BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Budget build for retro gaming

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:40 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best value-for-money is a free XFX HD6950.

However, it looks like:

https://www.amd.com/PublishingImages/photography/product/360px/AMD-Radeon-HD-6950.png

And I have no idea if that will fite in this:

https://i.imgur.com/AJE0aeQ.jpg

Absent any "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo!" I reckon I'll go for that box and hope for the best. Worst case, I can upgrade the CPU and RAM and then get into this slap-fight over buying a smaller graphics card.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ati cards are better than Nvidia ones, that have a habit of blocking ports etc.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Ati cards are better than Nvidia ones, that have a habit of blocking ports etc.

It depends what you play. I play a number of the Combat Mission series of games Normandy, Fortress Italy, Black Sea etc.

This series of games use OpenGL, and using ATI series of cards to play you will discover just how bad are ATI/AMD OpenGL graphic drivers. A large scenario involving near battalion sized forces will take up to FIVE MINUTES to load with ATI. Your frame rate will be substantially lower than Nvidia. Your shadows will flicker irritatingly, and your terrain looks far worse outside a near draw distance. With Nvidia the load times are in the one minute/sub-minute range, no shadow flickering, far terrain looks great, and I can shoehorn a ton of mods that make it look much nicer with far less impact on load times or anything else.

As a result I have a Radeon R9 280 sitting here doing nothing. It did things for a while until I got fucked off and bought an Nvidia card. ATI cards play nice with lots of games and are cheaper than their Nvidia rivals, but blanket statements that they're better should be treated with some scepticism, since as always YMMV.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant physically Smile My Nvidia card blocks some of my sata ports, and I have to run it in the lower slot. Ati cards seem to be better. In terms of performance yes Nvidia hump Ati.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I meant physically Smile My Nvidia card blocks some of my sata ports, and I have to run it in the lower slot. Ati cards seem to be better. In terms of performance yes Nvidia hump Ati.

OK fair enough. Both large Nvidia cards I've recently used have been no different than the Radeon they replaced, albeit my case and motherboards have been reasonably friendly with monster sized cards so far. We'll see how graphic card sillyness goes in the future, if and when I decide to upgrade. Most modern games feel decidedly meh, no matter how awesome they look on screen.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:40 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don;t know if Colin has sent you the 6950 but i have two 7950's which you have.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:55 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but the 6950's on its way and the base box looks to be arriving tomorow as well so I can try and shoehorn them together.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:21 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Thanks, but the 6950's on its way and the base box looks to be arriving tomorow as well so I can try and shoehorn them together.

It should fit depending on how much those fins protrude out from the south bridge, might want to add some extra cooling as leaf blowers are a bit of a pain.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:40 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
It should fit depending on how much those fins protrude out from the south bridge

Angle grinder poised at the ready.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:45 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fitted in, just barely. That XFX is a beast, I didn't realise it needs 2 x 6 pin PCIE power plugs. Plugging it in also disables the onboard LAN: Windows 7 just doesn't see it all, not even as a resource-conflicted device. Lulz.

I actually might sling a GT 1030 in there and put the beast-card into my box. All good funzone.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

That doesn't sound right. What motherboard (chipset)are you running, did you try to update the BIOS? Thinking

Nvidia does require at least 8 PCIe lanes to work properly, while ATi/AMD requires only 4 PCIe lanes. But regardless of that your MB should still have at least one full lenght PCIe x16 slot, which should fully support a graphics card without ''taking'' lanes from the SATA, USB, Ethernet, ... controller. The manufacturers even put a apropriate amout of SATA, USB, Ethernet, ... ports on their boards according to the chipset's capabilities.

TL; DR: There might be something wrong with your motherboard.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 16:52 - 16 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
All fitted in, just barely. That XFX is a beast, I didn't realise it needs 2 x 6 pin PCIE power plugs. Plugging it in also disables the onboard LAN: Windows 7 just doesn't see it all, not even as a resource-conflicted device. Lulz.

I actually might sling a GT 1030 in there and put the beast-card into my box. All good funzone.

You beat me to it Roger. I was just going to tell you about the power to performance ratio and how modern low end beats several generations old mid/high end with only a fraction of power + heat.

About the LAN controller, did you get the latest driver? Is the LAN controller still in the device manager?

EDIT: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GT-1030-vs-AMD-HD-6950/m283726vs3152 Thinking

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 20:31 - 16 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThoughtControl wrote:

As a result I have a Radeon R9 280 sitting here doing nothing.

How much?

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

https://i66.tinypic.com/2w30ryq.jpg

£59.98 with free delivery.
https://www.ebuyer.com/791766-asus-geforce-gt-1030-2gb-oc-graphics-card-ph-gt1030-o2g

Or this £59.99 + delivery but has the benefit of being low profile AND single slot width.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/palit-nvidia-geforce-gt-1030-2048mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-043-pl.html

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
M.C wrote:

That doesn't sound right. What motherboard (chipset)are you running, did you try to update the BIOS? Thinking

Nvidia does require at least 8 PCIe lanes to work properly, while ATi/AMD requires only 4 PCIe lanes. But regardless of that your MB should still have at least one full lenght PCIe x16 slot, which should fully support a graphics card without ''taking'' lanes from the SATA, USB, Ethernet, ... controller. The manufacturers even put a apropriate amout of SATA, USB, Ethernet, ... ports on their boards according to the chipset's capabilities.

TL; DR: There might be something wrong with your motherboard.

So this:
https://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/Motherboard/MSI_Tomahawk_AC/air12_sm.jpg

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
Don;t know if Colin has sent you the 6950 but i have two 7950's which you have.

How much?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Heh, silly me. Embarassed

Anyway, what chipset do you run? You do realise not all chipsets allow more than one full PCIe x16 slot, right? The bottom PCIe slot mostly being only x8, or even x4 (not even having all the pins soldered).

Well, even in x8 (if gen 3) it's still going to work alright.

EDIT: And as I like guessing games, I'm going to guess Z170a, from that picture.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my actual board but that's the issue. My AMD board only had one slot so I had to live with it, my x58 board has two 16x slots, so I use the lower one so not to block the ports.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:36 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:

Gone for. The width isn't a problem, the length of the 6950 was coving the SATA ports though. Plus, dat power.

Cheers all, I reckon it'll be a happily parsimonious Prophet Xebusmass.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told you so. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:12 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Told you so. Thumbs Up

No you didn't. You said get a 1050. I looked at the benchmarks and chose to spend my budget for my purposes rather than your budget for yours.

BCF, gotta get some fite in the game.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I stand behind what I've said, but I meant the bit about the latest low end cards beating the older mid range cards, while only requiring a fraction of power and produce next to no heat.

GTX 1050 is +83% faster (more capable) than the GT 1030, while costing only 25%(?) more. It's the minimum frame rate that matters here, not the maximum.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
And I stand behind what I've said, but I meant the bit about the latest low end cards beating the older mid range cards, while only requiring a fraction of power and produce next to no heat.

GTX 1050 is +83% faster (more capable) than the GT 1030, while costing only 25%(?) more. It's the minimum frame rate that matters here, not the maximum.

Just compared to my 680 I bought recently for £65*: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-680-vs-Nvidia-GT-1030/3148vsm283726

*fair rather than amazing price

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Gone for.

I'd have sold you the 670 for a good bit less than that.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best power for the pound I've seen is ex-business type i5 desktops. It's cheap gear because its used, but its still pretty potent. The main problem is that a lot of them are low profile computers which limits your GPU choice.

Ryzen looks like a decent deal, but DDR4 prices make it much worse, and you can't just use DDR3 until the prices come down. 8GB of DDR4 is about £80. You can get a complete Intel i5 4th gen system for £100 more than that Laughing

M.C wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Just compared to my 680 I bought recently for £65*: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-680-vs-Nvidia-GT-1030/3148vsm283726

*fair rather than amazing price

1030 is a waste of money. 1050 however isn't a bad deal. Still bang for the buck is probably better with the GTX-680.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3