Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hit and run in car park (Car) Questions and Woes..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:59 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad they didn't twat the Grid V's, that would've been shite.

The front bumper is a bit of a pig to swap on the Mk1, you'll need an extended extension on a long extension to reach some of the (no doubt) rusty, rounded nuts. So good luck with that.

I'd report it to the insurance personally, you have all the proof you need. It shouldn't affect your NCD but it will probably slightly increase your premium. It's shite that it goes up even though you weren't at fault but that's how it works unfortunately.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely go directly through their insurance for what its worth.

And report for leaving the scene of an accident (using the claim ref from their insurance company).

I dont know about alerting your own insurance of anything, If the same happened to me, I probably wouldnt.

In my experience all my insurance premiums dropped significantly at 25 anyway, soI wouldnt worry about any minor increases due to this claim-not-really-a-claim being on the system.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:25 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get their insurance details, dob them for failing to report and find their address/send a big bag of shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the help so far! Thumbs Up

For those saying to claim on insurance..

Hypothetical question time:

1. What if the driver isn't insured for some reason? Pain in the arse?

2. What if their assessor comes round, kicks some tyres, rights the car off as CAT C / whatever

Gives me 50p and a potato as they won't know the value and a CAT C car which would affect resale value in x years (Cant see me selling it)

Therefore leaving me screwed?

Cheers,
Tom

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
Glad they didn't twat the Grid V's, that would've been shite.

The front bumper is a bit of a pig to swap on the Mk1, you'll need an extended extension on a long extension to reach some of the (no doubt) rusty, rounded nuts. So good luck with that.

I'd report it to the insurance personally, you have all the proof you need. It shouldn't affect your NCD but it will probably slightly increase your premium. It's shite that it goes up even though you weren't at fault but that's how it works unfortunately.

Cheers man, I might not even bother doing the bumper if I can't find one.

I can't even find a black wing for sale.

My worry is that the bumper looks like its been pushed 'out' towards the front of the car so there is a big gap there compared to the other side which is still all neat.

Still seems to drive straight luckily I haven't had the tracking / alignment done yet as I was waiting for March/April time for a new set of rubber and alignment... or that would have really pissed me off.

Headgasket has just gone, too. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I can't help but feel I would at least feel better plastering up the video / pictures and registration all over the local facebook pages, etc. Laughing Laughing Karma Thumbs Up

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:

Mib

https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/claiming-against-an-untraced-driver/submitting-a-claim/

bikertomm wrote:

2. What if their assessor comes round, kicks some tyres, rights the car off as CAT C / whatever

Gives me 50p and a potato as they won't know the value and a CAT C car which would affect resale value in x years (Cant see me selling it)

You don't have to accept their offer. You can argue and have the opportunity to provide evidence etc, What you wont get is some mythological number that YOU think its worth through rose tinted glasses. Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:27 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the driver is not insured. MIB.

Insurance is valid regardless of MOT, it's required to get an MOT if you need to drive there. But that's his problem, not yours. I'd ring his insurance, the police, get that dealt with now.

Leave the rest up to karma. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, stop being such a fucking melt. Go by the book, tell the insurers to fuck off if they try to shaft you.

Use the reg number to find where the cunt is (if you can) and if you end up out of pocket make it your mission to cost him more. Glass, tyres, rinse and repeat until you feel the warm glow of righteous vengeance wreaked.

Or just bend over and suck it up, like most people do. Razz

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
What if the driver isn't insured for some reason?

Check: https://ownvehicle.askmid.com

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I know nothing about how insurance works.

Does anyone?

InsurancePal. The illogical reasoning ahead is clear.

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:06 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
Thanks guys for the help so far! Thumbs Up

For those saying to claim on insurance..

Hypothetical question time:

Cheers,
Tom

My experience of having someone hit my wifes car who was uninsured "untraceable". We saw it happen as she was just coming through the door, car reversed into her door.

Took drivers details and car reg.

Called 101 and her insurance to report it.

Weeks later insurance couldn't trace the driver and the police were no help. We decided to drop it and not claim through my wifes insurance and paid for the repair, fast forward a year x 3, each year any insurance policy she takes out the claim is flagged up on her record as a non fault claim even though we didn't claim anything.

Was told only 3 months ago when she came to renew, this would be the last year it will be held against her. The reason they said is apparently your more likly to have a crash in the first 12 months after a non fault claim.

Fuck the police and fuck insurance companies.

I would stay clear and repair yourself.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensi5446 wrote:
Weeks later insurance couldn't trace the driver and the police were no help. We decided to drop it and not claim through my wifes insurance and paid for the repair, fast forward a year x 3, each year any insurance policy she takes out the claim is flagged up on her record as a non fault claim even though we didn't claim anything.

Was told only 3 months ago when she came to renew, this would be the last year it will be held against her. The reason they said is apparently your more likly to have a crash in the first 12 months after a non fault claim.

Fuck the police and fuck insurance companies.

I would stay clear and repair yourself.

Because you told them about it*. It's 3-5 years depending on the insurer for how long you need to declare it for.

*although it's funny they get arsey about people not reporting incidents, that's why. If you could genuinely report bumps without it being held against you for multiple years (if there was no claim), it would be better for everyone.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:23 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Because you told them about it

Sadly the MIB untraced driver scheme does appear to require you to rat yourself out to your own insurer, and it won't pay out if you're fully comp.

So, that's about as useful as... calling your own insurer.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what would be required to reform British insurance to a state that wasn't quite so insulting for the average prole?

I mean really, if you look at this crap objectively, it is really quite disgusting.

The OP appears to be some model driving citizen, and yet all faults are his for having the temerity of paying through the nose to park in a multi-storey carpark.

Da'literal fuq?

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
I wonder what would be required to reform British insurance to a state that wasn't quite so insulting for the average prole?

I mean really, if you look at this crap objectively, it is really quite disgusting.

The OP appears to be some model driving citizen, and yet all faults are his for having the temerity of paying through the nose to park in a multi-storey carpark.

Da'literal fuq?

As with many abusive and exploitative industries in this pig-capitalist shithole, insurance needs to be taken into public ownership and run by the govt at cost. It's an unregulated mafia cartel that's not fit for purpose.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 118 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2