Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How many owners is too many? And what do you think...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

tedtrippin
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:40 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: How many owners is too many? And what do you think... Reply with quote

Hi,

Brand new biker here!!

One question I'm trying to find the answer to - how many previous owners is too many? I've seen some great looking bikes but then notice they've had 4 owners in 4 years. Is this a hint its a problem bike that's getting passed around?

Also, any comments on CMC in Cannock or Super Bike Factory in Macclesfield? I'm off up there next week to hopefully find my first bike.

Thanks.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:10 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the bike. It's common for 125s to change hands frequently as people buy them to ride on a CBt then pass their test and move on to something bigger.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above.

It isn't uncommon to find older 125's with 10+ owners, it doesn't mean they are fucked (doesn't mean they aren't fucked either mind).

Check the logbook and see when the changes have taken place. 3 over the last few months, run a mile. 4 on 4 year overs the lifetime of the bike? Probably more to do with just wanting a change than the bike being a problem.

Condition is everything.

tedtrippin
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:23 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I'm looking for a 600cc. I've been googling all the "buying a bike" guides.

This is the bike I found...
2013 YAMAHA XJ6 600cc
4 owners
7613 miles
~£3000

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need one or two BCF volunteers, and an old sorn'd crap heap, and keep transferring ownership back and forth with me, to see if we can get former owners into triple figures. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:41 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONE previous owner may be too many, if they are the 'wrong' sort of owner.

Look at the u-vids of folk collecting thier brand new pride and joy dream-bike from the dealers and binning it n the car-park, without even one mile on the oddometer!

The log book 'former keepers' means practically nothing... and as the warning on the form, 'registration is not proof of legal ownership'.

Joke about the second hand land-rover; one previous owner, a peer of the realm none the less... Sir Alfred Macalpine!... doesn't really tell you whether it was his private pampered shooting waggon, only used for a few miles across the estate during the grouse season, and mostly used as a petrol powered picnic table, or if it was, more likely, used in the quarry, driven by a dozen laborers a day all on piece rate thrashing the cap out of it, through the mud and over bolder to make their quota!

In same vein... XJ600.. favorite of the riding schools.... a bike may have just one former recorded keeper.... the owner of the riding school! In two year period of the lease deal, may have had a couple of hundred students thrash t around the pad, and crash down gears to round about and drop t hundreds f times practicing Mod 1 U-Turns, whilst loaned to every part time instructor or mate to thrash to and from work, heedless of having to look after it, as 'school bike', and be a complete 'wreck' before even the first MOT due.

Alternatively? Could have been bought brand new, by a newbie, as it was what they learned on; used seldom and occasionally, on sunny days only, until they decided it didn't get the use to justify the monthly payments.... could have been punted around countless mates, all adding to the keeper count' on the V5, who remembered they had a bike licence, to 'get back into it', similarly cranking few miles and living most as a pampered garage trophy between times, before landing at a dealers as a trade in.

The Recorded keeper tally mans little to nothing CONDITION IS ALL.. judge the bike, n the metal, by what the metal tells you about its actual 'history', the paperwork, whether the V5 or a fully stamped franchise dealer history, or a bag of receipts from Yam-bits or wemoto, is just 'supporting evidence' for what you can see in the metal.

If you want guarantees, buy brand new and pay for them and knowledge that you are geuiely the ONLY owner... other wise, you pays your money and takes your chances. BUYER BEWARE, as they say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:44 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122728269460

A lot of vehicles are pre-reggers now, which means a dealer will show as the first keeper. It's no biggie.

Last MOT was 1 April 2017, @ 7,372 miles. Front tyre worn close to the legal limit. Presumably it's been replaced since then.

SORNed in September, so it's been sitting around for a bit but not years.

Doesn't appear to have been written off.

Price is OK.

I can't see any particular reason to be suspicious. I'd want a full year's MOT on it, mind.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 09:02 - 14 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Check the logbook and see when the changes have taken place. 3 over the last few months, run a mile. 4 on 4 year overs the lifetime of the bike? Probably more to do with just wanting a change than the bike being a problem.

Can you do that? I thought they only showed the previous owner (along with the total) and when they acquired the vehicle, but I've only got single previous owner vehicles.

Edit:
https://car-from-uk.com/photo/v5c1.jpg
So if they've only just bought it they could say it's not for me etc., there's no way to tell it's a lemon that has changed hands multiple times in a short period of time (except the total of course).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Can you do that? I thought they only showed the previous owner (along with the total) and when they acquired the vehicle, but I've only got single previous owner vehicles.

Edit:
https://car-from-uk.com/photo/v5c1.jpg
So if they've only just bought it they could say it's not for me etc., there's no way to tell it's a lemon that has changed hands multiple times in a short period of time (except the total of course).

Now you have me thinking. I'm sure I've checked that before somehow but it's going back in time a bit. My last 6 or 7 bikes have been new.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/122728269460

FTFY: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122728269460

TheFlyingEngl...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:23 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SRAD 600 has 18 or 28 owners, can't remember xD

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cbr600f with 13 previous owners in 15 years or so.

I bought it at around 32,000 miles from memory, and owned it up to 50-55,000. It did lose second gear, but otherwise was remarkably reliable!

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ZX-6R had 6 previous owners if I remember correctly. There was nothing wrong with the bike until I killed it.

Current bike had 2 previous owners. Again.. nothing wrong with the bike.

10+ previous owners would make me think, but condition of the bike would be more important to me when making my decision to buy.

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:08 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an SV650 that had 8 previous owners since 2001. My current bike is a 2009 FZ6 & has only had 1 previous owner.

Both bikes were reliable, so as long the bike's in decent nick then it should be ok.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tedtrippin
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:13 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers to all for putting my mind at rest.

Hopefully santa will get me an XJ6, or a SV650, or a FZR6, or a CBR600....

...I'm just hoping for something Smile

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number of owners, is largely irrelevant, as, you could have 15 godd owners, or, you could have 1 bad/neglectful owner. If the bike is good, then that's all that matters !!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Number of owners, is largely irrelevant, as, you could have 15 godd owners, or, you could have 1 bad/neglectful owner.

That's the thing, among those 15 owners you're increasing the likelihood of having an abusive owner, or a bodger. With low previous owners you can normally piece together a vehicles entire history.

linuxyeti wrote:
If the bike is good, then that's all that matters !!

I agree but after the experience with my bodged to buggery 125 (10 previous owners), I've stuck to low mileage/low owner vehicles, I wouldn't pay a massive premium for one but I'd definitely try to seek one out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1