Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Towering Inferno

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: H Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
arry wrote:

This is just for you this one. Let's look at the important bits:
I doubt fireproof cladding was a legal requirement.

It wasn't a legal requirement to have it installed, no. But to install that particular type of cladding, I can almost guarantee you (and of course I can't be 100% sure, just for the nitpickers), will be otherwise in accordance with Approved Doc B for high rises.

The only real differences are that it's only a 2 story building.

Ok where to start. Since we've mentioned windows lets go with those. Nope, they're not fireproof, but they're not a major contributing factor to fire load and development hazard. Cladding, composite panels and the like with either XPS, EPS, PUR etc filling is. It's been campaigned about since the late 80's by the FPA because they recognised it as pretty much awful even in commercial buildings where there wasn't considered a particular threat to life. Fire brigades started a practice of not entering buildings constructed of such materials due to risk of collapsing panel liners, melting droplets of insulation material, inhalation risks and lots of other nasties. It's well established that composite panelling is extremely quick to ignite compared to other more traditional building materials and, once it does, you've got a real fight on your hands to save the building.

The design of the cladding will almost certainly be called into question too, since it is likely it created a flue effect spreading the fire much more effectively once established. Most domestic houses don't have this feature, and indeed when insulation material is fitted to external walls of houses it tends to be flush mounted to the brick and then capped / collared at all junctures and service breaks.

In short - and back to my original point:
1) I will be amazed if the building met Approved Doc B regulations.
2) Approved Doc B in itself is an abomination of building design standards which was campaigned heavily against, and with good reason, by the FPA and I'm sure other organisations more interested in property protection.
3) 1 and 2 above are probably why that side is being washed out by luvvie stuff.

mpd's house isn't a lot like Grenfell and UPVC windows aren't a lot like composites.

Grenfell had replacement aluminium windows, but feel free to carry on showing what shite you come out with.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

From the person who said the Vegas shooting was an ISIS terror cell with a white guy fall guy? Laughing Laughing

Besides, he said it wasn't for you. No wonder you forge them tax returns, with your inability to read.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: H Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

By "wrong", you actually mean mpd is "absolutely correct".

This is just for you this one. Let's look at the important bits:
I doubt fireproof cladding was a legal requirement.

It wasn't a legal requirement to have it installed, no. But to install that particular type of cladding, I can almost guarantee you (and of course I can't be 100% sure, just for the nitpickers), will be otherwise in accordance with Approved Doc B for high rises.

The only real differences are that it's only a 2 story building.

Ok where to start. Since we've mentioned windows lets go with those. Nope, they're not fireproof, but they're not a major contributing factor to fire load and development hazard. Cladding, composite panels and the like with either XPS, EPS, PUR etc filling is. It's been campaigned about since the late 80's by the FPA because they recognised it as pretty much awful even in commercial buildings where there wasn't considered a particular threat to life. Fire brigades started a practice of not entering buildings constructed of such materials due to risk of collapsing panel liners, melting droplets of insulation material, inhalation risks and lots of other nasties. It's well established that composite panelling is extremely quick to ignite compared to other more traditional building materials and, once it does, you've got a real fight on your hands to save the building.

The design of the cladding will almost certainly be called into question too, since it is likely it created a flue effect spreading the fire much more effectively once established. Most domestic houses don't have this feature, and indeed when insulation material is fitted to external walls of houses it tends to be flush mounted to the brick and then capped / collared at all junctures and service breaks.

In short - and back to my original point:
1) I will be amazed if the building met Approved Doc B regulations.
2) Approved Doc B in itself is an abomination of building design standards which was campaigned heavily against, and with good reason, by the FPA and I'm sure other organisations more interested in property protection.
3) 1 and 2 above are probably why that side is being washed out by luvvie stuff.

mpd's house isn't a lot like Grenfell and UPVC windows aren't a lot like composites.

Would you have preferred Grenfell to have had fireproof cladding then? Why not spend the money on something more important? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: H Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Would you have preferred Grenfell to have had fireproof cladding then? Why not spend the money on something more important? Confused

It's not a choice I had to make; it's not my budget to spend.

I'll go back a stage just to make absolutely clear of my intention; I'm making the point that, ultimately, the complete failure of Approved Doc B, the council planners, the building control surveyors and the sellers / installers of cheap polyurethane cladding are going to be the kickers for the inquiry. It's unlikely that any of that part of the chain has been influenced by migrant workers, asylum seekers, doleys, layabouts, dossers, muslims or any other breed of gimmedats in the eyes of the BCF's very own right-wing extremist.

That was all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:11 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: H Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

I'll go back a stage just to make absolutely clear of my intention; I'm making the point that, ultimately, the complete failure of Approved Doc B, the council planners, the building control surveyors and the sellers / installers of cheap polyurethane cladding are going to be the kickers for the inquiry. It's unlikely that any of that part of the chain has been influenced by migrant workers, asylum seekers, doleys, layabouts, dossers, muslims or any other breed of gimmedats in the eyes of the BCF's very own right-wing extremist.

That was all.

I suspect they'll find so many people to blame, that ultimately, they'll not end up blaming anyone at all.....

Expect over-the-top labour MP's to have a good old rant about it in the Guardian afterwards .....

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: H Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

That was all.

Apart from the brown envelope brigade. Shhh!
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:31 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: H Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
[Argle bargle nargle]

Gonnae no dae that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... 70s tower blocks are notoriously bad when it comes to heat loss, any insulation would be an improvement. I'm missing the bit where they picked out the most flammable one.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
It would be interesting to see the minutes of these workshops with the residents association.

I'm assuming they don't go:
"We can give you cladding but it'll be the highly flammable kind."

"No worries we'll take it".

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:28 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

It wasn’t even a consideration by the look of it, thermal and acoustic insulation levels seemed to be the only concerns.

It would be interesting to see the minutes of these workshops with the residents association.

True, but in fairness, they'd have assumed that the stuff not being dangerously flammable was a given, surely. It's like when I pick a steak. I say I want the tastiest, juiciest steak cooked just so, but I don't specify a steak that isn't riddled with botulinum toxin, I just assume thats kind of self evident...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying Celotex/kingspan and similar insulation since Grenfell has been like trying to stock up on hen lips.
I have two 100mm sheets left over from the pole studio roof/soon to be flaming hellpit Laughing and my builder is tripping
over himself to buy them off of me for the same £64 a sheet I paid for them. The shortage is also in part due to
the chemical factory in Germany that burnt down (irony alert) which produces the specific chemical used to make
such insulations. My architect said that specifying different insulation which does the job just as well while the powers
that be argue about whether it can continue to be used is proving to be a pain.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
At the time, if offered both shortly after becoming responsible for their won heating bills, do you think they would have gone for the one with less thermal and sound insulation properties, for the increased fire resistance?

Do you think they had a choice? You know how these things go. Death cladding will cost x amount, non-death cladding will cost x amount plus a small percentage... better get the death cladding.

mpd72 wrote:
Your choice, but up until this building went up, I don;t remember it being a problem with the thousands of other buildings kitted out with it.

It was, see Lakanal House (only 6 proles died tho so no biggie) and all the other examples of cladded buildings going up in flames. It took (deaths on the scale of) Grenfell for anyone to give a shit.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should get a council flat then set the building on fire.
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Maybe you should get a council flat then set the building on fire.

And hopefully he'll stay in to make sure everything is thoroughly Brown.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpety bump.

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/update/2017-12-31/manchester-apartment-blaze-demands-for-safety-review/

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably white people no ones cares. </bnp72>

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/mfedq0q.png
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 27 of 37