Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

JMI: Just Motorcycle Insurance Brokers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:24 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working out if you've lied about your annual mileage is only worth it to an insurance company if they're looking at having to pay out on a massive claim.

How far you commute is a good place to start for working out your minimum mileage. They can knock on neighbours doors and ask them questions.

Yes you could have lent your bike to mates who've done thousands of miles on it but it's just simpler to over estimate your mileage and it's unlikely to make any significant difference to the price.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:09 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, this is a question to catch out Darren Deliveroo rather than Eric Eurotour.

When arry comes down off the meow meow he'll doubtless post some wizard-gabble about post-hoc-pre-teen proportionate remedies that mean that you'd be asked for a small fraction of your premium in the event of a payout, worst case.

Actually voiding your insurance, I'd like to see them try it.

Really, I would. Fite.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it's just all the charlie I've been smashing or if BCF have genuinely sided with a crap motorcycle insurance broker.

Void piece - might be able if they don't insure bikers on that particular policy if they're not under 5k miles per annum. I'd be amazed if that's the case though.

Much more likely they'd say you owe them 25 quid risk premium and 50 quid admin fee.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:17 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Analogkid wrote:

True, my bike is less than 2 years old though.

Has it got a service record? Has it got more than 10,000 miles on the clock?

It's not that hard to work out how many miles you do. You just have to be honest with this sort of question. Pretty much all policies will have a mileage clause to cover the insurer's arse.

I'm not sure why you think you were so hard done by here.

I signed up for an estimated mileage. Estimate is just that, a figure expected to vary, when policy docs got delivered this variable figure had turned into a hard and fast maximum, not what i thought I was getting, fine up to this point, change the clause or cancel, however they then proceeded to charge me, thats the issue. If you ordered a new pair of suze 9 bike boots, and they delivered a size 8 would you expect to be charged return postage?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:43 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'd said "about 8" and they delivered an 8 and then I realised I was actually a 9 and the cheeky bastards wanted me to pay to send the 8s back, I'd sue them in the international court of human war crimes.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:58 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those picking on the fact that I am somehow trying to lowball them with mileage are missing the point, its the ins co that ask for an estimate, there is no caveat suggesting I should overestimate in case I go over my top estimate figure, had they asked for a maximum mileage ceiling as in some classic car policies that would be different, however they asked me to estimate and then delivered a maximum based on that. The company agreed that they got it wrong and fully refunded, so my point was valid, even if some in here think otherwise.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:18 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=mpd72]Of course it's an estimate!. At the time of asking, the future hasn't yet happened.

What you're meant to do is answer honestly, covering more than enough mileage for the year. You're not supposed to lie in an attempt top get the policy price down, then whine like a drain when they expect you to have told them the truth. [/quote]

You are making assumptions here, i that or twisting my words to suit your argument. I did answer honestly estimated that I’d do around 5k miles a year, no where does it state you should overestimate, in fact that wouldn’t be as honest, I never lied you are making that up, or perhaps you are judging me using your own metrics.

Analogkid wrote:
If you ordered a new pair of suze 9 bike boots, and they delivered a size 8 would you expect to be charged return postage?

What you did though, was needed a pair in size 9, but estimated your size as 8 because they were cheaper, then whined to half the boot industry when they didn't fit.[/quote]

I didn’t need a size 9 though, had I expected to do 6k a year I would have used that figure, so either you are being deliberatley provocative (or thick as fuck) coz you tried to call me out and realised you are putting wirds in my mouth. You have insisted in other posts the same thing, i have refuted your made up pish, do you think if you keep repating the same thing somehow it will become fact, or are you really just a dick?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:22 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
or are you really just a dick?

Does the Pope help peadophiles get away with thier crimes?

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:24 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Analogkid wrote:
or are you really just a dick?

Does the Pope help peadophiles get away with thier crimes?

lol, yes my question was rhetorical Smile

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:33 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Analogkid wrote:
You are making assumptions here, i that or twisting my words to suit your argument. I did answer honestly estimated that I’d do around 5k miles a year, no where does it state you should overestimate, in fact that wouldn’t be as honest, I never lied you are making that up, or perhaps you are judging me using your own metrics.

You said you would do under 5,000 miles a year. 0-4999.

Analogkid wrote:
I didn’t need a size 9 though, had I expected to do 6k a year I would have used that figure, so either you are being deliberatley provocative (or thick as fuck) coz you tried to call me out and realised you are putting wirds in my mouth. You have insisted in other posts the same thing, i have refuted your made up pish, do you think if you keep repating the same thing somehow it will become fact, or are you really just a dick?

Who did you get insured with in the end? Did you find an underwriter who only wanted to know your annual mileage for shits and giggles and had no intention of holding you to it?

FFS give it a rest, now I know why others have such a high opinion of you...fanny

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:56 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Analogkid wrote:

FFS give it a rest, now I know why others have such a high opinion of you...fanny

Nicely dodged.

So, who did you get insured with in the end? Did you find an underwriter who only wanted to know your annual mileage for shits and giggles and had no intention of holding you to it?

You're the one who started a pointless whining thread, over something which is fairly standard practice. Prove otherwise by naming the underwriter you went with in the end.

I wasn’t dodging, i just don’t feed trolls, folk like you want to drag things down to idiot level where you hold all the advantage, sorry to dissapoint you, don’t you have some windows that need licking?

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:08 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Analogkid wrote:

I wasn’t dodging, I don't want to look a prick by letting on who I eventually got insured with, knowing full well that their T&C's will say exactly the same thing I whined to the entire insurance industry and this board over

Correctified for you... Wink

Ok thanks! You finished now?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:50 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
my point was valid, even if some in here think otherwise.

Oh, I actually agree with you, but JMI aren't here to pick a fite with, and you are.

Analogkid wrote:
i just don’t feed trolls

[Responds several more times]

See?

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:46 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
Those picking on the fact that I am somehow trying to lowball them with mileage are missing the point, its the ins co that ask for an estimate, there is no caveat suggesting I should overestimate in case I go over my top estimate figure....

Ahhh c’mon dude, you know the purpose of the question! You provide an estimation of your annual mileage amongst other things, your insurance company provide a quote based on that risk. The T’s and C’s stated the insurance company “may” not pay out if you exceed your estimation, no doubt to cover themselves against chancers who estimate 1000 miles p/a and do 10000 miles.

I highly doubt they’d refuse cover for a minor miscalculation.

Analogkid wrote:
The company agreed that they got it wrong and fully refunded, so my point was valid, even if some in here think otherwise.

I doubt they really agree with you. It’s more likely a case of them thinking retention of the setup fee isn’t worth the aggravation.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 16:51 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Has anyone got any idea how much the insurance rises per 1000 miles?

Have just finished getting some early quotes for next years insurance so figured i would find out as all the details were done and it was just a quick edit.

While not particularly scientific for me and my details etc etc "up to" 3000 miles - Hasting Direct £250.66

Up to 4000 miles - Hastings direct £273.41
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends a lot on the insurance company. Some don't really care about the miles; I expect somewhere between 18 and 25k on the main bike (dependent upon how much time I spend on the others). It made not a penny difference going between 18k and 35k (my declared "not to exceed" mileage, I got bored resubmitting with higher numbers to see when it would go up) - but I expect that my minimum mileage weeded out the underwriters who care about it. (currently paying about £300 FC on the Pan with a low excess).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:44 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

4k miles might be more expensive but that doesn't mean to say 14k miles won't be cheaper.

[cool story] When buying house insurance a couple of years ago I discovered that for me with that particular insurance company, when decided how the value of the contents of my home is, through trial and error £100k was the optimal value. Having no working smoke alarms was slightly cheaper than having one or two working smoke alarms. Having a tree taller than two meters that's within five meters of the house also made the quote slightly cheaper.

It's not for us to question the statistics they used to working how much to charge. None of it has to make sense. Assume nothing. Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:14 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding physical security to my bike quote = price went up by 1/3rd.

Trust no one.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Adding physical security to my bike quote = price went up by 1/3rd.

Trust no one.

Troo-say.

Always look for the best combinations - if you only want TPFT, look at Comp with a huge voluntary excess just in case it works out cheaper. Run as many combinations as you can.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4