Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Lift Options

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Bike Lift Options Reply with quote

I've just finished building a workshop for my bike (and future bikes) in my garden. It's a pretty decent size (4m x 4m) so am now thinking about buying a lift for easier maintenance.

So far I have found 3 options:

- ABBA Skylift - This is the most expensive option at around £450, but seems to allow the greatest access to all parts of the bike, and allows the bike to be easily wheeled around the workshop, making storage much simpler. The main drawback with this is that the bike compatibility seems to be fairly limited. My ZX7r will be fine, but potentially not with future bikes, especially older ones or tourers.

- EazyRizer Lift - Cheaper than the Skylift but not hydraulic. Also seems to have a strange mounting system so not really that convinced by this one. Also, no casters so can't be used to move bikes around.

- Sealey Motorcycle Ramp - Cheaper than the skylift, but doesn't look like it offers the same access to all parts of the bike and takes up a massive amount more space (although a bike could be stored on the ramp if needs be). Also, would still need to use the paddock stands for my ZX7r as it has no centre stand. The main advantage of this for me is that it will be compatible with any future bike as long as it doesn't exceed the 365kg weight limit, and since I have no intention of buying a Goldwing any time soon, that will work for me.

So, does anyone have experience with any of these, or any thoughts which could influence a decision?

Thanks

Alex

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 20:01 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally if i was building a work shop i would go for a full ramp.

Never had any issues with doing any jobs on any bikes using my ramp combined with a paddock stand or a flat top scissor jack when i was in the trade.
The abbas style stands are good (I own one) but they arnt brilliant. Mine is planted on the flat but on any sort of incline it wobbles around, when doing up anything that requires some grief (or a breaker bar) mine twists abit... not the most confidence inspiring. I find myself having to finger tight some things, lower the bike, torque up, raise the bike... continue which can be a ball ache after awhile. Also as you said any time you change bikes you may have to fork out for the right attachments...although some of them are the same.

If i were to build a workshop and storing a ramp was going to be a problem i would look at dropping the ramp into the floor, either digging a hole or raising the floor around it.
A friend of mine did neither and uses a hand operated winch. The cable runs from the winch up the wall above it along the ceiling above the ramp where it splits into 4 with hook on the end, he hooks one on each corner and lifts the ramp up to the roof beams.

Great idea but he has enough ceiling height to pull it off and he added a few steel bars which lock in place under the ramp once its in the ceiling so if the winch moves or gives the ramp cant move.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Skylift, it is quite frankly excellent and the most versatile of all options. The Abba team are very good at tracking down compatibility and there is a full fitting kit available. A lot of the fittings are universal to many bikes.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ramp.

It's good because it raises it up to work on, is pretty stable and you can store a bike on it when not using it. There has to be a reason why you see ramps in professionals workshops and not sky lifts.

However I have never used a sky lift so I can't say if that has advantages over a ramp. I had an Abba stand for bikes that had no centre stand but on the ramp I prefer to use paddock stands.

The ramp I have is this........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FoxHunter-1000lb-Hydraulic-Bike-Motorcycle-motorbike-Workshop-Lift-Ramp-Bench-XL/112546744647?epid=1439379995&hash=item1a344f0947:g:9S0AAOSw1MBZzMVm

Had it for must be 5 years now and still works fine.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
I've had the forks off my FZS and changed the engine using nothing more than a 20 pond jack from ebay and a couple of bricks.

Lifts are for tarts who spend more time polishing than riding and of course lets not forget the wannabe Edd China's.

I'm intrigued exactly what sort of 'maintenance' do you think you're going to be doing that requires a lift?

The kind that doesn't knacker your knees and back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far. If the skylift would fit absolutely any bike regardless of type or age, I would buy one immediately, but I just feel it could end up as a very expensive ornament if I were to buy a bike that wasn't compatible with it, hence me considering a ramp which would be fine for any bike.

Bodyguard wrote:
I've had the forks off my FZS and changed the engine using nothing more than a 20 pond jack from ebay and a couple of bricks.

Lifts are for tarts who spend more time polishing than riding and of course lets not forget the wannabe Edd China's.

I'm intrigued exactly what sort of 'maintenance' do you think you're going to be doing that requires a lift?

None of the maintenance I do actually requires a ramp. You could argue that there is not one single mechanic that actually "needs" a ramp as anything can be done without one with a little ingenuity. But it makes things a whole lot easier. But carry on thinking you are better than everyone else because you enjoy making life hard for yourself.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have a ramp.

It's good because it raises it up to work on, is pretty stable and you can store a bike on it when not using it. There has to be a reason why you see ramps in professionals workshops and not sky lifts.

However I have never used a sky lift so I can't say if that has advantages over a ramp. I had an Abba stand for bikes that had no centre stand but on the ramp I prefer to use paddock stands.

Our local mechanic uses a combination of ramp style lifts, Abba stands, Paddock stands and a Skylift depending on the work he's doing at the time. He loves the Skylift for the all round accessibility it offers plus the fact he can just wheel it and the bike it's holding out of the way if he needs to.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an eazyrizer lift. I bought it second hand and it came with one mounting kit which works on any monoshock bike. I will eventually get, or make, the frame lift mounts.
I've put it on casters so I can now move the bike around my cramped garage while it's being worked on which makes a massive improvement. It also makes it easier to move outside - washing the bike when its up in the air is so much easier.

I did look at a full ramp, but just didn't want to commit the space. For the limited spannering and cleaning I do, the eazyrizer is excellent. By that I mean it gets pulled out from a corner and used three or four times a year.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sealey lift. It lives against the garage wall when not in use. The ABBA skylift is sweet but.... the bike ramps provide immense area for clutter to sit on whilst one perform open-heart surgery on a bike.

(I also have the ABBA stand c/w with the wee bogie that lets me push the bike close to the wall. Better than a pair of paddock stands but not the greatest of tools for all work.)
I have an ABBA Greatest Hits CD too.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
The ABBA skylift is sweet but.... the bike ramps provide immense area for clutter to sit on whilst one perform open-heart surgery on a bike.

Unlike the floor, underneath the bike once it's up in the air on the Skylift.....

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
MCN wrote:
The ABBA skylift is sweet but.... the bike ramps provide immense area for clutter to sit on whilst one perform open-heart surgery on a bike.

Unlike the floor, underneath the bike once it's up in the air on the Skylift.....

Spoken like someone that's never kicked over a tin of xxxxxxxx or knocked over a load of screws / bolts. 😂

The floor is not somewhere to keep "shit".

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I use a parts trolley to chuck stuff on under the bike then I can wheel it out of the way as needs be.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Nah, I use a parts trolley to chuck stuff on under the bike then I can wheel it out of the way as needs be.

Good plan. Smile

My toolbox is on wheels and supports my random shit. Did one service using the floor ..... never again.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:

just because you can do something it dosnt mean you have to.

the op has taken the time to sort himself out a workshop area and is now seeking advice about a lift.
and you missed the point completly saying "how you could do this and that with a £20 jack and some bricks".

the guy wants a lift and can afford a lift so why be an arse?
its like refusing fillet steak because you can live on pot noodle.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:53 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:
Stuff regarding Bodytard

Seriously, don't rise to him he's a troll.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I have a Sealey lift. It lives against the garage wall when not in use. The ABBA skylift is sweet but.... the bike ramps provide immense area for clutter to sit on whilst one perform open-heart surgery on a bike.

(I also have the ABBA stand c/w with the wee bogie that lets me push the bike close to the wall. Better than a pair of paddock stands but not the greatest of tools for all work.)
I have an ABBA Greatest Hits CD too.

Wifey has hinted rather strongly - 'We are going to see Mamma Mia 2 when it comes out' Rolling Eyes

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 1Jac myself.

https://www.1jac.com/

can't ask for an easier lift solution. Works perfectly.

doesn't lift it right up in the air but high enough to move it around/get the forks and wheels off etc..

use it every time I'm on the bike as it enables me to spin the bike around in the garage on the spot.

had a few initial problems as they didn't have an adapter to fit my year blade but a bit of trial and error and we got it all sorted

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
wristjob wrote:
Stuff regarding Bodytard

Seriously, don't rise to him he's a troll.

Ssshhh.... FFS be careful of sensitive hearts around here. Shhh!

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the best cost to usefullness ratio bike lift available at the moment is the Draper MCL4 37190 Air and Hydraulic.

When I get around to building my new workshop I will be getting one of these which will be sunk into so its flush with the floor.

It has a wide bench of 680mm instead of the standard 650mm and once the extensions are added its 1220mm wide. Wheel clamp as standard. Rear wheel change plate. Tie down points. The only thing it doesn't have is a piece of right angle along the sides to stop items rolling off the lift.

Only problem is it is £1200 so more than double your budget but I guarantee it is better than any of your choices and if you bought it you wouldn't regret it 20 years later

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
My toolbox is on wheels and supports my random shit.

Bodytard would be applying this very literally.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
My toolbox is on wheels and supports my random shit.

Bodytard would be applying this very literally.

And liberally. The shit at least.

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have done a lot of thinking about this, and have eventually decided on the Skylift. After a bit more research it seems compatibility is not limited to only the bikes listed on their site, so it seems likely that any bike I do buy in the future should be fine with it.

Thanks for all the replies Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1