Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SPECS & Number Plates

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

KingKong
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:29 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: SPECS & Number Plates Reply with quote

Hi

Was explaining how SPECS work to friend's enquiring son (9 years old). He then asked 'how would it work on vehicles without number plates'. He got me there as I'm not sure, so it's got me wondering how it would work, surely there's a system in place to detect no plate and [IDK] trace the vehicle?

Any takers?

Past - 2016 Ninja 300 (dark grey); K4 GSXR 600 (sexy yellow); 2002 CBR600FS; 2004 GSXR 1000; 2006 Kwak 636; 2005 Yamaha XVS 1100 Dragstar (facepalm); 2005 Kwak 636; 2011 Yamaha R125.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you gonna trace a vehicle with no visible identification? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KingKong
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:36 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Authorities could track via traffic cameras/CCTV?

Past - 2016 Ninja 300 (dark grey); K4 GSXR 600 (sexy yellow); 2002 CBR600FS; 2004 GSXR 1000; 2006 Kwak 636; 2005 Yamaha XVS 1100 Dragstar (facepalm); 2005 Kwak 636; 2011 Yamaha R125.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess would be it would log it as unidentifiable. It would then store this for an operator to look at it.

You could then trace the route of the unidentifiable through the system at each possible junction.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: SPECS & Number Plates Reply with quote

KingKong wrote:
Hi

Was explaining how SPECS work to friend's enquiring son (9 years old). He then asked 'how would it work on vehicles without number plates'. He got me there as I'm not sure, so it's got me wondering how it would work, surely there's a system in place to detect no plate and [IDK] trace the vehicle?

Any takers?

SPECS cameras don't look for vehicles. They look for number plates. It's essentially automatic character recognition.

If you don't have a plate, the camera doesn't even see you.

Think of all the false positives the system would throw on front facing cameras for motorbikes.....

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:54 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I don't want to get reported or identified, I ride without a plate. There would be no way to identify unless you matched the gear to the person but even then... Pretty hard.

So they probably can't tell for shit. Laughing

KingKong
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:31 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
When I don't want to get reported or identified, I ride without a plate. There would be no way to identify unless you matched the gear to the person but even then... Pretty hard.

That's incredibly risky - all it takes is to ride past an unmarked unit and you're done (unless you've the balls and skill to 'run' from the police on your bike. Or get SMIDSYd and caught out that way.

An easier method of avoiding detection is to install a number plate flipper, but recent news reveals police are checking for these as they're apparently on the rise, carrying an instant arrest; any 'justification' would be for the Court to assess (chances of acquittal are remote). Otherwise I would love to have one.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:55 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKong wrote:
That's incredibly risky - all it takes is to ride past an unmarked unit and you're done (unless you've the balls and skill to 'run' from the police on your bike. Or get SMIDSYd and caught out that way.

What do you mean my plate is missing...?

Wink

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Wink

I got away with that one twice when my L plates somehow fell off. Mr. Green

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Golgarth
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local lad passed through a set of specs cameras each day on his way to work. He had no plate. The police sat and waited one day for him (he had amassed more than 15 speeding fines.
Simple case of putting bike/clothing/lid as a match.

Another was caught for going around 90 through a forward facing camera, thought he would get away with it. The police traced him through local cctv to when he arrived at work.

If they want to catch you, they will try everything they can.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Wink

I got away with that one twice when my L plates somehow fell off. Mr. Green

Risking a lot more trying it on with missing L plates. 3 points for that, just a fine for number plate missing.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:22 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golgarth wrote:
A local lad passed through a set of specs cameras each day on his way to work. He had no plate. The police sat and waited one day for him (he had amassed more than 15 speeding fines.
Simple case of putting bike/clothing/lid as a match.

Another was caught for going around 90 through a forward facing camera, thought he would get away with it. The police traced him through local cctv to when he arrived at work.

If they want to catch you, they will try everything they can.

This, do it once in a blue moon and don't take the piss and they won't bother putting the effort in.

Do really stupid shit and make a pattern out of it then they'll take an hour out of their day to sit and nab you or use the mountain of other cctv to track you down.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1