BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice for the Short and/or Feeble

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BakesBeans
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:52 - 27 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be selling my M Star boots (UK size 9), I have only used them on a few outings. Anyone want to buy?

Monkeyjoe
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:34 - 20 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
BakesBeans wrote:
I would need to adjust the gear lever (which I don't want to do).

Tell me about it. I bought a new car and the seat was totally too from the wheel. Reach under it and find a lever? I don't have time for that bullshit, I've just had to stuff cushions and all sorts behind my back. Mad

Lol Laughing funny... Though I wouldn't know how to adjust the gear lever either

Very nice thread though... Another reason I got the Bonnie, I can flat foot fairly easily, I'll try the bum shifting technique also... I parked at the side of the road on a lesson riding a CBF600 without realizing it had a massive camber, very nearly dropped it, lesson learned!

Wednesday Biker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:32 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike trousers cost me about 2 inches.
Can sit almost flat footed on my bike in jeans but when i have them on I'm like Ronnie Corbett

Ozzy92
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:33 - 24 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem when I initially went to look at my first bike. With jeans on I found it a bit uncomfortable with actually getting to the floor.
Luckily the guy in the shop allowed me to try on some proper trousers and this gave me enough to be comfortable on the bike.
Therefore having the right gear for you could also help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Twofish
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 11 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another vote to look out for the seat height AND width.

I've just been through the whole looking for a new bike process and found it's best to sit on every single bike you're considering, and some that you're not. You might be surprised.

I had a CBR600F which I had to have lowered to a seat height of 77.5cm to have my feet comfortably on the floor (not flat though), because the seat and the bike are wide. The 2014 VFR is a push at the low 78.5cm seat height but just about possible.

So recently I found that I could happily touch the ground enough on a Fazer 8 with a standard seat height of 81.5cm - narrow bike, nothing sticking out in the wrong places.

(I also found I could do the same with a K1300S...but that's a bike for another year Laughing )

Ended up buying a F800GT with the standard seat height of 80cm which is also just about fine, but might get the low 78.5cm seat so I can put a gel pad on top for long journeys Wink

So if you've got short legs don't just dismiss a bike because it's taller than 80cm, it could be narrow too. Go see them all in the flesh.

I forgot about weight - OK so there's not that much different between the CBR600F and the F800GT, but the GT is so much easier to wheel around from the ground. Again, you have to go and check them all out. Visiting lots of bike showrooms is a tiresome process Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bucky_Otter
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:35 - 27 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just graduated from a CBR125R to Yamaha FZ8. At the moment I can only get one tip toe on the floor without leaning the bike (I have 25" inside leg) but we're lowering it by 30mm on Saturday so we'll see how that goes.

Hopefully I'll be able to fill the tank over 1/2 way when it's all done! Cool

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:28 - 27 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky_Otter wrote:
I have 25" inside leg

???

https://www.frenzycreative.co.uk/images/oliver-otter.jpg

Bucky_Otter
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:32 - 27 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the hell did you find that pic of me?!

Bucky_Otter
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:51 - 02 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky_Otter wrote:
I've just graduated from a CBR125R to Yamaha FZ8. At the moment I can only get one tip toe on the floor without leaning the bike (I have 25" inside leg) but we're lowering it by 30mm on Saturday so we'll see how that goes.

Hopefully I'll be able to fill the tank over 1/2 way when it's all done! Cool

Lowering the FZ8 was a success. We used a kit from Lust Racing which has worked a treat, and not damaged the handling from what I can tell.

It's amazing how much difference 30mm can make!

petalbriefs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:42 - 16 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the same to my R6 with a lust racing link!
Makes loads of difference Thumbs Up

Bucky_Otter
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:37 - 17 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

petalbriefs wrote:
Did the same to my R6 with a lust racing link!
Makes loads of difference Thumbs Up

Agreed, I loved the FZ8 from the moment I started the test ride, but it's quite a big bike for a guy like me so I was never confident before we fitted the kit.

It's definitely improved the way I ride (stopping, slow speed etc) and I think it goes to show size and weight aren't really an issue as long as you can get at least 2 tip toes down Wink

petalbriefs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:48 - 17 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. The R6 seat height is 810mm standard, which is probably one of the smaller sports bikes but at 5"0, it was still tall for me.

Lowering made it easier to get my foot down but the confidence I have gained riding it for the last 7 months, makes it far easier, I now naturally shift over and feel much happier on it Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Fiona84
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:25 - 02 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

petalbriefs wrote:
I know what you mean. The R6 seat height is 810mm standard, which is probably one of the smaller sports bikes but at 5"0, it was still tall for me.

Lowering made it easier to get my foot down but the confidence I have gained riding it for the last 7 months, makes it far easier, I now naturally shift over and feel much happier on it Mr. Green Thumbs Up

I was dubious when I sat on my bike last week, I can only get both tiptoes down without leaning, and the bike is double my weight.
But I'm fine riding it, I found it easy to set off and quickly get both feet on, it feels very stable.
I will take a closer look at the picking up your bike link, cos if I drop it I'm buggered, and I don't want to have to rely on other people taking pity on me Laughing

B12ETT
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:51 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys,
ive just recently passed my mod 2 .im thinking on getting an adventure bike ,triumph tiger 800 xc and im around 5,6" any of you have this bike and do you think is sutable. i will be going to try for size but was just wondering cheers

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:02 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a bit late to the thread but I'll add a couple of small thoughts.

I'm 5'9", so bang on average however I have a long body & piddly legs (29 inseam).

The best trick I've found cost me £2.50 from a shoe shop: Padded inner soles with raised heels. Boots my legs by about an inch & allows me to ride taller bikes I thought I'd struggle with (CBR, MT-03 single).

Yes I get it may be a bit like wearing high heels but as the sole is inside the boot it's never noticed by anyone! You get used to it after a while Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:12 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B12ETT wrote:
triumph tiger 800 xc and im around 5,6" any of you have this bike and do you think is sutable.

I have the lowered version of the lowered version of the similarly proportioned F800GS. At 5'6" with a 28" inside leg, I can comfortably flat foot it both sides, and I mean flat foot - I can stand up and be clear of the seat.

Likewise, you could go for an XR rather than the XC. Unless you're actually intending to do the Road of Bones, you're not going to need all the suspension travel and big spoked wheels of the "off road" version.

There's even a lowered-lowered version of the Triumph, the cunningly titled "XRx Low" which can go down to a diminutive 760mm. That's 5mm lower than an MSX125, for reference.

LindaJones
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:56 - 06 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone said I'm too short to ride a motor bike too. I'm 6'5 . But who cares Laughing

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

LindaJones wrote:
Everyone said I'm too short to ride a motor bike too. I'm 6'5 . But who cares Laughing

https://s20.postimg.org/svp2w9zkd/Screenshot_2017-08-07_at_12.12.53.png
vhkthor This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:41 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one thing that always put me off riding a bike. I’m 31 now and around 5 ft 2, 5 ft 3 at a push. My dads probably smaller than me but has rode bikes all his life. He’s got a fazer 600 and only tip toes with both feet but he said it’s enough, I sat on and could probably reach a little easier but didn’t feel comfortable at all. Maybe if I had been riding 40+ years I’d be comfortable too, but I never actually thought I’d find a bike that was suitable to my height. I’ve only sat on a couple as I’m waiting to do my cbt, an R3 and YBR125, can flat foot the 125 but not quite the R3 but I could reach enough to feel comfortable. Point is, don’t let it change your mind if you think your too short. There’s always a way round it Thumbs Up

abrar tariq
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:32 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

good information for a newbie. I was looking for this from quite some time. Smile

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost 3 years, it would seem...
JamesSanii This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:04 - 28 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 5'6" with a 28" inside leg and I ride a standard height ST1100. In 20+ years of riding I have only ever been able to flat foot one bike and that was a vz800. I have found that with practice and learning the right technique for me I am confident on almost any bike. I have dropped bikes on numerous occasions and I have learned how to pick them up again. One thing I have found very important is the type of footwear I wear. I wear logger boots when riding my bike. They give very good ankle support and have a thick, grippy sole. Things that are very important if you have to stop on a road with a steep camber or have to move the bike when sitting on it. I also make sure that I always reverse downhill so I can drive uphill.
mohit This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3