Fibre

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

Either way, I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what the crack is.

They'll tell you what they are striving to do and mumble something about possible funding next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I called them I asked how to get the cabinet removed.
They told me if I contacted my ISP they could move my connection to a different cabinet. ISP didn't have a clue. Further research showed that I was lied to.
I then submitted a request to remove part of their network and they told me to contact the ISP to remove the cabinet. The cabinet which has 42 separate connections in it. Brick Wall

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:05 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! I meant people who'd be hooked up to the same fibre cabinet thing. All 9f the 42 houses want fibre even if they don't know it yet.

If you're really determined to get fibre then take the issue up with local councillors and Openreach. Add Ofcom into the mix as well if you want.

You could always move house if you really, really want fibre. Laughing

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:44 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

open reach tbh just dont know WTF they are doing and will just plain lie to you. i got FTTP this year after the fibre cable having run past my house for 18 months un activated. the step between it being there and being live was a 2 hour job for 200 houses on its route! MP's were involved as well as local council. that made BT offer lip service via a no name as they had been paid several million squid to hit figures and failed badly! they did sort it in the end and its been pretty faultless TBH. running a photography business with 0.2M/bs was just impossible and the new fibre at 70MB/s is the same bloody money! Shocked Shocked

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
If you're really determined to get fibre then take the issue up with local councillors and Openreach. Add Ofcom into the mix as well if you want.

You could always move house if you really, really want fibre. Laughing

I have two letters from my MP telling me to try everything I've already tried and that they've spoken to some senior Openreach person who has confirmed they can't/won't/cba upgrade me.
Ofcom said (before this new right internets) that it's entirely their decision about their network and they aren't obligated to install anything.

I've been looking for houses but everything currently for sale anywhere that I'd want to live is either smaller, lots more expensive, has no parking or in one case, rapidly subsiding.

I've contacted every alternative broadband provider I can find and they've all said they don't cover my area. One said they could maybe do it but won't, just on the chance we get fibre and stop using them.

BT Wholesale said they could do me a leased like for £500~ per month but couldn't help to distribute it, so they'd just rig up my house with a massive bill and it would be up to me to distribute/sublet my connection to the rest of the street.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
running a photography business with 0.2M/bs was just impossible and the new fibre at 70MB/s is the same bloody money! Shocked Shocked

This is what irks me, I think a way to incentivise improvements would be a scale of reduced charges based on speed.
As it is you still have to pay full whack regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called Openreach. They told me to email the community fibre address. Again.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:10 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Ofcom said (before this new right internets) that it's entirely their decision about their network and they aren't obligated to install anything.

Contact them again then. Wink

It will take a bit of effort to get put through to people with enough clout to be able to help you. I wouldn't be too confident that they'll be able to help you unless you and the other houses are willing to get your wallets out to pay for fibre to an infinity cabinet but if you don't ask then you definitely don't get.

Satellite broadband is an option depending on how much you want faster internets.

dydey90 wrote:
I've contacted every alternative broadband provider I can find and they've all said they don't cover my area. One said they could maybe do it but won't, just on the chance we get fibre and stop using them.

If there isn't a fibre cabinet then none of them can offer you fibre.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3