BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MZ 150 ETZ, Rhyno's super fun time in the garage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, at least I'll get a bit more practice taking the wheel off and putting it back on again. Razz

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, today the owner of the MZ, my mate, checked my work and was satisfied. I didn't ruin the bearing after all. But, now I've got a completely different issue. A huge oil leak into the sprocket cover and it's not from the seal on the output shaft that I changed, nor the gasket of the seal carrier plate.

It almost looks like the gearbox oil comes out through the actuall output shaft, where the clutch push rod goes. Is it even possible and how to solve this issues? The leak is even worse than it was, so the odds are, me poking around while reseasling the output shaft made it somehow worse and the intitial leak was not where I thought it was. Thinking

Any thoughts?

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
So, today the owner of the MZ, my mate, checked my work and was satisfied. I didn't ruin the bearing after all. But, now I've got a completely different issue. A huge oil leak into the sprocket cover and it's not from the seal on the output shaft that I changed, nor the gasket of the seal carrier plate.

It almost looks like the gearbox oil comes out through the actuall output shaft, where the clutch push rod goes. Is it even possible and how to solve this issues? The leak is even worse than it was, so the odds are, me poking around while reseasling the output shaft made it somehow worse and the intitial leak was not where I thought it was. Thinking

Any thoughts?

probably lost an o-ring or seal off the pushrod

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've seen one, while taking it apart. Thinking

Here's the diagram (21 is the push rod)

https://www.ost2rad-ersatzteilkatalog.de/images/etz-150-kupplung.gif

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blocked breather? overfilled the gearbox?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'm going to drain the oil and then put the right amout in there. The check level screw should be easy to remove, to get the right oil level inside the box.

Looking at the diagram now, I'm definitely missing the little ball (no. 20). I asked the owner and he does seem to remember modifing something in the push mechanism, because the rod was too short and he though the ball was already inside (Jawas do have them inside). Well, this will be fun as well.

Breather wise, I have no idea where to look. There is none on the top of the gearbox.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, today I had some free time to play in the garage.

The gearbox was overfilled, very overfilled. I removed the sump plug, let it drain (took long enough, I had 4 stroke engines with much more oil drain quicker), then I decided to remove the oil level screw and there was still a lot of oil in the clutch cover. Looking at the pot where I drained it, I'd say 1.5-1.7L (maybe close to 2L) of oil was in that gearbox. How much is enough I do not know.

Then, I had a ''Fazer moment'' Mad .
I put the sump plug back in, left the oil level screw off (to see when to stop pouring) and started filling the gearbox. I only had about half of a 1L bottle of gearbox oil, so I started pouring it in, and when I was in the middle, I decided to check the oil level screw hole, nothing was comming out. So, I decided to continue pouring, checking the hole again and nothing.

I was about to leave the garage to buy some more gearbox oil, when I noticed the oil was pissing from the oil level screw hole. It took the oil about 30-40 minutes to get to the clutch cover. Embarassed

So, I left it drain a bit from that oil level screw hole, not much came out, I was probably close to the right amount of oil. Then I put the screw back there, and had a short run to check if the gearbox still leaks.

I'm quite pleased with the results of today's efforts. Before the oil change, the gearbox seemed loud to me and finding the neutral with the motorcycle stationary was a real challenge. Now it works perfect and it is quite nice to use.
So far, there are no leaks, so I'd say it's going to be alright.

The old gearbox oil smells terrible, burned clutch plates with some petrol scent and something I can't quite place.

Q: Petrol smell in a two stroke gearbox oil? Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:03 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Q: Petrol smell in a two stroke gearbox oil? Thinking

Leaking LHS crank seal?

Carb overflow/spilled fuel running in through gearbox breather hole. Maybe this is why it was overfull? You got a leaky carb/occasionally sticking float?

Old EP90 oil stinks pretty badly and goes like diarrhoea after a while. Old MZs used to come from the factory with weird green oil-like stuff in the gearbox that REALLY stinks.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the carburetor used to have leakage issues. Some drips on the gearbox, but nothing excesive. That was about 5 years ago, then the motorcycle was not in use until this year when I did the MOT and started fixing stuff.

After I fixed the major, but slow, leak around the gearbox output shaft, the gearbox started to loose oil quickly, very quickly. After a short ride it would fill the front sprocket cover and the oil was then drained into the chain cover and leaked all over the rear wheel when the bike was stationary in the garage. Even after that, as I was draining the gearbox the other day, there was still way to much of it.

As far as I know, this could be the very first oil change in 10+ years, that's how long my mate owns it. It is very possible the gearbox was overfilled when the current owner bought the motorcycle.

Q: Where is the gearbox vent? Is it the gearbox output shaft, where the clutch push rod goes? Other place of interest could be the hole, if it is a hole, on the right hand side, close to the front sprocket cover.
This hole (left = filler hole with the plug; right = ???):
https://img16.rajce.idnes.cz/d1602/3/3132/3132867_c748732d42d1c923c35b9e0800a85bd9/images/motor_MZ_150_ETZ_5.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:51 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my jawa it was (literally) a small hole in the top of the crankcase. Say about 4mm in diameter.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I FOUND IT!!!

Today, I found the gearbox breather. I dropped something near the MZ, so when I got down to pick it up, I saw something odd. The gearbox filler plug had a rectangular hole in it. I removed it and checked around and indeed this is the breather!!! It was full of dirt, carb cleaner wouldn't even flow through at first.

This thing on the top of the gearbox:
https://www.moto-ustinl.eu/www/obrazky/medium/600263.jpg?22.10.20174:05:27
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2