Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ever had a 'I goofed up, shoulda gone in the car' day?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

@G: sticking studs in old tyres - is that even legal?

On the Autobahn, officer.

Ist das auf der autobahn überhaupt legal? Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Correct me if I'm assuming wrong, but to me all you commuters to work that do some or all of the time on two wheels, are simply travelling from warm home to a warm cosy office or warehouse/factory?

What about the BCF'ers and there must be some, that are mobile workers, visiting multiple sites per day, like sub stations, construction sites, IT centres etc?

You fuckers like me must use a works van/truck or a private/fleet/lease car with mileage expense claims? Bike commuting whatever the weather is no good for tradesmen, engineers, highways maintenance or electricity network staff etc.

Fleet vehicle but I can't take it home. Working outdoors puts the commute into perspective.

marlc0
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:05 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a course to do at the end of November, and decided to take the bike, because it was an early start, and i don't like sitting in traffic. When i was leaving, it was cold, but clear, so thought it would be a decent day. Whe i parked up at the course, it started snowing. 5 hours later, I came out to see this.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You left your lights on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:42 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
I don't have the CAR option, I never learned to drive...

Anyway today I managed to get to London through the snow but FARKED UP by wearing the WRONG farking Boots... My feet got so soaked, weather forecast was a tad wrong.

I remember snow, but nowhere near enough to settle, not by a long shot. Where in London was that...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't go to work on the bike, I'm not going to work. No intentio of getting a car license back, and there's no bus services that get you there at a reasonable time. The snow wasn't pleasant with spunkguzzlers in white vans tailgating.

As for cosy, it's either stupidly hot (multiple 500-700c heat treatment ovens) or stupidly cold at this time of year, (all doors open because of aforementioned heat, air current over my workspace).

Shit happens, you deal with it, or you don't, I still prefer the bike over the bus, even if it did get there in time.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on the working outside thing to put cold winter commutes into perspective. I spend 50-70% of my time working outside, and theres days where I've fell over several times in the ice/snow just carrying tools and equipment round.

I've when working in remote areas, got vehicles stuck in snow/ice or on off road tracks and access lanes, and these are 3-7.5t vehicles with big chunky treaded tyres. There's no part of my day suitable for bike commuting, except as MC says from the nearest depot to home and back.

I can walk there in 20min, or if I have to park at the main depot/workshop if I'm van sharing it's a 30min train ride and a 10min walk max at the other end.how do you lot get on that have to take your own tools and equipment to work?

Bike commuting is out if that's the case surely?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:34 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
The snow wasn't pleasant with spunkguzzlers in white vans tailgating.

That's another thing. So many drivers, as soon as they detect you might be a little more vulnerable than usual, seem to want to make things as dangerous as possible for you. "Bad conditions? I'll drive like even more of a twat than usual" Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
If I don't go to work on the bike, I'm not going to work. No intentio of getting a car license back,

How does that work?, If you've had a car license, got banned then passed a bike test then you get your car license back too.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:02 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I've when working in remote areas, got vehicles stuck in snow/ice or on off road tracks and access lanes, and these are 3-7.5t vehicles with big chunky treaded tyres.

With an appropriate bike with appropriate tyres you can get most places a car will do and probably actually more flexible. Generally green lane situations which seem pretty challenging to cars would require little skill on something like my KTM690 - and could be approached a lot faster.

Ice/snow on the flat more of an issue.

Any signifcant amount of tools and you'll need those 4 wheels - but the situations which you describe I'd probably go for them anyway, as it doesn't sound like bikes have any particular advantages (traffic etc).

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
If I don't go to work on the bike, I'm not going to work. No intentio of getting a car license back,

How does that work?, If you've had a car license, got banned then passed a bike test then you get your car license back too.

Everyone else, including instructors and the DVLA, says I have to take a car test. If you know otherwise, please enlighten me, I know the DVLA can be wobbly and make shit up as they go along, but I've had the same answer 3 times now.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Everyone else, including instructors and the DVLA, says I have to take a car test. If you know otherwise, please enlighten me, I know the DVLA can be wobbly and make shit up as they go along, but I've had the same answer 3 times now.

It was a while ago now but my mate was banned in a car, he didn't have a bike licence at the time.

He took his bike test and his new licence came back with his car entitlement restored, he even queried it with the dvla and they confirmed that he had both entitlements.

He was banned in the 90's and took his bike test about 2004ish

Similar thing here to
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1475181

Last edited by duhawkz on 10:21 - 28 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:20 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice studs for putting in tyres are great.

I had a pair of studded tyres for a previous push bike which were excellent. Cycling over black ice was no problem. Cycling past cars which were struggling to pull away and were wheel spinning was even better thanks to the very confused look on the drivers face. Laughing

You had to be careful when putting a foot down when stopped at lights or a junction and because of how much grip the tyres have, you've also got to be careful once you've got off the bike.

10/10, can recommend Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres, would buy again. Thumbs Up They're not cheap (good tyres never are Laughing) but your other equally expensive normal tyres aren't been used so it all balances out.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

when we had that bit of snow the other week all the local bus services were stopped due to health and safety
so wouldn't have been any use anyway

I was the only one who turned up every day of the week on time

didn't take bike or car

I walked

it takes about 15 minutes there and two hours home

may or may not have stopped for a couple of pints on way home due to the fact I was walking Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

I walked

it takes about 15 minutes there and two hours home

may or may not have stopped for a couple of pints on way home due to the fact I was walking Laughing

This man is doing it right, and has earned more man points in two hours than most of you earn in 10 years of winter riding Wink Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ok with negative but warm and dry lady points.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolled out the cbr today, cold but dry. I'll just pop out for some bits of shopping.
Wise choice, traffic near the local retail park was nose to tail, gotta get them bargains yo.

Smugly pulled into the retail park and dumped it right by the door.
Righto, just go and get a bit of food shopping, filtered out and finished that errand off, total smugmode engaged.

Right, off home now. Hmm, getting a bit cold, bit sparkly on the road?!
Pulled into my street, which is by now an ice rink. That, and being on an incline made it very interesting. Left it in gear while on the sidestand to stop it rolling, while opening the gate, had to grab into the car to make it down the steep driveway on foot.

Luckily the bottom was out of the chilling wind so once I'd rode the bike down past the icy driveway I could just use the brakes as normal.

Can't even say paying more attention to the weather forecast would have helped.
Feel I had a lucky escape tonight, after vowing previously to not use the bike if there was a chance of ice.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
When your bikes value is equivalent to 1 takeaway dinner, its not really an issue.

https://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/306/FlipTable.jpg

absolutely done Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3