issues but once they're all done then it'll be sweet as a nut, I get to rag the tits off of it whilst trying to chase all the big litre bikes around where I live, fun factor's a 10/10.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2