Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

YBR125 oil level

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cavallo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: YBR125 oil level Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

after an oil change on my 2016 ybr125, i use a liter oil as it is instructed in the user manual, but the dip stick shows that level is over the mark. i do not screw the cap just seat it with the hole. any one expericned the same thing on a ybr? Rolling Eyes

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the motorcycle level? even the slightest lean right and it'll show the oil level over the top notch.

How far above are we talking about? Did you clean the dipstick before the measurement? Did you change the oil filter as well? Oil filters hold a ceretain amount of oil in them. If you have too much oil before you even started the engine, then the filter might still be empty (fix = start the engine, let the oil circulate the system first. Then turn it off, let the oil sit and take the measurement).

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: YBR125 oil level Reply with quote

Cavallo wrote:
Hi Guys,

after an oil change on my 2016 ybr125, i use a liter oil as it is instructed in the user manual, but the dip stick shows that level is over the mark. i do not screw the cap just seat it with the hole. any one expericned the same thing on a ybr? Rolling Eyes

Thanks

How much oil came out? It's difficult to get it all out so you'll probably have ~150ml sloshing about in there somewhere before you've even started to fill. This is why it's always best to stick ~80% of the required oil amount in, check and then top up gradually until the right level is achieved, rather than just relying on quantity.

But anyway, how far over the mark is it? I can't imagine that you retained a significant amount of the old oil however you did it. I doubt, therefore, that it's significantly overfilled. As such, it'll likely be absolutely fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Did you change the oil filter as well? Oil filters hold a ceretain amount of oil in them.

Hasn't got one mate; just a strainer.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR doesn't have an oil filter, it uses an oil strainer

Certainly didn't notice the same, in fact mine took just over a litre (well, presuming Motul didn't short change me)

How exactly did you measure a litre?

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's normal for any bike to not take the exact volume of oil required.

I don't bother measure volumes, and just go off of the dipstick.

if the bike is upright/on its centre stand, then it sounds like you have added too much oil.

You could try removing some with a syringe, if you don't want to undo the drain plug.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR's don't like being overfilled, makes shifting a proper arse.

A Syringe and aquarium tubing work wonders.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 13:19 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know you only put the ltr in it just leave it be and it will be fine.

The oil capacity of 1 ltr is stated for the engine when shiny new and empty, most oil changes leave a little bit behind (or alot depending on the engine) which will change the reading.
As long as it isnt significantly over it wont cause a problem. Thumbs Up

Cavallo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: YBR125 oil level Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Cavallo wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks

How much oil came out? It's difficult to get it all out so you'll probably have ~150ml sloshing about in there somewhere before you've even started to fill. This is why it's always best to stick ~80% of the required oil amount in, check and then top up gradually until the right level is achieved, rather than just relying on quantity.

But anyway, how far over the mark is it? I can't imagine that you retained a significant amount of the old oil however you did it. I doubt, therefore, that it's significantly overfilled. As such, it'll likely be absolutely fine.

I purchased the bike from new. The first time i checked it was over filled as well and i took out some oil as i tought it had eccessive oil. But after the first change, it is over filled by a 1 liter oil.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:32 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: YBR125 oil level Reply with quote

Cavallo wrote:

I purchased the bike from new. The first time i checked it was over filled as well and i took out some oil as i tought it had eccessive oil. But after the first change, it is over filled by a 1 liter oil.

Did you ensure it was level when you drained the oil? If you didn't you wouldn't have drained it all.

I recently helped someone with a CBR125 do an oil change and it swallowed up a litre without trouble and I had to add some more after.

Cavallo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: YBR125 oil level Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Cavallo wrote:

Did you ensure it was level when you drained the oil? If you didn't you wouldn't have drained it all.

I recently helped someone with a CBR125 do an oil change and it swallowed up a litre without trouble and I had to add some more after.
i used a syringe from the filler hole.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't you just take the drain plug out?

Cavallo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
i used the syringe when I removed the extra oil. At the first service, i took it the to dealer and he drained the oil from the drain plug.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:27 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cavallo wrote:
arry wrote:
i used the syringe when I removed the extra oil. At the first service, i took it the to dealer and he drained the oil from the drain plug.

How do you know that it only took a litre, then?

Cavallo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know that it only took a litre, then?[/quote]

at the service i provided the oil and i watched the mechanic putting in all the oil. it was a 1 litre bottle

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:17 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cavallo wrote:

at the service i provided the oil and i watched the mechanic putting in all the oil. it was a 1 litre bottle

I'm calling sock.

No-one does that

Cavallo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:32 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Cavallo wrote:

I'm calling sock.

No-one does that

What? I did not understand. Sorry

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
YBR's don't like being overfilled, makes shifting a proper arse.

A Syringe and aquarium tubing work wonders.

And if you don't have a syringe to hand, can use the pump from a handwash dispenser. Thumbs Up

Oh wait, this is BCF. So a handwash is a thing.....nevermind.

EDIT: As others have said, its 1L from new. Plus, measurement is taken when engine has been run.

2. Start the engine, warm it up for several minutes, and then turn it off.
3. Wait a few minutes until the oil set-tles, remove the oil filler cap, wipe the dipstick clean, insert it back into the oil filler hole (without screwing it in), and then remove it again to check the oil level.

Last edited by Pigeon on 00:43 - 07 Dec 2017; edited 2 times in total

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^With the granules when you get to my age.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

YBR Ric
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:43 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll remove a different amount of oil dependent on if it's just been drained on the centre stand, on the side stand or if drained on the side stand then pushed upright and leant back on the side stand again.

Continue to check the oil level on the dipstick with it resting on the filler hole - not screwed in as you've already done.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1